Daily grats....what are the inside tips on changing or adjusting these??

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You think there are 1000 bar crew on a Carnival ship? I know they have a bar every 10 feet on most ships, but they don't even have that many cabin stewards and the largest department on the ship is the hotel department.

The bar tip pool would include all bartenders, all baristas, all drink servers at all venues, all crew who work the P/D cocktail parties, Lido roving waiters, those hawking waters at port stops, those working service on the private islands, weddings, private events

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The bar tip pool would include all bartenders, all baristas, all drink servers at all venues, all crew who work the P/D cocktail parties, Lido roving waiters, those hawking waters at port stops, those working service on the private islands, weddings, private events

Correct, and there is no way there are 1000 of them on even the Excel class ships.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Maybe, maybe not but until the employees that work for tips and the companies that use them want to end the practice, it won't end. I have no trouble with tipping and once I've left a tip I no longer care what happens to it. There have been times where I probably tipped someone who was making more than I made at that point in my life, but I still gave them a tip because they earned it.

Every day, most of us pay for services to people who make far more than us but it seems just the service industry people are the focus for their couple of bucks.  My dentist, plumber, medical doc even the snow removal guy probably make more than I but I just pay the bill.  

I actually think there is more unspeakable biases at work  when it comes to all cruise related tipping threads. 😔

39 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You think there are 1000 bar crew on a Carnival ship? I know they have a bar every 10 feet on most ships, but they don't even have that many cabin stewards and the largest department on the ship is the hotel department.

Bar crew are members of the hotel staff

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

In our for what it's worth department, our head waiter on our last cruise confirmed that she and her staff do share in the gratuity for drinks sold by them in the dining room and they get to keep any additional tip provided if someone has Cheers.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, KarlK said:

exactly! I remove then pay cash to whom I see fit though out the cruise. Some receiving only after the week.

To be clear- I didn't give this answer as a ringing endorsement of the practice and I find people who do this to just kind of not get the overall process or point.

I was just answering OP's original question simply as they asked.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:41 AM, bigdog1958 said:

How much do you leave on the table on the lido deck for those workers if you remove the gratuities

I have never seen people leave money for those workers. People always say I give money to the waiters in the MDR, but eat more meals on the lido deck, especially breakfast  and lunch.

We leave the auto gratuities in place, but leave a couple of dollars on the table when we eat on the Lido deck.

21 hours ago, KarlK said:

exactly! I remove then pay cash to whom I see fit though out the cruise. Some receiving only after the week. I rarely use MDR so daily tipping there is a waste. Some cruises I drink, others I do not, so bartenders may or may not receive. Plus I have had some bad room keep in the past, VERY rare, but it has happened. I like having the control who gets my hard earned money

Except the control is completely illusory. It's like handing a waitress in a land-based establishment that pools tips a $100 bill with a tricky wink and saying, "this is only for you, don't put it in the tip pool". The waitress may assure you that she won't, but she probably will (although there are some who wouldn't, human nature being what it is).

For me as a customer having the gratuities added to my account removes all of the guess work out of it since who is supposed to get a share of it, does. It also keeps me from having to carry a lot of cash around. Then if a crew member does something that warrants providing extra then I can do that, knowing that said crew member receives the full benefit of that extra. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:01 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The guest list contains who prepays, who hasn't and who pulls them and are posted in crew areas.  Those who prepaid is on the embarkation list with your picture so stewards can identify you.  Guest Services people freely share who removed them and what stories are told to justify.  

Is this confirmed, do we know this to be true?

16 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

Is this confirmed, do we know this to be true?

There is very little actual true information shared on tipping threads. There is a lot of conjecture and people acting like they know what they're talking about (a thousand bar crew? on a ship with at most 1800 total crew? lol). Lots of ego in tipping threads.

According to JH the list of guests who remove gratuities is not shared with tipped crew.

The conjecture that guest services remembers the names of guests who remove gratuities, then cross-references those lists with the crew and then tells the crew in confidence - how much sense does that make. When you think about it for 5 seconds it just doesn't make sense.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Some have no salary and make a living off of gratuities.

1785651528_bicycletaxi.png.6fe9fcbd57602

Yes, but they are working for money, they aren't volunteering. The expectation is that the customer will tip them for their services.

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

There is very little actual true information shared on tipping threads. There is a lot of conjecture and people acting like they know what they're talking about (a thousand bar crew? on a ship with at most 1800 total crew? lol). Lots of ego in tipping threads.

According to JH the list of guests who remove gratuities is not shared with tipped crew.

The conjecture that guest services remembers the names of guests who remove gratuities, then cross-references those lists with the crew and then tells the crew in confidence - how much sense does that make. When you think about it for 5 seconds it just doesn't make sense.

The list itself is not shared, but if a passenger in the crew member's area removes tips their supervisor is informed and the crew member is then questioned about it. 

12 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, but they are working for money, they aren't volunteering. The expectation is that the customer will tip them for their services.

The same expectation as many cruise line staff have.

12 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The list itself is not shared, but if a passenger in the crew member's area removes tips their supervisor is informed and the crew member is then questioned about it. 

Certainly sometimes it is. One has been posted on CC before. From the current cruise.

45 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

More misinformation passed off as fact. Par for the course in tipping threads. In reality, JH says that crew performance is not tied to gratuities.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

More misinformation passed off as fact. Par for the course in tipping threads. In reality, JH says that crew performance is not tied to gratuities.

I've heard it from numerous insiders. It needn't be strictly about performance in any case. A manager in a service oriented business wants to know why a customer removed tips so he or she goes to the person that dealt with them for info.

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I've heard it from numerous insiders. It needn't be strictly about performance in any case. A manager in a service oriented business wants to know why a customer removed tips so he or she goes to the person that dealt with them for info.

The implication of your comment (at least the way I read it) was the crew member would be accused of doing something wrong if the guest removed gratuities, and thus their performance would be docked. According to JH, gratuity behavior does not figure in to crew appraisals.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

How is it misinformation?