Daily grats....what are the inside tips on changing or adjusting these??

Carnival will automatically add $16.00 per day, per guest to your onboard account for standard accommodations

Do you have to wait to the last day to do anything or can you do adjustments during the cruise??....On HAL my wife can go to the front desk any time during the cruise and fill out a form to how much she wants to pay.....and then the bill at the end is automatically adjusted to the new amount as an example.....Thanks

1 minute ago, Kelownabccan said:

Carnival will automatically add $16.00 per day, per guest to your onboard account for standard accommodations

Do you have to wait to the last day to do anything or can you do adjustments during the cruise??....On HAL my wife can go to the front desk any time during the cruise and fill out a form to how much she wants to pay.....and then the bill at the end is automatically adjusted to the new amount as an example.....Thanks

They will be added to your sail and sign account unless you pay them in advance.  Leave them in place.  If you remove them, any cash you may give to the hard working folks that make your vacation a vacation, gets turned in. They are allowed keep extra gratuities when the auto tips remain in place.  Those tips get divided among many, many people,  

• Like 10

Just pay them. Don't be cheap about it, the crew works super hard to ensure your vacation is a great and memorable one, and deserve the bare minimum!

Those tips are divided between many many people including your wait staff, room stewards, and more. Unless the service is just exceptionally poor and you had a very bad experience then that's something I could see, in which case you could go to Guest Services and have them sort it out. With lowering gratuities maybe being one option then. 

Edited by bg2310
  • Like 9

Typical comments....do not do anything.....but My wife loves to give grats to the room steward every second day or so....a very nice amount....and also to the table service guys and gals......and others she likes...plus when we do drinks there is more grats.......is there a way to lower the $16 she will get also charged each day..she really liked the "old ways"...lol...for me I just give the grats at the end on the bill......On Hal she goes to the desk and they fill out a form on how much she wants to give....

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Typical comments....do not do anything.....but My wife loves to give grats to the room steward every second day or so....a very nice amount....and also to the table service guys and gals......and others she likes...plus when we do drinks there is more grats.......is there a way to lower the $16 she will get also charged each day..she really liked the "old ways"...lol...for me I just give the grats at the end on the bill......On Hal she goes to the desk and they fill out a form on how much she wants to give....

As stated, if you remove any part of the auto tip, that extra she thinks she is giving to the people she like, they do not get it.  They turn it in to the tip pool in full and it is split ship wide. The charge is stated per day but it is not charged each day.  It comes out in a lump sum.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

no one answered the question.....can you do anything during the cruise or have to wait to last day???

Do what?  Give extra?  Sure.  Go to GS and add more.  Go as many times as you want.  Go first day, go last day, go both day.  

You can paid it in full before your cruise at Carnival.com and continue to tip extra in cash.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

no one answered the question.....can you do anything during the cruise or have to wait to last day???

Yes. You can go to guest service sat anytime and change/modify/add/remove to your hearts desire, as with on any other line.

• Like 2

If you do not prepay gratuities, the total amount for each day's gratuities is added to your Sign & Sail account on the final day of the cruise. It is also this day which you are able to go to Guest Services and lower or add to your gratuities as you see fit (although you might be able to do this at any point I'm not sure).

Edited by bg2310

21 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

You don't wait until the end; it's around day 3 but varies based on length of cruise. So, you or your wife goes to Guest Services on day 1 or day 2 and ask what day you need to come back to have grats adjusted. They will tell you when to return.

Adjusting grats does not necessarily mean removing them - adjusting can be up or down.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

You don't wait until the end; it's around day 3 but varies based on length of cruise. So, you or your wife goes to Guest Services on day 1 or day 2 and ask what day you need to come back to have grats adjusted. They will tell you when to return.

Adjusting grats does not necessarily mean removing them - adjusting can be up or down.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Thank you.....you win the prize for answering the question....lol.....that is all I needed to know.....do not wait until the last day.....all the ships we have been on the last day is always a zoo at the front desk.....so do you planning ahead.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bg2310 said:

If you do not prepay gratuities, the total amount for each day's gratuities is added to your Sign & Sail account on the final day of the cruise. It is also this day which you are able to go to Guest Services and lower or add to your gratuities as you see fit (although you might be able to do this at any point I'm not sure).

Thanks also......it seems you may be able to give direction on what you want to do ahead....time will tell.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

As stated, if you remove any part of the auto tip, that extra she thinks she is giving to the people she like, they do not get it.  They turn it in to the tip pool in full and it is split ship wide. The charge is stated per day but it is not charged each day.  It comes out in a lump sum.  

Not sure I agree with your statement....I am pretty sure when she slips $20 into the room stewards hand with no one seeing...he or she is not running off handing it in and telling the boss.....but who really knows....not me......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Not sure I agree with your statement....I am pretty sure when she slips $20 into the room stewards hand with no one seeing...he or she is not running off handing it in and telling the boss.....but who really knows....not me......

If you're so sure, why are you asking for inside tips?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

I have palmed extra money to my head waiter only to watch him hand it to the lowest member of the team to keep until they could do whatever they do with it. I am certainly not going to project 

• Thanks 1

Some of that $16 per person/per day goes to crew members that you will never see or interact with that work very hard for your vacation, and no one goes around and tips them after removing their daily service charge (or whatever you wanna call it.) Prepay it then it wont show up on your final bill, and count it as part of the fare. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

Some of that $16 per person/per day goes to crew members that you will never see or interact with that work very hard for your vacation, and no one goes around and tips them after removing their daily service charge (or whatever you wanna call it.) Prepay it then it wont show up on your final bill, and count it as part of the fare. 

That contradicts information earlier in this thread. Only one person can be correct.

In my experience, you have to wait until the automatic gratuities have posted to your account before you can make changes to them. That means you'll have to wait in the line on the last night of the cruise to adjust or remove the automatic gratuities.

42 minutes ago, mz-s said:

That contradicts information earlier in this thread. Only one person can be correct.

In my experience, you have to wait until the automatic gratuities have posted to your account before you can make changes to them. That means you'll have to wait in the line on the last night of the cruise to adjust or remove the automatic gratuities.

Gratuities for us have always posted to our account on the second or third day.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Just like in many land based establishments tips are pooled and divvied up in accordance with agreements customers know nothing about. It is a matter of honor for a crew member who receives cash to verify that the customer left the auto gratuities in place, and if the customer did that than the crew member gets to keep it. If they did not then the crew member needs to turn it in. So, by removing the gratuities and tipping in cash customers are making these hard working crew members waste their precious off time to sort this out. (This is what I have discerned over years of reading different thread and articles about shipboard tipping.)

• Like 3

I always tell to whomever I am handing an envelope, that this (the envelope) is in addition to my pre-paid tips.  Is that enough so my envelope money doesn't go into a community pot to be divided? Does the staff (MDR and Room) know I've paid my gratuities already before the cruise starts?  Thanks!!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Are you suggesting that room attendants are dishonest and steal from their fellow team members?  

18 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I always tell to whomever I am handing an envelope, that this (the envelope) is in addition to my pre-paid tips.  Is that enough so my envelope money doesn't go into a community pot to be divided? Does the staff (MDR and Room) know I've paid my gratuities already before the cruise starts?  Thanks!!

Yes, they know.  It isn't confidential. They also live with the Guest Services people and service industry share guest information especially about this, giving them a heads up. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

I assume you are going to adjust it for more, and not remove them. These people literally work their butts off for quest. Please don't remove or lower the tip amount...

• Like 3