What new ship will come to Los Angeles in 2025?

There's talk of a Quantum Class ship coming to Los Angeles in 2025 and just wondering if you think it will be Anthem or Ovation? Anthem will be going into dry dock so it would be able to get the power needed for the Los Angeles port. What are your thoughts?

25 minutes ago, KJL53 said:

There's talk of a Quantum Class ship coming to Los Angeles in 2025 and just wondering if you think it will be Anthem or Ovation? Anthem will be going into dry dock so it would be able to get the power needed for the Los Angeles port. What are your thoughts?

Just curious, what are the differences in power requirements? 

19 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Highly doubtful anything but Navigator. They can hardly fill it at half the price of East Coast sailings and it is an amped ship. 

Half the price? Hardly. Prices there are no different than east coast sailings. Sometimes even more expensive.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Just curious, what are the differences in power requirements? 

They need to be able to plug into this while in port instead of running the engines for power.

image.thumb.png.4d505fe28939a7d7d6530f90c54fac3c.png

• Thanks 1

I would love to see a newer ship in Los Angeles full time, as this is our home port. When we first started cruising in the 90s we only sailed from Los Angeles and Long Beach, but after our first Caribbean cruise on a newer ship in the early 2000s we've regularly flown to Galveston or the Florida ports.  We like the newer ships and the Caribbean ports much better than the Pacific side of Mexico.  Growing up in Southern California we have regularly taken trips to many of these areas, Mexico has changed a lot.   But we'd consider returning to sailing from our home port on a newer ship, especially a Quantum class ship since we've yet to sail on one.  There's a reason why we always have the older ships here, I think Carnival had one of their newest ships at the time here several years ago only to have it replaced by an older ship now.  

When the initial schedule came out, travel agents were privvied to the ships (see page 21 of this thread). That would appear Anthem would be the ship...however, I think everything is up in the air until we see what Royal announces regarding Anthem heading to Asia and how she goes about getting there.

_

1 hour ago, JeffT237 said:

I would love to see a newer ship in Los Angeles full time, as this is our home port. When we first started cruising in the 90s we only sailed from Los Angeles and Long Beach, but after our first Caribbean cruise on a newer ship in the early 2000s we've regularly flown to Galveston or the Florida ports.  We like the newer ships and the Caribbean ports much better than the Pacific side of Mexico.  Growing up in Southern California we have regularly taken trips to many of these areas, Mexico has changed a lot.   But we'd consider returning to sailing from our home port on a newer ship, especially a Quantum class ship since we've yet to sail on one.  There's a reason why we always have the older ships here, I think Carnival had one of their newest ships at the time here several years ago only to have it replaced by an older ship now.  

I think you got the mail in the head. 
The demand just doesn’t exist for a ship that size from Los Angeles/Long Beach. 

I'm also thinking  it will be Anthem. 

But then the question will be, will they keep 2 ships in Los Angeles?

Not sure if the market here could handle it.

Right now the 3 and 4 night cruises are doing very well on Navigator.

The twice weekly tendering would be a PITA for Q class.

Q class can tender and they do at some stops when down under or Hawaii but those aren't twice weekly.  Pretty draining on the deck crew.

I think Navigator in LA is doing better for Royal than it was in the past, but this applies to just about every ship they have right now.  It looks sold out for our cruise next week, and this isn't exactly peak cruising time unless you are going on Icon.  In the past I could count on getting a Royal Up for minimum bid, and this time I put higher than minimum bids on multiple categories and got crickets.  You rarely see it on Going, Going, Gone like some of the comparable ships doing 3 and 4 day itineraries out of Florida with listings for just about every week

If the market is growing, maybe they will give a Quantum class a shot.  I guess we will find out in a few weeks.

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I think you got the mail in the head. 
The demand just doesn’t exist for a ship that size from Los Angeles/Long Beach. 

There are still a lot of people in the LA area as well  as Arizona and Nevada that don't want to fly that would to have a big ship to try close by.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJL53 said:

There are still a lot of people in the LA area as well  as Arizona and Nevada that don't want to fly that would to have a big ship to try close by.

Really looking forward to the week of February 19th to find out the schedule for Los Angeles. 

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

The twice weekly tendering would be a PITA for Q class.

Q class can tender and they do at some stops when down under or Hawaii but those aren't twice weekly.  Pretty draining on the deck crew.

It would only be once a week.  On 3/4 day weeks they hit Ensenada (dock) twice and Catalina (tender) once.  On 7 day weeks they tender in Cabo and Mazatlan and PV are docked.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, mil76 said:

It would only be once a week.  On 3/4 day weeks they hit Ensenada (dock) twice and Catalina (tender) once.  On 7 day weeks they tender in Cabo and Mazatlan and PV are docked.  

Are people actually booking a cruise that only goes to Ensenada?

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

Wow.  Least favorite port of all time.  Makes Nassau look pretty awesome.

Not been to Ensenada but it has to be more popular than Nassau. We are from the UK but our last few cruises that stopped at Nassau virtually no US folk got off the ship.

Edited by Tin can

26 minutes ago, KJL53 said:

We drove a couple times when we were in Tucson.  Now that we've moved it's still the most convenient port for us in Denver if we fly into Long Beach.  We still do Galveston just for the bigger ships, but at this point the ports don't really matter between the two.  Florida is still king for port-of-call variety though.

6 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Not been to Ensenada but it has to be more popular than Nassau. We are from the UK but our last few cruises that stopped at Nassau virtually no US folk got off the ship.

Ensenada is pretty bad.  There are some good places to get Mexican food and that is about it.  Plus Nassau will have warmer weather in the winter so you can still go to the beach.  It checks the box for foreign port to keep the cruise legal and that is about it.

Edited by mil76
  • Like 1

We started sailing from San Pedro with RCI back in the early 1990's. The 7 night Mexican Riviera is one of our favorites and sail as often as we can, usually at least twice a year. We've come a long way from Azure of the Seas, Viking Serenade, Mariner and then Navigator. 

We waited a long time for RCI to bring back a ship to our west coast after the H1N1 flu hit and Mariner left. Getting Navigator was a huge thing for us and we've been so glad to have her. If she continues...great.... if another ship takes her place that's just fine.

Also for those of you that are assuming the Navigator isn't selling well you are completely wrong.

• Like 5