Royal Caribbean Pricing

I was thinking about how pricing is through the roof these days and given the recent earnings announcements, I wondered if a correction may be coming and how far off it may be.

I have no idea, because Royal Caribbean's marketing seems superior to the other cruise lines and demand seems disproportionate to Royal vs other lines. I looked for late May sailings from Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral and Tampa. I compared the May 25 sailing on Icon, Symphony, Wonder and Enchantment for similar category cabins to compare with Carnival Celebration. I realize it's not completely apples to apples, but this was eye opening.

Results (guarantees when the option was available):

• Carnival Celebration -- 7 night sailing on May 26 from Miami -- total cost for two is $2,543.30 -- cost per night $363.32
  • Icon -- 7 night sailing on May 25 from Miami -- total cost for two is $9,767.38 -- cost per night $1,395.34
  • Symphony -- 6 night sailing on May 4 from Port Everglades -- total cost for two is $2,994.48 (the sailings from PE were limited to Symphony 6 night and 3 night -- not a good comparison) -- cost per night $499
  • Wonder -- 7 night sailing on May 26 from Port Canaveral -- total cost for two is $4,707.94 -- cost per night $672.56
  • Enchantment -- 7 night sailing on May 11 from Tampa -- total cost for two is $3,798.76 -- cost per night $542.68 per night --> What??!

I have to conclude that unless there is a correction soon, I may be trying other lines. I just don't see that the value that Royal has been known for exists right now considering a ship like Enchantment gets more for 7 nights than Carnival's second newest ship that has been getting good reviews. I am loyal to Royal, but there is a limit, and sadly, I am close to it. I don't think I will be "Loyal to Royal" much longer. I'm curious to know what others are thinking.

image.thumb.png.340fda7ce152cd28ffc0f81a7e7565eb.png

image.thumb.png.b37c724ec9a5272857012202ae62103d.png

• Like 6

Seems like current demand is through the roof along with revenue.   Seems unlikely that prices will go down until the demand subsides.  Not seeing the demand go down especially for the newer ships any time soon though.

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You're looking at cruises 4 months out. No surprise they're expensive.

True, but its a comparison of cruise prices at the same time from Florida ports in the same month using dummy bookings created on the same day.

Look at Celebration vs Enchantment.

It's not about trying to book a cruise 4 months out. I may do the same thing for two years down the line, but doing dummy bookings with Royal 2-3 years out is shocking as well. I currently have 3 reasonably priced sailings with Royal booked now. I can't get that pricing any longer. Jason Liberty's finance background is starting to show. I predict people may start walking to other lines especially when the Icon honeymoon dies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spiegeje said:

True, but its a comparison of cruise prices at the same time from Florida ports in the same month using dummy bookings created on the same day.

Look at Celebration vs Enchantment.

It's not about trying to book a cruise 4 months out. I may do the same thing for two years down the line, but doing dummy bookings with Royal 2-3 years out is shocking as well. I currently have 3 reasonably priced sailings with Royal booked now. I can't get that pricing any longer. Jason Liberty's finance background is starting to show. I predict people may start walking to other lines especially when the Icon honeymoon dies.

It just shows what cruise line is most popular and in highest demand.

I agree. If I was paying that much for a cruise It would take all the enjoyment from it. I am quite happy to leave the money in the bank and wait until they return to sensible levels.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

Seems like current demand is through the roof along with revenue.   Seems unlikely that prices will go down until the demand subsides.  Not seeing the demand go down especially for the newer ships any time soon though.

I did the comparison because Royal's Enchantment of the Seas (built in 1996) sailing from Tampa in mid-May is priced 50% higher than Carnival Celebration (built in 2022) sailing from Miami in late May. This is not to mention the cost of Icon of the Seas right now. Holy Moly. That's an expensive proposition for dueling pianos and a giant orb with a view of the water.

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It just shows what cruise line is most popular and in highest demand.

I think it is because Royal's marketing is superior to the other lines. That combined with all the recent free publicity...they changed their philosophy from providing a great experience at a great value to getting whatever people will pay. I will walk away from them to another line, personally, and would not be surpised if others do the same...especially now that Carnival is publicizing an answer to Perfect Day with their own Celebration Island. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

• Like 3

Enchantment is a smaller ship with a limited number of balconies. It is supply vs demand.

Balconies on Anthem cost less

• Like 1

Royal has group rates from many TAs that many of us, plus balcony discount plus DP340 for me as a solo. For me often royal comes out less expensive, not  more. I never book at the price on the site. All of mine are refundable group rates. Maybe it depends on your loyalty level but a balcony for me on harmony was $300  less than a inside on jubilee. I know this has been posted over and over again get a TA with geoup rates. 

Carnival gives me  nothing off as a solo. I agree prices are thru the roof but imo so are carnivals prices. I'm booked on adventure, harmony, marine, wonder, utopia and then voyager TA plus a extra leg on voyager for another 10 days. Some of mine are balconys, though boardwalk or park view. Oasis class has more balconys so more reasonably priced. Everyone is different for me as a solo, royal is usually a best fit. 

I just came back from a really nice 14 day journey cruise on carnival so I dont have anything against them but not willing to pay $200 a day when on rcl I get my 5 free drinks and 2 days of wifi. I missed my perks. I only need to book 14 more days of royal to hit pinnacle I kept thinking  as I was doing my carnival cruise.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Enchantment is a smaller ship with a limited number of balconies. It is supply vs demand.

Balconies on Anthem cost less

I understand your point, however, pricing for an OV midship (no balcony) on Enchantment is $368.97 per night for two vs Celebration at $363.32 per night for two for a balcony. I predict that Royal's current high pricing may not last as people choose a much better product for lower cost.

image.thumb.png.386f57d05153628fa78c05fa29f558e5.png

Edited by spiegeje

I’ve got one cruise booked for Sep and am no longer even looking anymore. If I do go on that one, it will probably be my last. 
Cruising is not like it used to be - now just a watered down money grabbing amusement park. That may be fine for others but not me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spiegeje said:

I understand your point, however, pricing for an OV midship (no balcony) on Enchantment is $368.97 per night for two vs Celebration at $363.32 per night for two for a balcony. I predict that Royal's current high pricing may not last as people choose a much better product for lower cost.

Maybe... I personally do not like Carnival (honestly tried 3 times) , so for me it does not matter. Also people have own preferences ... like smaller ships with better itinerary. 

Better product is highly subjective.

We will see.

Edited by Tatka

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Royal has group rates from many TAs that many of us, plus balcony discount plus DP340 for me as a solo. For me often royal comes out less expensive, not  more. I never book at the price on the site. All of mine are refundable group rates. Maybe it depends on your loyalty level but a balcony for me on harmony was $300  less than a inside on jubilee. I know this has been posted over and over again get a TA with geoup rates. 

Carnival gives me  nothing off as a solo. I agree prices are thru the roof but imo so are carnivals prices. I'm booked on adventure, harmony, marine, wonder, utopia and then voyager TA plus a extra leg on voyager for another 10 days. Some of mine are balconys, though boardwalk or park view. Oasis class has more balconys so more reasonably priced. Everyone is different for me as a solo, royal is usually a best fit. 

I just came back from a really nice 14 day journey cruise on carnival so I dont have anything against them but not willing to pay $200 a day when on rcl I get my 5 free drinks and 2 days of wifi. I missed my perks. I only need to book 14 more days of royal to hit pinnacle I kept thinking  as I was doing my carnival cruise.

I am Diamond with Royal and use a TA every time, and have benefited from group rates they have a few times. My diamond discount should apply since I did the dummy bookings while logged in. I think they are milking the Icon pub as much as they can and pricing everything within a year to a point where they may be alienating some of their Loyal to Royal guests.

• Like 1

Just now, Tatka said:

Maybe... I personally do not like Carnival (honestly tried 3 times) , so for me it does not matter. Also people have own preferences ... like smaller ships with better itinerary. 

It's definitely subjective...and I shied away from Carnival because of some of the pics of the interiors of their older ships, however I am intrigued by the Excel Class of the Carnival Corp. Some of the vlogs I've seen have communicated that it isn't like the old cheesy Carnival vibe.

• Like 3

Just now, spiegeje said:

It's definitely subjective...and I shied away from Carnival because of some of the pics of the interiors of their older ships, however I am intrigued by the Excel Class of the Carnival Corp. Some of the vlogs I've seen have communicated that it isn't like the old cheesy Carnival vibe.

I watch YouTube video so I think I have pretty good idea about new ships. It did not make me want to try. By the way I did not sail on real old ships of Carnival. My tries were on 2 months old Liberty, not old Miracle and not old Glory.

I just do not like the vibe. Of course it is just me.

• Like 1

I booked a cruise on Liberty of the Seas last August for this May. Balcony room, $2500 for 2, now over $8000!!! Really? For The Liberty???? So out of control, but people are paying so high prices it is!

Marg

• Like 1

We are still getting good prices by booking early... But the fact that RCI can keep prices up means someone is paying it. If not they will be lowered closer to sailings.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, maggie416 said:

I booked a cruise on Liberty of the Seas last August for this May. Balcony room, $2500 for 2, now over $8000!!! Really? For The Liberty???? So out of control, but people are paying so high prices it is!

Marg

Holy moly...you just hilited what I am seeing....personally, the thing that kept me going back to Royal doesn't seem to be there any more if they are pricing their product that way. I would have expected a higher price with a price check with your timeline, but $5,500 higher??!!! Wow....too bad we can't sell them on the black market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spiegeje said:

Holy moly...you just hilited what I am seeing....personally, the thing that kept me going back to Royal doesn't seem to be there any more if they are pricing their product that way. I would have expected a higher price with a price check with your timeline, but $5,500 higher??!!! Wow....too bad we can't sell them on the black market.

I am just amazed it's up this much, can't make this stuff up! As you said, services have declined, not as it was. I understand an increase , everything has gone crazy, but this is over the top!

• Like 1

I found nothing this last release except the ta to europe that I was willing to lay for, so I maybe not booking more for a while either. Theres no way I'm paying what people are quoting. Nothing I have booked is over $2k. Though getting closer and closer. By the time my 2 legs of my TA are done I figure over 5k by the time I fly home .. and maybe then some  more $$$, depending how long I stay in rome later but I booked nothing else except a oasis group cruise. My TA said oasis was cheaper than adventure out of PC. So I agree. Used to be able to find stuff during hurricane season $100 a day. Not any more. I'm definitely paying more and  more and then more each time I book. 

We have 4 more cruises booked for this year.

Vision - 12 days in March

Symphony - 7 days in May

Liberty - end of August to Canada - 9 days

Odyssey for Thanksgiving - 7 days

2 booked for next year

Odyssey in Jan - 11 days to Southern Caribneans

Vision in March 12 days.

All prices are sane.

Great job with the comparison. I was finally tempted and went on Carnival Mardi Gras. If you look at my review it is clear that I enjoyed myself thoroughly and will be continuing with that line until (unless) Royal addresses this discrepancy. Mind you, with that said we have a royal coming up in June on Allure as the shorter duration worked for many we are traveling with. I would love to try ICON but right now pricing is crazzzy for me.

• Like 5

I looked as far out as Royal's site allowed...April 2026 and there's a sailing on Independence out of Miami. A standard balcony is $3,277 for seven nights or $468 a night. This same sailing a year or two ago would have been $2,100. It goes to Coca Cay, Charlotte Amalie and San Juan. It's simply not worth it. I have found great bargains in the month of April in the past, but not now. The first screenshot is icognito mode and not logged in. The second is logged in with the same category cabin with the C&A discount. I think the book it early strategy is out the window right now while they ride this Icon publicity. It will have to go back to what competing lines are doing for me to continue with them.

image.thumb.png.e23f3016d84a2319fdcc23ff98b742b6.png

image.png.2b3dc752a158fd46255de7ac9ace117a.png

• Like 1