Thoughts CocoCay and weather

Am on cruise with a stop in Cococay and purchased Beach Club passes as I like their Beach Club. Weather is not looking good, possible rain, but windy and 70 for temps. Bummer as it is one of the places I look forward to getting off at. I don’t get off at the other ports, though will try Labadee this cruise. 

I still have time to cancel for refund. would you cancel and just pay the onboard price if the weather magically changes from the forecast, or keep and potentially pay for something unpleasant and unusable. I paid $247.98 for 2 people, which isn’t a fantastic price. 

Appreciate the thoughts of more experienced cruisers here. Thanks 🙏😀

26 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Weather at CocoCay is so changeable.  It rains, then it’s sunny, then it is raining again.  I, personally, would cancel and wait.  

That’s what I am thinking. It’s not that much more to buy on the ship. 

• Like 1

Just after Christmas it was so cold we didn't go in the water, including the pool.  Since you can only cancel up to about 48 hours before arriving you need to plan ahead what you are going to do.  If weather is bad they may cancel boat snorkeling, scuba or watercraft or the ship can't dock but you are on the hook if it is just cold or rainy.  

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

Just after Christmas it was so cold we didn't go in the water, including the pool.  Since you can only cancel up to about 48 hours before arriving you need to plan ahead what you are going to do.  If weather is bad they may cancel boat snorkeling, scuba or watercraft or the ship can't dock but you are on the hook if it is just cold or rainy.  

I am cancelling and will rebook at ship price. Would rather save the money or spend more if weather improves. I don’t want to hope they don’t dock if cold. 😅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bombedpop said:

I am cancelling and will rebook at ship price. Would rather save the money or spend more if weather improves. I don’t want to hope they don’t dock if cold. 😅

That was a good idea.  We were there yesterday and it was in the low 70’s with lots of wind.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bombedpop said:

Am on cruise with a stop in Cococay and purchased Beach Club passes as I like their Beach Club. Weather is not looking good, possible rain, but windy and 70 for temps. Bummer as it is one of the places I look forward to getting off at. I don’t get off at the other ports, though will try Labadee this cruise. 

I still have time to cancel for refund. would you cancel and just pay the onboard price if the weather magically changes from the forecast, or keep and potentially pay for something unpleasant and unusable. I paid $247.98 for 2 people, which isn’t a fantastic price. 

Appreciate the thoughts of more experienced cruisers here. Thanks 🙏😀

I would cancel.  Use the money for a specialty dinner which would be cheaper (and better) and sit at south beach. 

• Thanks 1

I would cancel also. Are you on Liberty getting there Sunday? I'll be on Odyssey and at Coco Cay Sunday. I've been watching the weather for a few days. I figure with a travel umbrella, bathing suit, and water shoes I'll walk around and explore the island rain or not.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would cancel also. Are you on Liberty getting there Sunday? I'll be on Odyssey and at Coco Cay Sunday. I've been watching the weather for a few days. I figure with a travel umbrella, bathing suit, and water shoes I'll walk around and explore the island rain or not.

I’m on Oasis for Tuesday arrival. I was on Liberty last year 😀. It’s worth the walk around even if raining. 

Edited by Bombedpop
  • Like 1

So I called last night to cancel because app would not load anything for me. Was after hours. Called today and they could not can el claiming to be past the 48hour window. It was not 48 hours to sailing or to the excursion. Was told I had to go to guest relations when I board Sunday and maybe they would assist 🤷‍♀️

all the cococay excursions are ship priced less than the pre-sale excursions. I noticed the massage services are cheaper now to also buy on board. Going to reconsider advance purchases in the future if the price is cheaper in the ship. 

TBH, I’m a bit bummed that I paid more for items sold as a pre-sail savings discount. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

How are you looking up the weather and on what? I can't find Coco Cay on Accuweather or Weather.com - Nassau is the closest I can find.

Using Nassau. They are not far apart.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 4:24 PM, Bombedpop said:

So I called last night to cancel because app would not load anything for me. Was after hours. Called today and they could not can el claiming to be past the 48hour window. It was not 48 hours to sailing or to the excursion. Was told I had to go to guest relations when I board Sunday and maybe they would assist 🤷‍♀️

all the cococay excursions are ship priced less than the pre-sale excursions. I noticed the massage services are cheaper now to also buy on board. Going to reconsider advance purchases in the future if the price is cheaper in the ship. 

TBH, I’m a bit bummed that I paid more for items sold as a pre-sail savings discount. 

Did you try to cancel on a desktop/laptop computer?    I have had better luck than using the app for cancelling pre cruise items.    

On 2/2/2024 at 4:24 PM, Bombedpop said:

• Based on current forecast Tuesday does not look favorable.   But weather in the islands is constantly changing.    

We have been on coco Cay when there were passing showers. It was fine. When there was lightning, the lifeguards had everyone get out of the water. When there was a heavy shower passing, the lifeguard warned us and we moved from our umbrella to the restaurant. The ship was using their weather radar to advise people on the island. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

How are you looking up the weather and on what? I can't find Coco Cay on Accuweather or Weather.com - Nassau is the closest I can find.

Timeanddate.com gives the coco  cay forecast

Edited by Bombedpop
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 5:55 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Looks like Sunday should be decent until mid/late afternoon based on the forecast on the link above from google

It was good until around 3 PM then rained for about 1.5 hours. I was already back on the ship. The day turned out to be just fine!

• Like 1

Currently on the ship. Tried to chance it and they closed up the island and leaving port. It’s rough out there today and the boat is a rockin’. Nearly fell off the karaoke stage when the boat lurched!

RCCL refunded the club. Was hoping if bad weather, it would be something that cancelled the port. 😅  bright side of being fairly 🤢 ATM. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bombedpop said:

Currently on the ship. Tried to chance it and they closed up the island and leaving port. It’s rough out there today and the boat is a rockin’. Nearly fell off the karaoke stage when the boat lurched!

RCCL refunded the club. Was hoping if bad weather, it would be something that cancelled the port. 😅  bright side of being fairly 🤢 ATM. 

Sorry it didn't work out for you. The pier had no protection from wind and seas. For that matter neither does the island. It is very flat. Seems to me that one major hurricane will destroy the infrastructure but what do I know.