The new lunch menu

11 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

So you are aware of how it used to be. Some people prefer that. I have not cruised with the new menu yet, but I will soon. 

Having seen the new lunch menu for lunch for 11 sea days on our last cruise. Basically the same menu each day with 3 changes per day. Much preferred the old menus but it is still better than the buffet   Was glad to see the pub lunch in the MDR twice in 2 weeks

• Like 4

I love the new lunch menu and usually order the same things, chicken tacos and roasted cauliflower!  I’m craving them just thinking about it!  
The pub lunch day will have a different menu, if they have one.  I didn’t see it at all on our last two cruises but, there weren’t many sea days on those cruises.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I love the new lunch menu and usually order the same things, chicken tacos and roasted cauliflower!  I’m craving them just thinking about it!  
The pub lunch day will have a different menu, if they have one.  I didn’t see it at all on our last two cruises but, there weren’t many sea days on those cruises.  

I hope the tacos and the roasted cauliflower are dairy free because that sounds really good!  Am I correct in remembering that the MDR is not open on port days? 

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

Having seen the new lunch menu for lunch for 11 sea days on our last cruise. Basically the same menu each day with 3 changes per day. Much preferred the old menus but it is still better than the buffet   Was glad to see the pub lunch in the MDR twice in 2 weeks

I really like the mushy peas. 🙂

8 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I hope the tacos and the roasted cauliflower are dairy free because that sounds really good!  Am I correct in remembering that the MDR is not open on port days? 

That’s correct .. open only on sea days.  
The roasted cauliflower has a wonderful flavored olive oil based drizzle on the plate and I can’t remember if the chicken tacos have cheese or not (I don’t think they do) but you could always order them without.  They serve it with a mango salsa that is really good but I always ask for some jalapeños, as I love spicy food.  
We have also split an order of the calamari and it is also really good.  I believe one of the sauces that comes with this is like a cocktail sauce .. so, you may want to skip the other two as they possible have dairy.  
These are all on small plates .. on the right side of the menu, they have other options available.  The pasta olio (someone at our tables ordered it with shrimp) is really good as well.  
While we never really go to the MDR for breakfast or dinner, lunch on sea days is when I always have to go for my fix!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, homedepot124 said:

I have 444 days on Princess on a total of 54 cruises. 

Wow!  Impressive.  So, you average the shorter cruises, or a combo?

We do the longer cruises, now that we’re retired.  It does get a little boring with meal repeats every 7-10 days.  So we mix it up with CD, SD, IC, Buffet etc.  Ours are usually over 30-50 days. 

But, at least we don’t have to cook or clean!  🤣

• Like 2

The roasted cauliflower has a wonderful flavored olive oil based drizzle on the plate and I can’t remember if the chicken tacos have cheese or not (I don’t think they do) but you could always order them without.  They serve it with a mango salsa that is really good but I always ask for some jalapeños, as I love spicy food.  
We have also split an order of the calamari and it is also really good.  I believe one of the sauces that comes with this is like a cocktail sauce .. so, you may want to skip the other two as they possible have dairy.  
These are all on small plates .. on the right side of the menu, they have other options available.  The pasta olio (someone at our tables ordered it with shrimp) is really good as well.  
While we never really go to the MDR for breakfast or dinner, lunch on sea days is when I always have to go for my fix!  

Thank you so much for the tips. That sounds wonderful.

Roasted vegetables are my favorites. I don't always have fresh veggies on hand so I have been cooking frozen green beans with olive oil in my air fryer and it’s pretty good.

Small plates are the best!

I am excited for my cruise, and I am especially excited to not have to cook for 17 days. I always eat healthier on a cruise. Roasted cauliflower, for the win! 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Yes no MDR lunch on port days

• Thanks 1

Just now, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you so much for the tips. That sounds wonderful.

Roasted vegetables are my favorites. I don't always have fresh veggies on hand so I have been cooking frozen green beans with olive oil in my air fryer and it’s pretty good.

Small plates are the best!

I am excited for my cruise, and I am especially excited to not have to cook for 17 days. I always eat healthier on a cruise. Roasted cauliflower, for the win! 

Oh and they seem to have multi colored cauliflower in addition to the white stuff.  
it’s so very good!  I oftentimes eat healthy on a cruise, too as there are so many wonderful options.  Do NOT try their new French fries, though.  They are killer good!  I keep asking if there is a way to order a meal on the app without all that temptation on my plate.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Oh and they seem to have multi colored cauliflower in addition to the white stuff.  
it’s so very good!  I oftentimes eat healthy on a cruise, too as there are so many wonderful options.  Do NOT try their new French fries, though.  They are killer good!  I keep asking if there is a way to order a meal on the app without all that temptation on my plate.  

Oh, no… I love French Fries… I’m a goner.  May I please have a large order of fries with a side of cauliflower? 😂

It would be awesome if we could order roasted vegetables on the app.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

17 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Oh, no… I love French Fries… I’m a goner.  May I please have a large order of fries with a side of cauliflower? 😂

It would be awesome if we could order roasted vegetables on the app.

Don’t even try them!  I swear .. I can be so good about resisting them if they never hit my plate.  But if I order them .. I’m a goner!  They are battered and crispy on the outside, just the right amount of salt and so tender on the inside.  They are like the best fries ever and they’ve been served like that on two different ships .. so, I think it might be a fleetwide thing.  
I have been surprised at how good the stir fried veggies have been in the buffet lately.  Seasoned to perfection and never overcooked.  Wow!  So good.  And I agree, I would love that to be a choice on the app.  I’m always getting their chicken noodle soup or a salad, just to avoid those delicious fries.  

Oh .. and for a good laugh, the cheese quesadilla comes with catchup instead of salsa.  OMG .. so funny!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t even try them!  I swear .. I can be so good about resisting them if they never hit my plate.  But if I order them .. I’m a goner!  They are battered and crispy on the outside, just the right amount of salt and so tender on the inside.  They are like the best fries ever and they’ve been served like that on two different ships .. so, I think it might be a fleetwide thing.  
I have been surprised at how good the stir fried veggies have been in the buffet lately.  Seasoned to perfection and never overcooked.  Wow!  So good.  And I agree, I would love that to be a choice on the app.  I’m always getting their chicken noodle soup or a salad, just to avoid those delicious fries.  

Oh .. and for a good laugh, the cheese quesadilla comes with catchup instead of salsa.  OMG .. so funny!  

That made me laugh 😂. Maybe they  gave you ketchup so you wouldn’t feel so bad for missing your fries. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Our cheese quesadillas always came with salsa - never ketchup.

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

If you have any dietary restrictions, you can order from the head waiter (aka dining room manager) a day in advance. He will know what is dairy free - the waiter may not know. He will be able to have sauces removed or modified to be dairy free even if they normally contain dairy.

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

Our cheese quesadillas always came with salsa - never ketchup.

I think that is why it was so funny .. and it came that way, not once, not twice, but three times.  
not sure if it was a communication thing or if they just ran out of salsa.  They were good, nevertheless.   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think that is why it was so funny .. and it came that way, not once, not twice, but three times.  
not sure if it was a communication thing or if they just ran out of salsa.  They were good, nevertheless.   

The IC also never seems to have salsa to go with their breakfast burritos 

5 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

If you have any dietary restrictions, you can order from the head waiter (aka dining room manager) a day in advance. He will know what is dairy free - the waiter may not know. He will be able to have sauces removed or modified to be dairy free even if they normally contain dairy.

@NavyVeteran Thank you so much. That was very kind of you.

I always send an email to the dietary department right when I book, I list my allergy in the app, and I talk to the restaurant manager in the MDR when I arrive.

I also have the chef walk the line with me in the buffet every time I go there.

I also call in my Room Service order and talk to the person in charge because even after all of the precautions that I take Room Service has still sent orders with my allergens in it. I have been told by Princess that I now will be charged if I do not have a package and I call Room Service (they actually called me and told me that after I inquired). I warned what would happen if I ate something with my allergen in it but it seems at this time all they care about is the money. 

15 hours ago, memoak said:

The IC also never seems to have salsa to go with their breakfast burritos 

Just of note and slightly off the subject but I only eat fish/seafood and poultry.  I’ve been asking for years on the post cruise survey to have more dishes that don’t include and beef or pork and never quite came to fruition until this year.  I actually saw turkey meatballs in red sauce in the buffet and wow, they are so good!  I grab some at night so I have them for breakfast the next morning.  BTW, I really don’t mind cold leftovers.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just of note and slightly off the subject but I only eat fish/seafood and poultry.  I’ve been asking for years on the post cruise survey to have more dishes that don’t include and beef or pork and never quite came to fruition until this year.  I actually saw turkey meatballs in red sauce in the buffet and wow, they are so good!  I grab some at night so I have them for breakfast the next morning.  BTW, I really don’t mind cold leftovers.  

The meatballs sound yummy! 

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The meatballs sound yummy! 

I read and hear so many complaints about how everything has gone downhill ..

this is me 😊 😊 😊 

I couldn’t be any happier!  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I read and hear so many complaints about how everything has gone downhill ..

this is me 😊 😊 😊 

I couldn’t be any happier!  

I’m actually looking forward to trying the new lunch menu and having cauliflower and french fries on nine sea days. Can I ask for just 3 fries? 😂 

And I want Chicken tacos too!!! 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Can I ask for just 3 fries? 😂 

Good luck with that!  😂  For breakfast I always ask for 2 strips of crispy bacon, one fried egg over medium and one soft roll.  Have yet to receive that.  It's always at least five strips of bacon so, of course, I need to order ANOTHER soft roll because....who can leave bacon on the plate to get thrown out!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3