Why is this ship so LOUD?!!

Cruzinforpeace***

Currently on the Meraviglia and having a blast HOWEVER why is everything on this ship

sooooooo loud?  I mean this is NOT normal.  If someone from MSC is reading this PLEASE turn down the volume.  I’m literally wearing earplugs now in all the public spaces. It’s a shame because this is an awesome, beautiful ship with a great crew and very talented performers.  You do not need the extra volume to prove yourselves.  Am I the only who thinks this is crazy?

IMG_3142.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Italian company...what did you expect?!? 😜

I worked on Costa Cruises, an Italian company.  It was never this loud!  I’m sure their entertainment staff and performers must have permanent hearing loss from the repeated loud noise exposure.  It’s a shame.

I have sailed the Meraviglia four times and I could not agree more! It really makes enjoying the musical acts a challenge. If you sit in the Meraviglia Lounge or the Infinity Lounge when there is a musical act playing, it is WAY too loud to tolerate and I find myself moving somewhere further away where I can hear the music, but unfortunately no longer see the performers (like up to the Edge or Champaign Bars for Infinity acts and over to the chocolate store or up to the seats outside of Brass Anchor for Meraviglia Lounge acts). And don't even get me started on the musing INSIDE the Brass Anchor. They keep the doors to that venue closed, so there is no outside noise to compete with, but for some reason they always have the volume on their amps up to 11 whenever they have music in there.

The only music of a reasonable volume to both listen to and visually observe is in the Sky Lounge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I have sailed the Meraviglia four times and I could not agree more! It really makes enjoying the musical acts a challenge. If you sit in the Meraviglia Lounge or the Infinity Lounge when there is a musical act playing, it is WAY too loud to tolerate and I find myself moving somewhere further away where I can hear the music, but unfortunately no longer see the performers (like up to the Edge or Champaign Bars for Infinity acts and over to the chocolate store or up to the seats outside of Brass Anchor for Meraviglia Lounge acts). And don't even get me started on the musing INSIDE the Brass Anchor. They keep the doors to that venue closed, so there is no outside noise to compete with, but for some reason they always have the volume on their amps up to 11 whenever they have music in there.

The only music of a reasonable volume to both listen to and visually observe is in the Sky Lounge.

And that’s why your screen name includes the word “logical”!  I concur again and we ended up the Sky Lounge eventually.  It was like a big “sigh” of relief.  It also seems like either people are talking too loud or there are bad acoustics in the complimentary food spaces.  The buffet and the main restaurant is also very loud but with loud talking. It’s all very puzzling why the volume seems over the top on this ship. I have never seen anything like this in all my years of cruising.  I told guest services but they didn’t seem to care.  I told them I’m wearing ear plugs around the ship and they said “sorry madam we don’t have earplugs”. lol.

41 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Now that you mention it, it was over the top for a lot of the entertainment on the ship during my cruise. Some of the pool events had me running out of the general area ASAP.

I mean it’s a shame because they truly have a great and competitive product.  Maybe they have a psychological reason we don’t know about.  Does it increase adrenaline and spending $ perhaps?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

The only quiet place on the newer ships is the Yacht Club. On the older ships, it really isn't a problem.

Yes, we thought about booking YC right out of the gate but really wanted the “full” regular MSC experience first to be able to

compare it with other cruise lines.  We’ve sailed most cruise lines from inside cabin all the way up to penthouse suite.  I see the value in all levels.  Next time I may book YC just to get more peace and quiet.  This is our first MSC cruise.

@Cruzinforpeace***Enjoy your cruise.  I enjoy reading your posts from sailing on Celebrity ships.  Quick question:  What times are the evening shows in the Broadway Theater?  Thank you.  (And, yes, I agree MSC Meraviglia is a very "loud and busy" ship).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

@Cruzinforpeace***Enjoy your cruise.  I enjoy reading your posts from sailing on Celebrity ships.  Quick question:  What times are the evening shows in the Broadway Theater?  Thank you.  (And, yes, I agree MSC Meraviglia is a very "loud and busy" ship).

They usually run three 45-min shows a night.  Seating times are 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30PM...

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The only quiet place on the newer ships is the Yacht Club. On the older ships, it really isn't a problem.

There are quiet spaces on the Meraviglia, just not a lot of places where you can peacefully enjoy the musical acts. Like I said, you can always go up a level or two from the Infinity Bar or away from the Meraviglia Lounge a bit to enjoy the music at a more reasonable volume. And the Sky Lounge is always more subdued. You don't have to be in the YC to get away from the noisier spaces....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

Thank you!  I’m planning on doing a “post mortem” for this cruise just for kicks. 

The free shows are 7:30pm and 9:30pm

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

There are quiet spaces on the Meraviglia, just not a lot of places where you can peacefully enjoy the musical acts. Like I said, you can always go up a level or two from the Infinity Bar or away from the Meraviglia Lounge a bit to enjoy the music at a more reasonable volume. And the Sky Lounge is always more subdued. You don't have to be in the YC to get away from the noisier spaces....

Just came from the buffet and at 2:30pm can’t even hear yourself think.  I think it’s a combination of poor acoustical planning (no carpets and lots of metal) and a lot of European and Asian visitors who tend to sound like they’re yelling when they speak.  I’m Greek so I know from experience.  My son has a shirt that says “I’m not yelling at you, I’m just Greek!”  I don’t think this buffet is any more chaotic than other ships.  It’s the volume of noise that makes it seem chaotic.  We always get a seat and haven’t had any long waits in the lines.  The buffet food so far this cruise is excellent, better than Celebrity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Just came from the buffet and at 2:30pm can’t even hear yourself think.  I think it’s a combination of poor acoustical planning (no carpets and lots of metal) and a lot of European and Asian visitors who tend to sound like they’re yelling when they speak.  I’m Greek so I know from experience.  My son has a shirt that says “I’m not yelling at you, I’m just Greek!”  I don’t think this buffet is any more chaotic than other ships.  It’s the volume of noise that makes it seem chaotic.  We always get a seat and haven’t had any long waits in the lines.  The buffet food so far this cruise is excellent, better than Celebrity.

I think you may be on to something with acoustics. I just got off this ship. Buffet sounded like a high school cafeteria, dining rooms not much better. I had some guy behind our table with a laugh that overcame everything. He was the only one I could hear, I guess he was trying to compete with the noise. I couldn't hear my table mate. She couldn't hear me. Our cruise was only 2300 from what others were saying compared to the week before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sammee said:

I think you may be on to something with acoustics. I just got off this ship. Buffet sounded like a high school cafeteria, dining rooms not much better. I had some guy behind our table with a laugh that overcame everything. He was the only one I could hear, I guess he was trying to compete with the noise. I couldn't hear my table mate. She couldn't hear me. Our cruise was only 2300 from what others were saying compared to the week before.

Exactly!  Perfect analogy with the HS Cafeteria.

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I cannot agree, there are quiet area like lounges with no activity. I have sailed on this ship. 

• Like 1