Norovirus on QM2?

maggielou362

There is a current passenger on QM2 who documenting his voyage via Youtube. He reports that there is an outbreak of norovirus since departing Durban. Not wanting to substantiate or speculate, just sharing what this gentleman is saying on his Youtube video. He says the crew are doing an exemplary job of minimising the spread. Host Hattie, not sure if I should have started a new topic for this, please merge with the Queen Vic gastro thread as appropriate. Sorry to bear these negative tidings. SOAP AND WATER, everyone.

Edited by maggielou362

And it's certainly not confined to ships! Anywhere where people congregate and touch provides the ideal environment for it to rear its head. Didn't mean to sound panicky, just a little wary since I have been eagerly waiting for two years to board the beautiful ocean liner. Heading to Fremantle in a few days and feeling a little dampened by the news. Oh well, lots of proper handwashing, nothing else for it. (and the hand cream afterwards)

• Like 1

I’m on QM2 at the moment and yes indeed there has been increasing Norovirus precautions being taken the past 2/3 days.

Tables being wiped down with a sign not to sit there until sign taken away, constant reminders to wash hands as often as possible, no self service drinks in the Royal Court, spraying of soft furnishings and regular wiping of handrails etc. The drinks menus have been removed today. When we boarded last Thursday in Cape Town they were already serving you food in Kings Court, I don’t know if this is norm now or if early precautions were already being taken.

I just left the cabin and it must be the cleaning / servicing of the ‘infected’ cabin occupants time, full protective clothing and masks, large wheely bins to put serviced materials into etc. lt looks like more appropriate for Covid but may be they go to those lengths for noro.

Anyway day at sea tomorrow before day in Reunion followed by day in Mauritius. Having a great time despite the current restrictions, QM2 really is a special ship.

• Like 4

The YouTuber referenced loves to over dramatise most things he vlogs about. That seems to be his chosen presentational style. He was actually slightly more subdued than usual on the topic of Noro.

It's not my preferred type of vlog, I go looking for footage of the venues, food and people dressing up and dancing.

I can understand the PPE in certain circumstances. I wouldn't want to be too graphic, but I always tell anyone that has the slightest tummy upset to make sure that if they feel sick; sit on the loo and be sick in the bowl I have provided for that purpose. It's just physics.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

full protective clothing and masks, large wheely bins to put serviced materials into etc. lt looks like more appropriate for Covid but may be they go to those lengths for noro.

Unless, of course, that there is Covid also

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

Unless, of course, that there is Covid also

Yes you may be right, I was thinking it was a bit OTT for the relatively minor (but not pleasant) noro, I could have asked but didn’t like to😇. I’ve never had it so I don’t know how they service people in their cabins and with what precautions.

13 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yes you may be right, I was thinking it was a bit OTT for the relatively minor (but not pleasant) noro, I could have asked but didn’t like to😇. I’ve never had it so I don’t know how they service people in their cabins and with what precautions.

Norovirus is nasty and in an enclosed environment such as a ship I suspect they may even have legal requirements to handle the situation as carefully as you have described.

18 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Anyway day at sea tomorrow before day in Reunion followed by day in Mauritius

Will the ship be allowed to dock in these places with the noro outbreak.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:12 AM, ace2542 said:

Will the ship be allowed to dock in these places with the noro outbreak.

Yes we were allowed to dock.

There is still the same if not  a higher level of noro precautions here. Launderettes are shut so on a long length cruise is causing some clothes cleaning issues, of course you can pay for the laundry at a cost. We always bring clothes hand wash liquid so can keep on top of things washing in the cabin and balcony drying for undies, socks etc👍

• 2 weeks later...

Long before Covid I was on a Celebrity ship with a norovirus outbreak snd it seems the precautions were exactly the same. Luckily we didn’t come down with it but the poor crew who have to do so much extra work cleaning everything so much more than they usually do. 

Just disembarked in Sydney this morning 😢 

On embarking in Perth crew were still taking extra precautions, but they had relaxed somewhat by the end of our journey. Crew are very meticulous with cleaning, but I did notice that many passengers were still sneezing into their hands, and others were very quick to grab at and point ( i.e. TOUCH!) food/tongs, cutlery etc even though staff will get it for you. Use the dining rooms, avoid the buffet. I think it's other passengers you need to be mindful of. Just be very careful and diligent with handwashing, cough/sneezing etiquette, and use the offered hand sanitiser at every opportunity and you will be fine. It's a beautiful ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dbjhughes said:

Could anyone please report if norovirus on QM2 is ongoing or whether it is resolved?

The severity of the norovirus precautions has reduced the last few days but gastro issues were still onboard when we disembarked this morning. I prefer to call it gastro illness as it was suspected that it isn’t just norovirus onboard.

We met several seasoned cruisers who had not ever had problems before but succumbed to issues this time, I think it must be a particularly virulent strain.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace

13 hours ago, dbjhughes said:

Could anyone please report if norovirus on QM2 is ongoing or whether it is resolved?

The protocols have been very much relaxed in the last few days compared to a week ago which I can only take to mean that there's not many sick people left and 1600 of us disembarked in Sydney today so that leaves a pretty fresh ship.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I prefer to call it gastro illness as it was suspected that it isn’t just norovirus onboard.

Gastroenteritis is the inflammation of the stomach, intestines and related parts of the body. Bacteria and viruses can cause it,  as well as other causes (e.g. poisons). Virus number one here is Norovirus. Bacteria - well that can be E. Coli, Salmonella and a long list of other pathogens.  They all spread in slightly different ways, but Noro and Salmonella are quite similar in transmission (and effects if you catch it). 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Gastroenteritis is the inflammation of the stomach, intestines and related parts of the body. Bacteria and viruses can cause it,  as well as other causes (e.g. poisons). Virus number one here is Norovirus. Bacteria - well that can be E. Coli, Salmonella and a long list of other pathogens.  They all spread in slightly different ways, but Noro and Salmonella are quite similar in transmission (and effects if you catch it). 

And presumably food that has not been properly treated and handled is quite likely to harbour more than one sort of pathogen. Always a cheering thought.

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And presumably food that has not been properly treated and handled is quite likely to harbour more than one sort of pathogen. Always a cheering thought.

My observation/opinion is that Cunard crew serve food impeccably. It's the passengers who mishandle and contaminate the food. We had no issues at all with any gastrointestinal upsets. Like @Jim_P and @Splice the mainbrace we were two of the 1600 to leave the ship in Sydney. Not that you were implying poor food handling by Cunard, exlondoner!

Edited by maggielou362
correct spelling
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

My observation/opinion is that Cunard crew serve food impeccably. It's the passengers who mishandle and contaminate the food. We had no issues at all with any gastrointestinal upsets. Like @Jim_P and @Splice the mainbrace we were two of the 1600 to leave the ship in Sydney. Not that you were implying poor food handling by Cunard, exlondoner!

No, I certainly wasn’t. 😀But, as you say, the passengers may be another matter.

Years ago, we took an amazing tour of the main galley on QM2 and everything was beyond clean. I don’t think that state of cleanliness was for show either. 
I too believe problems stem from common handling of buffet utensils from pax not being hygienic. Licking one’s fingers then going back for seconds at the buffet without washing hands really is gross. Gross buffet behavior is not isolated to cruise ships, btw…

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

Years ago, we took an amazing tour of the main galley on QM2 and everything was beyond clean. I don’t think that state of cleanliness was for show either. 
I too believe problems stem from common handling of buffet utensils from pax not being hygienic. Licking one’s fingers then going back for seconds at the buffet without washing hands really is gross. Gross buffet behavior is not isolated to cruise ships, btw…

That’s not actually the reason I never eat in the buffet, but avoiding such behaviour is certainly a collateral benefit.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NE John said:

Which is why I never use provided utensils and use the cutlery pre wrapped in napkins. I have seen less than hygienic passenger practices but no way am I giving up on my occasional Lido lunch treats.

I usually go for the food 'at the back' too making sure my sleeves do NOT trail in the food on display.

Lido buffet? Yum yum. Pick'n mix on a plate. 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

Men!!

Mind you, having washed their hands pretty meticulously, women then faff with their hair, and perhaps reapply makeup, without necessarily washing their hands again afterwards. This may not be best hygienic practice.