First World "problem" (beverage package avoiding)

We're scheduled for a b2b in June on Liberty.   We usually buy the refreshment package but because LOS doesn't have the machines (why can't I think of the name ??) I hesitate to buy them. Most of what I drink is water or non carbonated, and caffeine free, but without the machines I'm certain the options will be limited.  

So I bought the coffee card (caffeine in the moring!) and now am figuring the rest.  

I tried Cirkul but the flavors dont last long enough for me.   I do have maybe 5 I'll bring so i have it...but how many bottles of water can dh and i bring and how can you bring water onboard for both cruises of a b2b ?

I also figure ill have a water "bottle" so I can bring flavoring and use cups of water to refill. I know they don't want you using a machine (like juice machine) to refill bottles.

Any other creative ways to stay hydrated without breaking the bank (or rules)?

3 hours ago, sadiwest said:

but how many bottles of water can dh and i bring and how can you bring water onboard for both cruises of a b2b ?

12 up to 17 oz. You should be able to bring twice that for a B2B. The problem would be carrying all that.

4 hours ago, sadiwest said:

We're scheduled for a b2b in June on Liberty.   We usually buy the refreshment package but because LOS doesn't have the machines (why can't I think of the name ??)

Freestyle Coke machines?  Is that what you mean?  I can't believe Liberty doesn't have them ... they even had them on Grandeur.  Are you sure this is a fact?  

4 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Any other creative ways to stay hydrated without breaking the bank (or rules)?

- You're allowed to carry on twelve sodas (or other non-alcoholic beverages).  You're also allowed to carry on a standard-sized bottle of wine. 

- For a B2B, you can bring double this amount.  If this sounds difficult, consider some type of rolling carry-on.  

- I like to bring those little tear-open packets of powder that make into lemonade or other flavors.  Unlike bottles of liquid, they're not a leak-hazard.  They weigh nothing /take up no space.  I bring them because I'm low-carb and don't like to "drink my calories", and with those I know what I'm getting.  

- The water onboard is perfectly safe, and you can get a cup in multiple places any time of day.  

- You might want to bring your water bottle to keep some water in your room.  

- If you're a milk drinker, cartons are available at breakfast.  You can bring 1-2 back to your room. 

- If you're a juice drinker, it's available at breakfast but not always lunch and dinner ... so consider bringing a water bottle to fill with juice for later in the day.  

- When you stop at the islands, no one's going to fuss at you for returning with 2-3 sodas (or other non-alcoholic beverages).  

And if you do NONE of these, you'll still have all the water, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, sometimes fruit punch, and plain coffee you want.  If you don't spend a single penny, you won't dehydrate.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@sadiwest If you do not want to carry bottles of water, check out the prices, sizes and # available in the cruise planner and if acceptable to you, order it.  I will be waiting in your room.  Watch prices as they can fluctuate.

Edited by Cherful59
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t cruised RCI yet but the tap water on other cruise lines is fine to me. Yes there is a little chlorine in it but it’s better than most tap water on land and better than a lot of bottled water you find in the store.

is RCI different in some way that makes the water unsafe?

Easy trick for those who are bothered by chlorinated water. Fill a glass and leave it out for several hours, the chlorine taste and smell pretty much goes away.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 1:52 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Freestyle Coke machines?  Is that what you mean?  I can't believe Liberty doesn't have them ... they even had them on Grandeur.  Are you sure this is a fact?  

- You're allowed to carry on twelve sodas (or other non-alcoholic beverages).  You're also allowed to carry on a standard-sized bottle of wine. 

- For a B2B, you can bring double this amount.  If this sounds difficult, consider some type of rolling carry-on.  

- I like to bring those little tear-open packets of powder that make into lemonade or other flavors.  Unlike bottles of liquid, they're not a leak-hazard.  They weigh nothing /take up no space.  I bring them because I'm low-carb and don't like to "drink my calories", and with those I know what I'm getting.  

- The water onboard is perfectly safe, and you can get a cup in multiple places any time of day.  

- You might want to bring your water bottle to keep some water in your room.  

- If you're a milk drinker, cartons are available at breakfast.  You can bring 1-2 back to your room. 

- If you're a juice drinker, it's available at breakfast but not always lunch and dinner ... so consider bringing a water bottle to fill with juice for later in the day.  

- When you stop at the islands, no one's going to fuss at you for returning with 2-3 sodas (or other non-alcoholic beverages).  

And if you do NONE of these, you'll still have all the water, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, sometimes fruit punch, and plain coffee you want.  If you don't spend a single penny, you won't dehydrate.  

Thank you. I've not been on Liberty, but I asked via a post here and multiple people said there is no Freestyle on Liberty.  Yes that's the name I couldn't remember.  I'm getting old. Lol

I  don't drink or eat refined sugar (fruit juice is ok...) so we typically use the drink mixes at home.  I've often brought the stick packs, so most likely what we'll do here...and bring as much bottled water as they'll allow. 

On 2/8/2024 at 12:10 PM, Biker19 said:

12 up to 17 oz. You should be able to bring twice that for a B2B. The problem would be carrying all that.

Sorry...12 each of us or combined?

2 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Thank you. I've not been on Liberty, but I asked via a post here and multiple people said there is no Freestyle on Liberty.  Yes that's the name I couldn't remember.  I'm getting old. Lol

I'm just surprised.  I mean, if you said one of the older, smaller ships didn't have Freestyle machines, I wouldn't think twice -- but Liberty is a mid-sized ship. 

Maybe I don't understand what's involved, but it seems to me that a Freestyle machine could be brought in on a dolly and set up in a couple hours -- I mean, around here most fast food joints have them.  In my imagination, it'd require 2-3 men and 2-3 hours of work -- they could install it while passengers are being loaded onto the ship.  But what does a high school teacher know about these things?  My imagination could be solidly wrong.  

and bring as much bottled water as they'll allow. 

If you have just one empty bottle (okay, maybe a couple -- they're easy to lose), you can refill it over and over again.  The ship's water is purified just like bottled water.  

I like the little powdered "sticks" of drink mix ... they're what I use at home, and they can't spill.  My daughter strongly prefers the bottles with liquid flavor.  Either way, you know what's in your beverage.  I do really like the ship's lemonade, but I asked a WIndjammer staffer to let me see the back of the container he was mixing up, and it's Nestle's brand -- chock full of sugar.  

Sorry...12 each of us or combined?

The rule is 12 per stateroom. 

The reality is that the terminal staff don't really know who's with whom.  I've seen loads of people walking together, each of them toting a 12-pack of soda.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On 2/8/2024 at 2:06 PM, smokeybandit said:

I know it started when there were so many covid concerns onboard, but having to use a clean cup to refill your own water bottle is amusing to me. At least as a health concern.

On shore restaurant buffets "require" you to get a fresh plate when returning.  This isn't a restaurant policy but a health department rule.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gatour said:

On shore restaurant buffets "require" you to get a fresh plate when returning.  This isn't a restaurant policy but a health department rule.

But for cups, many restaurants have self-serve refillable stations where you're not expected to get a fresh cup.

On 2/8/2024 at 2:06 PM, smokeybandit said:

I know it started when there were so many covid concerns onboard, but having to use a clean cup to refill your own water bottle is amusing to me. At least as a health concern.

It was long before covid that they asked you to refill your personal water bottle from a glass.  The problem was people would put a bottle with a narrow opening right up to the nozzle.  Think about it, drink from a water bottle then put that bottle up to the nozzle on the dispenser.  If using a glass that normally wouldn't happen whether first use or subsequent.  Have personally witnessed the issue with bottles with the sign right there well before covid.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm just surprised.  I mean, if you said one of the older, smaller ships didn't have Freestyle machines, I wouldn't think twice 

I like the little powdered "sticks" of drink mix ... they're what I use at home, and they can't spill.  My daughter strongly prefers the bottles with liquid flavor.  Either way, you know what's in your beverage.  I do really like the ship's lemonade, but I asked a WIndjammer staffer to let me see the back of the container he was mixing up, and it's Nestle's brand -- chock full of sugar.  

The rule is 12 per stateroom. 

The reality is that the terminal staff don't really know who's with whom.  I've seen loads of people walking together, each of them toting a 12-pack of soda.  

Yeah again I have no first hand knowledge...basing it on replies here. Never been on Liberty. 

I usually take the sticks on trips (liquid at home) just because its easier to stick a stick somewhere to carry around.  

Yeah I thought about the limits too..

.in addition to the fact that were b2b. How can they know? I dont want to have issues but we'll probably try to bring the limit for both legs at the start. Wanna deny me half of what I'm bringing? Won't ruin my trip. 

13 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Yeah I thought about the limits too..

.in addition to the fact that were b2b. How can they know? I dont want to have issues but we'll probably try to bring the limit for both legs at the start. Wanna deny me half of what I'm bringing? Won't ruin my trip. 

If you're boarding for a B2B you'll have documents for two cruises.  

I agree that losing a 12-pack of soda wouldn't ruin my trip, and I could run it back to the car, if I really cared.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If you're boarding for a B2B you'll have documents for two cruises.  

I agree that losing a 12-pack of soda wouldn't ruin my trip, and I could run it back to the car, if I really cared.

Yeah I probably don't care enough to go back to the car. Even in Bayonne where it's not enormous it's not worth it. Id give it to someone else before doing that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Yeah I probably don't care enough to go back to the car. Even in Bayonne where it's not enormous it's not worth it. Id give it to someone else before doing that. 

And maybe they'd be kind enough to give it back to you once on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe they still haven't put Freestyle machines on Liberty.  I cruised Liberty out of Galveston pre-Covid and thought they were way behind the times back then!  They always gave the excuse that they couldn't get the Freestyle flavor cartridges in Texas.  I remember they did have old school coke machines like most fast food restaurants have, but that won't help if you want anything non-carbonated.

57 minutes ago, mil76 said:

I can't believe they still haven't put Freestyle machines on Liberty.  I cruised Liberty out of Galveston pre-Covid and thought they were way behind the times back then!  They always gave the excuse that they couldn't get the Freestyle flavor cartridges in Texas.  I remember they did have old school coke machines like most fast food restaurants have, but that won't help if you want anything non-carbonated.

..or sugar/caffeine free. Usually I'll get sprite zero or minute maid sf lemonade, but am not confident in the fountain or bar options.   We'll be fine just wanted to make sure I don't underhydrate as I'm known to do.