Bringing beverages onboard

artvlay

3 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

I remember back in the day they’d take the cans out of our soda cartons to make sure it WAS soda and not beer!  Haven’t had that in a long time. 

That happened to us 2 weeks ago in Galveston.  Opened up our 2 12-packs of diet Pepsi, took out every can, put them back in the box, and re-taped it up.  We had the plus package so no reason to smuggle anything on, we just prefer Pepsi to Coke. 

Speaking of back in the day, when we first started cruising we could put a luggage tag on a case of beer and have it delivered to our cabin 🙂  

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lol years and years and years ago we put a small box of wine in checked luggage. They found it. I got the naughty letter in my suitcase. Few days later we did a galley tour. My box of wine was sitting right on a shelf. Dh had to put his hands over my mouth as I wanted to shout THATS MY WINE. And tie my hands behind my back to not claim it. End of smuggling days! 🥴🤯

14 hours ago, trhattan said:

Somewhat related:  Does Princess still have a Soda package?  The Princess Plus & Premier packages are way overpriced for non-alcohol drinkers.

Sure, but it is not necessarily a good value.  As long as you are paying Crew Appreciation and booking Internet, look at the costs:

CA = $16/day

MNet = $15/day

Soda = $17.70/day

TOTAL = almost $49/day.  Only $11/day more and you have the Plus covered.  If you don't drink anything other than what that package includes, then it is a good deal.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 8:56 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

That happened to us 2 weeks ago in Galveston.  Opened up our 2 12-packs of diet Pepsi, took out every can, put them back in the box, and re-taped it up.  We had the plus package so no reason to smuggle anything on, we just prefer Pepsi to Coke. 

Speaking of back in the day, when we first started cruising we could put a luggage tag on a case of beer and have it delivered to our cabin 🙂  

We did that with a case of wine...didn't know you could do beer as well?

Just now, suzyed said:

We did that with a case of wine...didn't know you could do beer as well?

Ha!  That was back in the early 2000's when Princess allowed you to bring on a 'reasonable amount' of beer and wine.  A luggage tag worked on probably 3 or 4 cruises from Galveston and then they changed the policy.  We still had a decent bar bill so it wasn't like we didn't purchase any onboard as well 🙂  We typically just put the carry on beer in our fridge for balcony consumption.  

Now we just get the Plus package.  Although on our Island cruise last fall they ran out of our preferred beer on day 2 of a 12 day cruise.  That was a fail by Princess.  

On 2/10/2024 at 12:59 PM, Crusin Karen said:

Thank you. The wine would be for my cabin. I was wondering if they’d say anything if they saw 2 bottles in my luggage at check in. 

We have put a bottle or two of wine/champagne in our checked luggage just because they were difficult to carry-on with our 2 allowed bottles of champagne. We weren't trying to hide it and if they did call us down we would have just paid the corkage.  We actually had a note on the luggage saying they saw the Champagne but there were no repercussions. 

4 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Ha!  That was back in the early 2000's when Princess allowed you to bring on a 'reasonable amount' of beer and wine.  A luggage tag worked on probably 3 or 4 cruises from Galveston and then they changed the policy.  We still had a decent bar bill so it wasn't like we didn't purchase any onboard as well 🙂  We typically just put the carry on beer in our fridge for balcony consumption.  

Now we just get the Plus package.  Although on our Island cruise last fall they ran out of our preferred beer on day 2 of a 12 day cruise.  That was a fail by Princess.  

Yes, our checked wine was probably back in 2012.  Just an aside, we saved a glass from each bottle for our MDR waiter and actually gave him a whole bottle we weren't fond of and he loved it.  Told us we were "too picky"....LOL!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, Crusin Karen said:

I wonder if I can say it’s for my cruise companion  who’s arriving separately. I’m not trying to break the rules, but I AM paying double fare just for myself. 

Paying a solo supplement has nothing to do with bringing a second bottle of wine. 

8 hours ago, suzyed said:

We have put a bottle or two of wine/champagne in our checked luggage just because they were difficult to carry-on with our 2 allowed bottles of champagne. We weren't trying to hide it and if they did call us down we would have just paid the corkage.  We actually had a note on the luggage saying they saw the Champagne but there were no repercussions. 

Sometime they make you pay & sometimes not. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:20 PM, Crusin Karen said:

I wonder if I can say it’s for my cruise companion  who’s arriving separately. I’m not trying to break the rules, but I AM paying double fare just for myself. 

I carry my Moms in my bag and have never been questioned (2 bottles and 2 12 packs of sparkling water)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1