Symphony of the Seas metal doors?

Does anyone know if the outside of the doors of the cabins on SOS are metal? I want to put a magnet on the outside and wondering if it will stick. I know some doors on some cruise ships are painted and might hinder the magnetic hold.  Thanks 

I had an item stolen last week on Allure (4 night  mid week, no spring break, few kids.)  I hope the person who took a $1.25 sign is happy.  Funny, they left the hook magnet, which was worth more than the sign they took.  

M

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I had an item stolen last week on Allure (4 night  mid week, no spring break, few kids.)  I hope the person who took a $1.25 sign is happy.  Funny, they left the hook magnet, which was worth more than the sign they took.  

M

Did you see someone remove it? I've seen those things on the hallway floors and maybe it just fell off and got thrown away. But I guess when you leave items outside of your cabin these things happen. Sorry.

On 2/10/2024 at 10:04 AM, iKarenE said:

Does anyone know if the outside of the doors of the cabins on SOS are metal? I want to put a magnet on the outside and wondering if it will stick. I know some doors on some cruise ships are painted and might hinder the magnetic hold.  Thanks 

Yes, the doors on Symphony are magnetic.

* Our home made magnetic sandals stayed on the door on our b5b. A crew member liked it, and gave it to her.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

On Symphony now and our door is magnetic.  The usual signs like the one for making up the room is a magnet.

So, are they using "make up the room" sign again?  Terrific   Seems the signs has only  been "sleeping off the adventure" ( or something like that ) as a do not disturb. I'm glad so see that make up room sign is back.  .  I never understood how the cabin attendant knew the cabin was vacant and available to service.  Thx

M

On 2/10/2024 at 6:21 PM, Morecruisesplz said:

Did you see someone remove it? I've seen those things on the hallway floors and maybe it just fell off and got thrown away. But I guess when you leave items outside of your cabin these things happen. Sorry.

No way it could have fallen.  It was wooden with a hole that fit on the hook magnet.  One really had to work to get it off the magnet.  

I didn't "Leave items" outside of the cabin, It was secure on a hook on the door.   

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

6 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

So, are they using "make up the room" sign again?  Terrific   Seems the signs has only  been "sleeping off the adventure" ( or something like that ) as a do not disturb. I'm glad so see that make up room sign is back.  .  I never understood how the cabin attendant knew the cabin was vacant and available to service.  Thx

M

The sign says “out catching thrills” but underneath that is says “Please make up my room”.

I hope that the "out catching thrills" signs are back.  To my knowledge, only Adventure is still using them.  I really don't understand why them banished those signs but it was not a coincidence that they disappeared at the same time as they decided to go to once-a-day cabin service.

When we were on AD a few months ago, I asked our room attendant for one of the "out catching thrills" signs, which he graciously gave me.  I put it in my luggage so that I would have it to use on our next cruise.  I can't recall which ship that was...but when I put the 'out catching thrills" sign up, it disappeared !  I assumed someone had snatched it off the door....but when I asked the room attendant about it, he said that he had taken it and that he had been "ordered" to remove that sign, if he saw one.  I demanded it back, which he did.  So now I have one, but I dare not use it.  🙄

6 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

No way it could have fallen.  It was wooden with a hole that fit on the hook magnet.  One really had to work to get it off the magnet.  

I didn't "Leave items" outside of the cabin, It was secure on a hook on the door.   

M

The outside of the door is outside of your cabin. 

On our TA (Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale) on Silhouette in 2018 was our 50th Anniversary cruise.  Our kids gave us a magnetic sign w/our wedding photos on it and we had it on our door.  No one took it but we did get a lot of attention because of it.  All the doors and walls on a cruise ship are metal.  We often used magnetic hooks on the inside walls.

12 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I hope that the "out catching thrills" signs are back.  To my knowledge, only Adventure is still using them.  I really don't understand why them banished those signs but it was not a coincidence that they disappeared at the same time as they decided to go to once-a-day cabin service.

When we were on AD a few months ago, I asked our room attendant for one of the "out catching thrills" signs, which he graciously gave me.  I put it in my luggage so that I would have it to use on our next cruise.  I can't recall which ship that was...but when I put the 'out catching thrills" sign up, it disappeared !  I assumed someone had snatched it off the door....but when I asked the room attendant about it, he said that he had taken it and that he had been "ordered" to remove that sign, if he saw one.  I demanded it back, which he did.  So now I have one, but I dare not use it.  🙄

As I mentioned in my post just before yours, on Symphony we have the “out catching thrills” magnetic sign on our door this week.  So not just Adventure.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I would think that the hallways have camera's.  Perhaps you should have asked to see if someone took your magnets.  We have never had a problem on other ships.

I know others have reportedly done that but frankly, I would NEVER bother security to investigate a stolen $1 item.   I'll simply head back to the dollar store for another decoration.  

Christmas cruise was the opposite. Kids were adding magnets to the doors.  One day I remarked about new magnets to the cabin attendant, and he told me kids down the hall decorated everyone's door.  

M

36 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I know others have reportedly done that but frankly, I would NEVER bother security to investigate a stolen $1 item.   I'll simply head back to the dollar store for another decoration.  

Christmas cruise was the opposite. Kids were adding magnets to the doors.  One day I remarked about new magnets to the cabin attendant, and he told me kids down the hall decorated everyone's door.  

M

Not dollar store items.  We purchase from each ship and port. Has meaning for many.  

16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not dollar store items.  We purchase from each ship and port. Has meaning for many.  

I personally would not place sentimental or costly items on the door. 

I've only had two items stolen in numerous cruises, so I guess my track record is good.  On the other hand, both times the items were cheap with no monetary or emotional value. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 7:34 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Do you ever use magnet to attach your cash to the outside of your door? If meaningful hang inside your cabin or keep in the safe.

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Dahaaaa

Sorry, but its difficult to find sympathy for someone who displays anything in a public area and then complains if it goes missing. (The hallway is not their area to display items that they find meaningful.) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Sorry, but its difficult to find sympathy for someone who displays anything in a public area and then complains if it goes missing. (The hallway is not their area to display items that they find meaningful.) 

Unfortunately people aren’t as honest as they used to be.  Could have been a teenager.  I feel sorry for the person who got kicks doing this

5 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Unfortunately people aren’t as honest as they used to be.  Could have been a teenager.  I feel sorry for the person who got kicks doing this

But you have no idea where it went nor does the poster. Could have been knocked off/broken by cabin attendant hitting with sweeper hose and thrown away. Why blame teenagers? And if people aren't as honest as they used to be [doubtful], why you dangle something meaningful to you in a public area? And then complain? 

33 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

But you have no idea where it went nor does the poster. Could have been knocked off/broken by cabin attendant hitting with sweeper hose and thrown away. Why blame teenagers? And if people aren't as honest as they used to be [doubtful], why you dangle something meaningful to you in a public area? And then complain? 

I like an inexpensive ( think dollar store) item on my door to identify  the cabin.  Often the folks on either side thank me as it helps them  as well.  In all the years, only two have disappeared.  

Last cruise, the item was stolen/lost /broken/borrowed/whatever, but I kept the hook magnet on the door.  SO funny as the magnet hook was worth more than the item that it held.   A savvy thief would have taken the magnet as well. 

M

18 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I like an inexpensive ( think dollar store) item on my door to identify  the cabin.  Often the folks on either side thank me as it helps them  as well.  In all the years, only two have disappeared.  

Last cruise, the item was stolen/lost /broken/borrowed/whatever, but I kept the hook magnet on the door.  SO funny as the magnet hook was worth more than the item that it held.   A savvy thief would have taken the magnet as well. 

M

We just look for our cabin #. 

• Thanks 1