Just off the Epic, boy has the food gone downhill!

11 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I never said I needed another way to vacation I like cruising and land vacations. I just stated I have not like the main courses in the MDR in years.

By they way they buy farmed Tilapia. Mostly from Thailand. They raise them in pools and are on the bottom of the food chain.  

You really are trying hard LOL

Bottom of the food chain? Pretty sure you are not familiar with that term LOL. Being a farmed protein, it cannot be bottom of food chain LOL

Tilapia is famed all over the world, as well as in the US.

I am done with you. Don't like MDR, don't eat there and be done with that. The crowds and lines ups at MDR's indicate you are in a small group 🙂

Have a nice cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Friends just got off the Encore on Sunday after a 7 day cruise. They ate dinner twice at specialty restaurants and the rest in the main dining rooms. They said the food including the buffet (breakfast and lunch was very good

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Friends just got off the Encore on Sunday after a 7 day cruise. They ate dinner twice at specialty restaurants and the rest in the main dining rooms. They said the food including the buffet (breakfast and lunch was very good

Good to hear. Hoping our cruise on the Jewel will be also!

4 hours ago, pete_coach said:

OK, ya don't like tilapia but, it does not change my comment that says it is the 3rd or 4th most popular fish in the US 🙂

Tilapia is popular because it is readily accessible, versatile, and cheap.

As of this very moment I can buy a 10lb case for my restaurant from Sysco for 2.74/lb.

Fresh salmon is 9.68/lb, Grouper is 10.43/lb..... today's wholesale prices.

Any nicer restaurant would never have a cheap fish like Tilapia on their menu.  And guests should have higher standards than to allow a nicer restaurant (as I would consider the main dining room to be) to skate by serving lower standards of food.

I had Jerk Tilapia from the Buffet on The Joy and it was wonderful - it should not be the fish of the day in the dining room.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, brad0576 said:

Tilapia is popular because it is readily accessible, versatile, and cheap.

As of this very moment I can buy a 10lb case for my restaurant from Sysco for 2.74/lb.

Fresh salmon is 9.68/lb, Grouper is 10.43/lb..... today's wholesale prices.

Any nicer restaurant would never have a cheap fish like Tilapia on their menu.  And guests should have higher standards than to allow a nicer restaurant (as I would consider the main dining room to be) to skate by serving lower standards of food.

I had Jerk Tilapia from the Buffet on The Joy and it was wonderful - it should not be the fish of the day in the dining room.

I get that some species are more expensive than others.

Personally, I am not a fish eater so, I really am not concerned about what fish is served. 🙂

I also get that many fish in stores and restaurants are sold as one species and are in fact, something else (often cheaper species). We, the common person, are not smart enough to know what the differences are, especially when they are cooked. Many are eating fish that is not what is advertised.

https://thehealthyfish.com/5-commonly-mislabeled-fish/

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/02/21/172589997/one-in-three-fish-sold-at-restaurants-and-grocery-stores-is-mislabeled

Thank you for your take on this.

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I've had tilapia before and it is an okay fish.  My favorite by far is Mahi Mahi, but it is a bit more expensive and totally worth it.  Unfortunately, I haven't come across it much on a cruise.

In November the fish on the fish sandwich  was Mahi Mahi. It was my first time having it and it was absolutely scrumptious!! I'd love to go back and have another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

In November the fish on the fish sandwich  was Mahi Mahi. It was my first time having it and it was absolutely scrumptious!! I'd love to go back and have another.

I catch a lot of them during the summer (Dolphin) they fight like heck and taste great

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brad0576 said:

I see what you did there. 😉

• Haha 2

On 2/16/2024 at 2:52 PM, zqvol said:

My experience is that club balcony suite is either green or orange

Exclusive Club Balcony Suite Amenities

• Distinctive Purple Keycard
  • Pre-book onboard dining as early as 125 days prior to sailing
  • Pre-book entertainment as early as 21 days prior to sailing
  • 1 complimentary valet laundry
  • 1 bottle of sparkling wine upon embarkation
  • Treats delivered to your stateroom twice per week.

Well their site says one of the perks of a club balcony is an exclusive purple card.. so, there's that.. 🙂

48 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Well their site says one of the perks of a club balcony is an exclusive purple card.. so, there's that.. 🙂

Crap, my last cruise Club Balcony and have a green card. Maybe I shoild complain 🤔 

1 hour ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

It says "Exclusive" Club Balcony Suite Amenities is Purple keycard, we have had a purple keycard several times for b2b so not sure what their definition of exclusive is 😂

We were on the Getaway last may and the food was great. Looking forward to going back to her again next March. We just got off the Epic Feb. 11th and I can't agree more the food was not so great. I didn't really care for the ship either. The staff was great just not the ship.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grammymongi said:

We were on the Getaway last may and the food was great. Looking forward to going back to her again next March. We just got off the Epic Feb. 11th and I can't agree more the food was not so great. I didn't really care for the ship either. The staff was great just not the ship.

We are going on the Jewel next time and hoping that the food is better than the Epic's.  Crossing our fingers that it was an "Epic" thing...pun intended 😂

4 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

They don't even mention the main reason we often opt for a club balcony - the larger shower. 

We usually book much closer to sailing than 125 days, so dining is usually already filled for any reasonable time.

We have seen every show that you make reservations for, and most were so forgettable that I'd never want to see them again (can anybody say "Burn The Floor"?)

I have no use for the complimentary laundry since we already get two bags free as Latitudes perks.  

Since most people have FAS, that bottle of wine is worthless (and undrinkable anyway).

The treats are sometimes okay, but often don't get eaten.

So, that leaves the exclusive purple card, which I know I'll cherish for years to come.

4 hours ago, Grammymongi said:

We were on the Getaway last may and the food was great. Looking forward to going back to her again next March.

a lot can happen between now and next march, but i just got off the getaway a few weeks ago. prepare to be underwhelmed by the food. 

cagney's was good. two dishes in the MDR were good. the biffet is a shadow of its former self... with lots of repeated items and poor quality items. o'sheehan's wasn't very good and they had limited selections (fewer items than the regular late night menu) and limited hours overnight.

Edited by UKstages

FWIW, just got off the Bliss. FWIW, we all thought the buffet was excellent, with the daily (all three meals) Indian food really top notch.

I thought the main dining rooms had their ups and downs. Entrées were all mostly good. Appetizers and salads, and desserts to a degree, were hit and miss. I had maybe the worst Caesar salad I've ever had and the spinach and artichoke dip is nearly tasteless (and devoid of artichoke, as best as I could tell), and our lava cakes lacked anything resembling "lava." On the other hand, I had several excellent soups and other appetizers that were quite good.

5 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

We have seen every show that you make reservations for, and most were so forgettable that I'd never want to see them again (can anybody say "Burn The Floor"?)

Burn the Floor was the 2nd best show I've seen NCL. Now, don't get me started about Footloose and Donna Summer. I don't think the descriptive words that I use would be allowed here.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:52 PM, FPMoosally said:

Burn the Floor was the 2nd best show I've seen NCL. Now, don't get me started about Footloose and Donna Summer. I don't think the descriptive words that I use would be allowed here.

Just got off the Epic couple weeks ago. Burn the Floor was a fave. Better than most Vegas shows.

Food was good. Cagneys twice and Modernos once. MDR once, but not a fan. Mrs liked the Bliss Lounge. Did the Sky Vodka Ice Room. 5+ shots in 10 minutes. What's not to like?

I think the food value-wise is fair, at least compared to what the cruise fare is. And the drunk, I mean drink, package, come-on!

Trying the Jewel next in couple months Alaska bound. .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, embarkmy- said:

Just got off the Epic couple weeks ago. Burn the Floor was a fave. Better than most Vegas shows.

Food was good. Cagneys twice and Modernos once. MDR once, but not a fan. Mrs liked the Bliss Lounge. Did the Sky Vodka Ice Room. 5+ shots in 10 minutes. What's not to like?

I think the food value-wise is fair, at least compared to what the cruise fare is. And the drunk, I mean drink, package, come-on!

Trying the Jewel next in couple months Alaska bound. .

Welcome to CC.

• 1 month later...

I was on the Epic in December. I didn’t like the food in the buffet.I had always loved the spaghetti. They only served it a couple of times even though I complained. I was on a 16 day cruise. I look forward to having Spaghetti on the Epic. The food in the other venue was good but not like the last time. I was on the Sun a couple of days before the Epic for a whole month. The food was Great and I got my Spaghetti at the buffet.

I haven't been on Epic, but I was on Bliss earlier this year.  I had to send food back almost every time when it was first brought out.  Meats were cold. Baked potato was so cold even the soft butter would not melt.  We just started selling the server that " we really want hot food ( not just a hot plate that has been under a heat lamp).  If it comes out cold/ room temp, we WILL be sending it back.  So save yourself all the trips and make sure our food is hot.  We will wait longer for hot food".  After saying that, we hadn't had to send anything back.  Wasn't like home cooked hot, but definelty butter would melt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1