Just off the Epic, boy has the food gone downhill!

15 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Then don’t go to the specialty restaurants.. problem solved, and that is one less thing to complain about. 

As I think you probably already know (perhaps not, but probably so), I don't, beyond the Free at Sea. Other than my yummy and scrumptious mozzarella sticks. Mmmmmmm, I do mourn their loss!

On 2/11/2024 at 5:14 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

We sailed on the Epic last month for 3 weeks. We both can't believe the decline in the food on the Epic. We usually gain at least 7 lbs each on a 3 week cruise, we both lost a couple of pounds. I understand that food is subjective but the cuts and types of meats offered was shocking. Below is a few examples:

La Bistro - fillet was so tough you could not even chew it, portions seem to be half the size, I have never seen pureed Pasta Fagioli soup but it sure was pureed with 2 macaroni noodles (tasted and looked like white bean soup with 2 macaroni noodles floating in it)!

Moderno - meats were tough, hard to get someone to come to the table with meat, lamb chops is now lamb sirloin and it was very fatty and had a really bad wild smell, the sausage was the size of cocktail sausages and burned (no longer the large sausage that you would put on a bun), etc. We had booked Moderno's twice but cancelled the second booking since it was so bad the first time.

Shanghai's - portions were about half the size they use to be. 

Main Dining Room - I must say the menu's were really bad. I understand the menus repeat each week but out of 7 days, the main items were turkey twice, brats twice and pork several times. The New York Strip on the classic menu had a good taste but too tough to chew. We ordered pasta several times for it to be really dry and not much sauce on it. They use to serve Swordfish, Cod, Grouper, or trout. The fish they offered this time was Coalfish (Pollock), Tilapia, Hake, Flounder. They did have Red Snapper in an Asian Dish but there was one 1 inch square piece of Snapper and no more fish!

O'Sheehan's - not a fan of the wings anymore. They were so soggy! We use to eat them all the time, not this time. 

Just a question, do all the ships puree every soup? Every soup on the Epic was pureed, corn chowder, bean soup, pasta fagioli, even the French Onion soup had no onion in it, just broth.

Cagney's, La Cucina and Teppanyaki's were the best. We don't eat rice and asked for Udon noodles at Teppanyaki's and they were awesome!

Don't get me wrong, we didn't starve but was shocked at the decline in the food quality. We have the Jewel booked next, hoping it is better than the Epic. Will probably be going back to MSC after that if the food remains as bad as it was on the Epic.

Otherwise had a great 3 weeks!

Food concerns is one of the main reason I booked an Haven suite on NCL Joy in May 2024. I’m glad to hear Cagney’s & Teppanyaki is still satisfactory.  Other than aforementioned specialty restaurants I plan to dine mainly in the Haven restaurant.  I’ve cruise only once in an Haven Suite back in 2019 on NCL Escape and loved it so much that I now can’t cruise any other way!  I hope the Haven restaurant food continues to be good quality.  Sorry to hear cruise food is going downhill…if this starts to happen in the Haven I may have to give up cruising.  I’m not much of a drinker but it’s nice to look forward to a nice meal especially when paying so much for the cruise.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:17 AM, Laszlo said:

If you are looking for the best food you need to sail Oceania

From personal experience this is no longer the case. We were on the Island Princess August/September 2023 around Great Britain

and two weeks later NYC round trip to Bermuda on the Oceania Insignia.  The food was much better on Princess. Really! We were surprised because on several previous Oceania cruises the food  was reliably excellent.

Decline of food quality is happening everywhere.

seachelt

I was on the Epic April 2023 and the food was pretty good. I don't think I had one issue with a meal throughout the 8 day cruise. 

However, we were recently on the Sky, and yes, while it is a smaller ship, the food wasn't that great. The meals in the dining room were frequently lukewarm, the buffet was awful, and Cagneys was again, a disappointment. Both on the Star and the Sky, Cagneys was disappointing. Like OP, I didn't gain any weight on the Sky (but that might have been due to the stomach bug or food poisoning that I ended up having).

On 2/12/2024 at 5:33 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

I was referring to bland also. I might have gotten my wording across wrong. There was basically no seasoning used. I even remember their breads having spices such as Rosemary. Thyme, etc, not this time. Our bread that we received in the MDR was plain rolls each night. I use a lot of seasonings, thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano and these are not used anymore due to the dislike and complaints of customers according to the maitre 'd. I can understand not using spicy as in hot but why would they not use herbs!

Judging by the cost of spices at super market this is probably yet another cost cut for NCL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/11/2024 at 11:45 PM, UKstages said:

it's not the epic... it appears to be all ships across the fleet.

i disembarked from the getaway earlier this week and my experience was, more or less, the same as yours.

My experience last November on the Breakaway was a total different one. I couldn`t notice any decline in food quality at all.

Ok,Moderno was a bit...well,it took very long until someone came to your table with new meat.

But apart from that all was fine.

yes, i myself sailed on the joy in october and things were relatively "normal."

but there was a marked contrast, a tipping point, that seems to have taken place since then. 

the getaway's food was far lower in quality than that experienced a few months earlier on the joy and the buffet was far more carnival-like, than what one would normally be used to on an NCL ship.

i stated that it was difficult to know whether the difference was due to a poorly managed ship or a fleet-wide decline in the quality of food.  i theorized it was the latter and i[m suggesting now that experiences onboard a few months ago are no longer valid data points, as many have noted a rapid decline in the product on cruises within the last month or so, including me.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 4:14 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

We sailed on the Epic last month for 3 weeks. We both can't believe the decline in the food on the Epic. We usually gain at least 7 lbs each on a 3 week cruise, we both lost a couple of pounds. I understand that food is subjective but the cuts and types of meats offered was shocking. Below is a few examples:

La Bistro - fillet was so tough you could not even chew it, portions seem to be half the size, I have never seen pureed Pasta Fagioli soup but it sure was pureed with 2 macaroni noodles (tasted and looked like white bean soup with 2 macaroni noodles floating in it)!

Moderno - meats were tough, hard to get someone to come to the table with meat, lamb chops is now lamb sirloin and it was very fatty and had a really bad wild smell, the sausage was the size of cocktail sausages and burned (no longer the large sausage that you would put on a bun), etc. We had booked Moderno's twice but cancelled the second booking since it was so bad the first time.

Main Dining Room - I must say the menu's were really bad. I understand the menus repeat each week but out of 7 days, the main items were turkey twice, brats twice and pork several times. The New York Strip on the classic menu had a good taste but too tough to chew. We ordered pasta several times for it to be really dry and not much sauce on it. They use to serve Swordfish, Cod, Grouper, or trout. The fish they offered this time was Coalfish (Pollock), Tilapia, Hake, Flounder. They did have Red Snapper in an Asian Dish but there was one 1 inch square piece of Snapper and no more fish!

O'Sheehan's - not a fan of the wings anymore. They were so soggy! We use to eat them all the time, not this time. 

Just a question, do all the ships puree every soup? Every soup on the Epic was pureed, corn chowder, bean soup, pasta fagioli, even the French Onion soup had no onion in it, just broth.

Cagney's, La Cucina and Teppanyaki's were the best. We don't eat rice and asked for Udon noodles at Teppanyaki's and they were awesome!

Don't get me wrong, we didn't starve but was shocked at the decline in the food quality. We have the Jewel booked next, hoping it is better than the Epic. Will probably be going back to MSC after that if the food remains as bad as it was on the Epic.

I'm surprised Le Bistro served a classic Italian soup.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:05 AM, Chirphy6438 said:

Poor reviews across the NCL are beginning to sound like the norm for this cruise line sadly.  Wish we had researched these reviews before booking on the Joy this May.  I'm now beginning to research other cruise lines for next years sailing.   Thanks for your review. 

I was on Oasis of the Seas in September and was disappointed in the food quality and selection 

• Like 1

On my recent 15 day cruise on the Bliss and had virtually no complaints, La Cucina pasta wasn’t great but being half Italian doesn’t help, but had plenty of food. 

Cagneys, Le Bistro were stand outs and had great meals there. Went to the MDR and the food was totally acceptable and the buffet quality was great. 

As to portion sizes, as an Aussie I love the smaller portions, (not including Q) you can order more if you want but I don’t like the huge portions and wasting food. 

have their been cut back, of course, did I go hungry or get upset with it, not at all. 

The "decline" has been very subtle for me sailing out of New York. I imagine experiences vary due to ship and itinerary. Since I rarely dine out on land, both NCL's main dining and specialty dining are always a treat to me. That staff are amazing although occasionally overwhelmed or lacking adequate training.

Cagney's - I always have the same - A medium ribeye with the parmesan truffle fries. It seems the past few cruises I have not gotten the steak at the correct temperature. I've heard a few complaints from staff that they are overwhelmed due to the number free at sea dining packages and Lattitudes members with vouchers. The truffle fries were under seasoned and under cooked. Despite this, Cagney's is still my favorite. A slightly overcooked ribeye will not ruin my vacation.

Moderno's - Another favorite. I haven't seen any big change to the salad bar. Although consistently what I call the "soy sauce" lobster bisque has never my favorite. The quality and selection of meats has been very good. However the preparation varies -- Usually one of these happens but usually not all at the same time thankfully (too salty, overdone dry chicken/pork, bloody red meat, etc.) Again not a show stopper.

La Cucina - Another favorite.  I observed no changes but I usually always order the same thing. Calamari, pizza, carbonara, salad.

Food republic - Another favorite. I observed no changes but I usually always order the same thing. Lamb chops, the yakitoris, ramen, udon or pho. The pork belly dumpling may as well be called grease dumplings and completely oozing with pork belly fat. I want to eat it but my heart is screaming "Don't do it!"

Sushi - I enjoy nigiri sushi and would like to have often but they consistently slice the fish paper thin and way over priced a la carte. The rolls are better value.

Main dining rooms - I enjoy the dishes there. No complaints about the preparation or quality. The potion size are sometimes laughably small and lately I've had to go to the buffet, OSheehan's/Local, room service to fill up. You'd think NCL would want people full at dinner so they don't overwhelm the staff at other venues.

Edited by kylenyc

On 2/11/2024 at 5:14 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

We have never been on an MSC cruise but heard from people who have and they say food on those ships are mainly pastas, and not as good. We are going on the Epic in April, i hope it does get better.

Currently on the Epic - hello from Amber Cove 

compared to my last ship (Joy) the epic is a few steps below in service and food quality - the buffet just seems repetitive and limited - the dining room service has been spotty - and the food quality seems lacking.

for a cruise line that was trying to be known for its culinary - it has taken a step backwards 

on a side note the crowd on this cruise seems off to me - I have never seen more orange cards on a cruise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, brad0576 said:

on a side note the crowd on this cruise seems off to me - I have never seen more orange cards on a cruise.

Forgive me, but is an orange card?

Edited by ChiCruzr

36 minutes ago, brad0576 said:

First timer on NCL has an orange key card

So this is new to me. I have my first upcoming cruise with NCL. I assume the color is different for the number of cruises? Is Haven a different color as well? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, pezgirlroy77 said:

So this is new to me. I have my first upcoming cruise with NCL. I assume the color is different for the number of cruises? Is Haven a different color as well? Thanks. 

orange - first time

green - returning guest 

purple - suite 

tan-ish (I think) - haven 

14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

does purple signify a "suite" or, more specifically, a club balcony suite?

(which isn't really a suite at all, of course.)

My experience is that club balcony suite is either green or orange

1 hour ago, brad0576 said:

compared to my last ship (Joy) the epic is a few steps below in service and food quality - the buffet just seems repetitive and limited - the dining room service has been spotty - and the food quality seems lacking.

for a cruise line that was trying to be known for its culinary - it has taken a step backwards 

A little surprised to see you docked at Amber Cover - I thought NCL was using Taino Bay now.   We're on the Getaway in April and really hoping to dock at TB.  Is it possible to taxi there from AC if that's where we end up?  Thanks.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

On the food note, I'm somewhat anxious to see how our upcoming cruise compares to our last (Jan 2023) which had hits and misses compared to previous cruises... some quite good options but also a few literally inedible. 

On 2/14/2024 at 1:09 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Smaller portions, for larger prices (if ordering a la carte and not Free at Sea/Platinum meal) is not a good thing unless one likes to be robbed.

Robbed?

• Like 1