Best Line for Me & Bestie to Cruise to Alaska

Iceinmywhitewine

Hello, Cruise Critic community! I and my best friend (mid-20s, female), would like to cruise to Alaska in 2025. We travel together very well. But, we seem to want rather different things out of a cruise line, and I'm wondering if there's a happy medium. She wants fun activities like theatre shows, fitness/yoga classes, ziplines, pools, waterslides, bars, just more of a resort feel. These exact elements aren't necessary, but hopefully that gives you an idea. I enjoy some of those activities for sure, but I don't really like megaships. When I vacation I'm interested in fine dining, educational activities like museums and trivia, interesting or off-the-beaten-path excursions, and a great spa. She enjoys some of those activities, but I know that she would be bored to tears on an education-focused line like Viking, or a small-ship line. I have no doubt she and I could have the perfect vacation if we can find a line that can balance our different interests. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, thoughts, or tips!

We also enjoy Disney Parks, so if you've done a Disney Cruise to Alaska and have thoughts, feel free to reply. 

Please forgive me if I did this wrong, I'm new to posting after lurking without an account for a bit.

• Like 1

Some questions to answer first. Round trip (more sea time less ports easier flights) or one way (more cities harder flights and transportation). Seattle or Vancouver. Glaciers or no glaciers (for Glacier bay limited cruise lines). Go on youtube and search Alaska cruise you will get a feel for several lines. 

• Like 1

So if you want to make her happy, go Norwegian.  If you want to be happy, go Viking.  For a compromise, maybe one of the Royal class Princess ships out of Vancouver?  They focus on Alaska with a lot of speakers and events, but also nice spa, shows, and a gym.  Also not usually hundreds of kids running around.

10 hours ago, Iceinmywhitewine said:

Hello, Cruise Critic community! I and my best friend (mid-20s, female), would like to cruise to Alaska in 2025. We travel together very well. But, we seem to want rather different things out of a cruise line, and I'm wondering if there's a happy medium. She wants fun activities like theatre shows, fitness/yoga classes, ziplines, pools, waterslides, bars, just more of a resort feel. These exact elements aren't necessary, but hopefully that gives you an idea. I enjoy some of those activities for sure, but I don't really like megaships. When I vacation I'm interested in fine dining, educational activities like museums and trivia, interesting or off-the-beaten-path excursions, and a great spa. She enjoys some of those activities, but I know that she would be bored to tears on an education-focused line like Viking, or a small-ship line. I have no doubt she and I could have the perfect vacation if we can find a line that can balance our different interests. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, thoughts, or tips!

We also enjoy Disney Parks, so if you've done a Disney Cruise to Alaska and have thoughts, feel free to reply. 

Please forgive me if I did this wrong, I'm new to posting after lurking without an account for a bit.

We have not sailed Alaska, but are researching it for a 2025.  Pay LOTS of attention to number of passengers on a ship, if you prefer to not be on a megaship, because those will definitely pop up when you do your search.  I don't know enough about this cruiseline, but I encourage you to read about and watch online videos about Celebrity.  It might not have enough bells & whistles, but it sure looks like it might have a bit of a resort feel for your friend.

The Celebrity Edge would also make the friend happy -- this ship is definitely not your grandparent's cruise ship.  At least in 2024 it will be based out of Seattle so doesn't have the best itinerary, but will have naturalists on board, trivia, an excellent gym, spa and so forth.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:16 PM, Iceinmywhitewine said:

I think your friend wants a Caribbean vacation on a big ship with lots of activities. Lol which I have done and loved. 
Alaska, you are there for Alaska. Lots of people pick for the ship. That’s fine. Do that if you want. 
But I wanted to do Alaska for Alaska, I picked by, does it do all the inside passage, does it do Glacier bay, do you have a decent time in port, how many ports does it get in, etc.  For those my choices were HAL or Princess, making sure I wasn’t on a big princess ship that only does part of the inside passage. I chose Princess. I’m also glad we are going out of Vancouver because I’ve always wanted to go there so we are flying in 2 days early. 

That’s a tough call because you two are so different.  Someone mentioned Celebrity Edge and I agree whole heartedly. Edge Class ships are amazing and are some of my favorite ships. They’re a great mix of class and good entertainment. 

Princess has good activities and great itineraries, but their ships are my least favorite of all cruise lines.  For as good of a reputation they have in Alaska, you’d think they’d build ships with better viewing spaces. 

I don’t recommend Disney at all. They’re ok but for what you pay, they’re just not worth it. If that’s the way you’re leaning, go with RCI. 

2 hours ago, Casey12 said:

I would look into Princess. I would avoid any mega-ship in Alaska. Most main stream lines don't have great dining anymore. Or if they do it is additional.

This is kinda contradictory because some of the largest mega-ships sailing Alaska are Princess ships.  

To the Op, my recommendation is Royal Caribbean's Radiance Class ships.  In in my opinion, they are the perfect balance of fun and relaxation.  They're not the mega RCI ships with ziplines, but they do offer a lot of fun activities and great nightly entertainment.  Radiance and Brilliance sail out of Vancouver and, I think, Serenade is sailing out of Seattle.  Pick an itinerary that visits Hubbard Glacier.  

Personally, I would not choose any cruise that doesn't go to Glacier Bay if this will be your only trip to Alaska.  

If your friend is looking for pools and water slides, she is likely to be disappointed no matter what ship you choose.  Most people find it too cold to use the pools much, if at all.  The only time I've been on a ship with a water slide (my first AK cruise on Carnival with kids) I don't think it was ever open the whole trip.

People have made mixed comments about Princess, but I love them and think they might be a good choice for you.  They have theater shows and fitness classes for her, but also a naturalist and lectures about Alaska for you.  If you get Princess Plus (or Premier) it includes the drink package and a couple of fitness classes to keep your friend happy. 

On 2/14/2024 at 10:40 PM, Aquahound said:

This is kinda contradictory because some of the largest mega-ships sailing Alaska are Princess ships.  

To the Op, my recommendation is Royal Caribbean's Radiance Class ships.  In in my opinion, they are the perfect balance of fun and relaxation.  They're not the mega RCI ships with ziplines, but they do offer a lot of fun activities and great nightly entertainment.  Radiance and Brilliance sail out of Vancouver and, I think, Serenade is sailing out of Seattle.  Pick an itinerary that visits Hubbard Glacier.  

I would not sail Princess's megaships. I would stick to their smaller ships. There are more smaller ships sailing one way than megaships. I would not sail Royal Caribbean's Radiance Class ships. I would also pick a line that goes to Glacier Bay and RCCL does not. I think Princess is a line that offers something for everyone that would solve interests for both people.

Edited by Casey12