Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I should also note that the lunch menu in the dining room has been changing daily (not that I’ve done there ;))

Based on what I’ve read i believe this is new (or perhaps because this is a legendary cruise with a ton of sea days?)

704B722A-E016-4E1F-9D32-552BF0D59863.jpeg

It is not unique to legendary voyages.  I had the same experience on the Oosterdam last month. I actually liked the old menu but totally understand those who want variety 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a fantastic dinner at the Canaletto tonight.  I splurged & had the $19 lobster supplement and it was delicious.  The tiramisu is also right up there as one of the best we’ve had.  

IMG_3332.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

For anyone who wants to read the full NYT article that @TableGirl linked on the previous page, this link should allow you to view it without subscribing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/smarter-living/norovirus-prevention-stomach-flu-winter.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Zk0.tfqi.00dy8oNtKuuF&smid=url-share

On the other hand, you may not care much about reading about puke and other bodily functions when you’re on vacation, and I would understand that completely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

I don’t know what the status is with the GI issues on board, but yesterday I witnessed a man pick up cheese off the cheese board in the lido with his hands and eat it. I must be getting braver in my old age because I called him on it and said it was terrible and gross. “Well, no one is here to serve me and I only touched what I’m eating” was the reply. I just shook my head. Dude! Really???

Unfortunately many people are quite adept at rationalizing their selfish behaviour.  Several times on my Nov cruise I saw people in the lido grabbing cookies with their hands.  I personally find it gross the people who eat off their plates while in line instead of waiting to sit at a table.  Sometimes I wonder how we made it through the pandemic. 😉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ORTravelGal said:

On the other hand, you may not care much about reading about puke and other bodily functions when you’re on vacation, and I would understand that completely. 

So true - but well worth reading at some point.  But again - more information is better less IMO!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We had a fantastic dinner at the Canaletto tonight.  I splurged & had the $19 lobster supplement and it was delicious.

Thanks for the insight and the photo.  We have reservations there the first night so I think I’ll try it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TableGirl said:

Thanks for the insight and the photo.  We have reservations there the first night so I think I’ll try it!

If you have Canaletto reservation for embarcation night -- you should check in with HAL as since the program of offering steak in the Lido on first night started, Canaletto stewards are now helping there (as well, I suppose, as the tables being used). Of course, if you mean the first full day and the first day Canaletto is bookable, -- Carry on!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Today we crossed the equator. King Neptunes Ceremony to change the crew pollywogs into shellbacks. People seemed to really dig it. For those on next years voyage, all chairs were long gone by 9:00 for a 10:30 start. 

The very best part for me was finally some live music at the pool if only during the ceremony. I realize I’m too young to be HALs target audience since 95% of passengers are over 60 and 50% are well over 80;  but don’t they realize that 70 is the new 40?  

0CC5E549-41CA-4F95-A6ED-BB05127E362B.jpeg

D03054A6-458C-495B-8CD2-A99924E0D227.jpeg

EABC1168-B6D8-432B-867B-26DB9D824C54.jpeg

EC811336-C4AC-4C4E-9BA6-E25D1B1A9495.jpeg

8E5368F0-9EA9-40A5-81F2-DABCC555F5F4.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Game room update- Thanks to Oregonian17, Lani, for help organizing the room, and Thanks to EmsMom, Kathy & John, for taking my bag of games back & forth for possible players. I have Rummikub, Sequence, and  a new format Hand & Foot available. I’m playing duplicate bridge with my husband most afternoons. The room is cool and has more tables available. Refreshments not there now till GI stuff settles down.

Enjoy! If you’d like.  Thanks, Mary Pat (homer88)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning from the southern hemisphere. Here is the answer to the question you have all been pondering-  The toilet swirls the same direction (I think, because truth be told I never really noticed what direction a toilet swirls in the northern hemisphere). 

The beauty of a cruise this long is that  you can make brand new discoveries on day 17 and I made two very important discoveries last night.
1) The chicken wings at the deli during movies are excellent. Super meaty and just the right amount of spicy hot for me. 
2) The band in BBKing is on point. Seriously on point. My taste in music lends itself more to the playlist in Rolling Stones, but I fell in love with the amount of energy the BBKing band brought. I’m talking standing ovation energy!  Granted, by the end of their last set (11:30pm) the crowd was long gone but there were a few of us folks willing to burn the midnight oil- or more accurately the 11:30 oil.m because by midnight this ship is fast asleep. 

Few random photos and tonight’s menu:

11C12549-8ABD-496E-9DBB-9153ADD04667.jpeg

EC6783D8-D7DC-4350-809F-768590909E51.jpeg

79198603-4C6E-4813-85AE-6AD9787CFF5C.jpeg

either cruise critic or the ships internet has put me in the penalty box. I can’t upload photos right now. I’ll try again after dance class 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

2CFDA26D-8864-4F4E-B4C4-C4EC9D8C1401.png

whoop whoop!!I’m out of posting jail- but apparently my Cc account is drunk. Above is page one of todays lunch menu. Page two is the last photo in this thread.

Tonights dinner menus

6D781580-5F62-43B3-92C8-C94B2D5A7DED.jpeg

AFB0550F-D2EC-49F0-B7C1-D99C068D0F43.jpeg

Sunset near the equator

F68C166A-F7C5-4981-A3D3-351F8B5E5C6B.jpeg

current situation

133B619F-1F85-4E2E-862E-509FEFA971F1.jpeg

Notice two March 3rd. There are two sundays too. It’s a good thing I don’t have the drink package because  this has had me in the twilight zone since last Thursday (which was really Friday). 

99F85570-0DCF-4EA1-B4BF-F85F8AE8E362.jpeg

740E3657-814F-46D7-A231-546A2CB57564.png

• Like 4

@canadianbear

What app are you using for your map?

It looks like it does a nice job of mapping.

I use the paid version of MarineTraffic because it is great to track everything in and out of Port Everglades. However, it kind of falls down on generating a map while you are on the ship.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, POA1 said:

@canadianbear

What app are you using for your map?

It looks like it does a nice job of mapping.

I use the paid version of MarineTraffic because it is great to track everything in and out of Port Everglades. However, it kind of falls down on generating a map while you are on the ship.

It’s called CruiseMapper.  We are too cheap to pay for one 😂😂 so this one is free unless you upgrade.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have decided that the 6 hour snorkel, lunch on a motu, will be too much for MIL, so have 2 seats now for Sunday, March 10 in Moorea. Looks like a wonderful boat with padded seats, shade, water slide. From 9-3 (meeting at 0830). E-mail direct to akivailagoonadventures@gmail.com.  Internet pics at akivailagoonadventures.com    Passenger list is from our boat right now.  Our cost last April 2023 when we booked was 130euro per person.  Not sure what her coast is now. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 2:25 PM, d9704011 said:

No problem at all!!  I just booked some excursions in Hawaii and the $600 credit we had (2 x $300 each) disappeared lickety-split leaving a $960 excess to be paid off.  I'll think about the rest of the Pacific a little later....

I’m on this cruise next year and am booking with Viatour in the places where we have an overnight stay.  Using my HAL credits for the one day stops.  I like the guarantee that they hold the ship if one of their excursions is late. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We tried listening to BBKings (as we have always loved them) but was just too loud for us.  

I agree about the volume. They are really really good, but really loud. If they could dial back the sound a squidge, it'd be perfect.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I agree about the volume. They are really really good, but really loud. If they could dial back the sound a squidge, it'd be perfect.

I don't like the 'open' area they're in on the K - I prefer the 'room' they were in on the smaller ships.

• Like 4

I wish they didn’t have those honking big amps on either side of the front of the stage.  Too loud and they block sight lines.

• Like 2