Sharing specialty dinning

HeroG

Hi does anyone know if I am allowed to share my Free At Sea and Platinum Specialty dinners with my 16 year old son,? who btw should also be platinum but is not of age yet?

You can take your son to dinner with you as the 2nd person on your free Platinum Specialty Dinners. Also, you can share with him if you go to a restaurant such as Food Republic where you order 4 items off the menu. If he is paying for a dinner at one of the Specialty Restaurants and you are there using your Free At Sea, then you can give him one of your courses.

You can't give him your Card and let him present himself at the restaurant as you for the Free At Sea or for him to take someone to a restaurant for the two for one Platinum dinners without you.

3 hours ago, HeroG said:

Hi does anyone know if I am allowed to share my Free At Sea and Platinum Specialty dinners with my 16 year old son,? who btw should also be platinum but is not of age yet?

Why does your son not have his own platinum?

If he sailed all of those cruises, they should have given him the credits.

I'm not aware of any age requirement.

9 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Why does your son not have his own platinum?

If he sailed all of those cruises, they should have given him the credits.

I'm not aware of any age requirement.

You are not entitled to latitude points till you are 18, at which point apparently you will be credited with all of the points you have accumulated.  So when my son turns 18 he will ´apparently’ be platinum 

• Like 1

By the terms and conditions.....

SDPs are personal (per person, e.g., 2 guests cannot share 1 SDP meal) and non-transferable (guests cannot give their SDP meals to someone else). 

...but you might not get charged unless you order more than what the SDP covers.

As far as Platinum, watch out.  Rules changed like seven years ago. It used to be if you had a kid that had sailed a lot under 18 those points would then make them whatever matching level at age 18.  It then changed that they had to sail once after turning 18 but those already at a certain level before program change were supposed to be grandfathered in.  However, programming never put in place and Lats folks clueless.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dexddd said:

As far as Platinum, watch out.  Rules changed like seven years ago. It used to be if you had a kid that had sailed a lot under 18 those points would then make them whatever matching level at age 18.  It then changed that they had to sail once after turning 18 but those already at a certain level before program change were supposed to be grandfathered in.  However, programming never put in place and Lats folks clueless.

Yea its a joke my son was 20 last cruise should have been platinum but nope. Now on this next cruise the room is in his name at 21 we will see what happens. I am guessing he will have to call and get the run around like everything else.

13 hours ago, HeroG said:

You are not entitled to latitude points till you are 18, at which point apparently you will be credited with all of the points you have accumulated.  So when my son turns 18 he will ´apparently’ be platinum 

Interesting.

I did not see any reference to that on the NCL Latitudes page.

25 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Interesting.

I did not see any reference to that on the NCL Latitudes page.

Latitudes page FAQ section:

How and when can I enroll in Latitudes Rewards?

To make it easy for you to receive special loyalty offers, onboard benefits and Norwegian Cruise Line news, we enroll all guests who have cruised with us and who are at least 18 years of age in our Latitudes Rewards program. No action is required on your part; your membership and rewards in this exclusive program are automatic, no membership card is needed. Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Latitudes page FAQ section:

How and when can I enroll in Latitudes Rewards?

To make it easy for you to receive special loyalty offers, onboard benefits and Norwegian Cruise Line news, we enroll all guests who have cruised with us and who are at least 18 years of age in our Latitudes Rewards program. No action is required on your part; your membership and rewards in this exclusive program are automatic, no membership card is needed. Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

Got it.

Silly me, I only checked the T&C page.

8 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

I find this confusing, as I do with many things.  Poster above indicate that points accumulated on prior sailings for minor son were credited after the completion of a cruise age 18 or older. Another poster references a change in the T&C wherein points are credited after the completion of a post 18 cruise.

I read the section of the FAQ posted above, which I assume to be accurate, and note that it states points from prior cruises “will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18.”  It does not say upon completion of the first post 18 cruise. I fully realize that latitude points are awarded upon completion of a cruise for those of us over 18, however, that’s not what this FAQ response says…..It says they will be credited on their first cruise.  Seems to me they’re Platinum (or whatever) on their first cruise, not on their second cruise, after turning 18.  Once again, the devil resides in the details and the NCL proofreaders muddled the process.  If the T&C’s were changed, they should have thought about changing the information provided in the FAQ’s.  Why needlessly confuse and upset your customers?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MCMC100 said:

I find this confusing, as I do with many things.  Poster above indicate that points accumulated on prior sailings for minor son were credited after the completion of a cruise age 18 or older. Another poster references a change in the T&C wherein points are credited after the completion of a post 18 cruise.

I read the section of the FAQ posted above, which I assume to be accurate, and note that it states points from prior cruises “will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18.”  It does not say upon completion of the first post 18 cruise. I fully realize that latitude points are awarded upon completion of a cruise for those of us over 18, however, that’s not what this FAQ response says…..It says they will be credited on their first cruise.  Seems to me they’re Platinum (or whatever) on their first cruise, not on their second cruise, after turning 18.  Once again, the devil resides in the details and the NCL proofreaders muddled the process.  If the T&C’s were changed, they should have thought about changing the information provided in the FAQ’s.  Why needlessly confuse and upset your customers?

Remember that this is written by NCL, so it will never be as clear as it could be.

Whilst they say “on their first cruise” they mean it in the same way as points for that cruise are awarded (ie soon after the cruise ends). At that point all of your cruise history should be added.

I don’t know what happens if there are any missing at that point, but as they say they will only look back a year I assume it is tough luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Remember that this is written by NCL, so it will never be as clear as it could be.

Whilst they say “on their first cruise” they mean it in the same way as points for that cruise are awarded (ie soon after the cruise ends). At that point all of your cruise history should be added.

I don’t know what happens if there are any missing at that point, but as they say they will only look back a year I assume it is tough luck.

It is indeed tough luck. If some or even all cruises would happen to be missing from the history they will not look back for more than one year. Not even if you’d have all the proof imaginable available that your now over 18 year old child sailed 20+ cruises with them starting from age 1. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

It is indeed tough luck. If some or even all cruises would happen to be missing from the history they will not look back for more than one year. Not even if you’d have all the proof imaginable available that your now over 18 year old child sailed 20+ cruises with them starting from age 1. 

That is simply not true, while it is a battle to get previous cruises added after you turn 18 it can, and is regularly done, it's right there in the Terms and Conditions that they will do it and lots of people have battled on and had it done.
Additionally, I have personally had a cruise added from 2001 (cruised as an adult), if you put in the work and present the evidence to the right person they will help, in my case as a gesture of goodwill they added 7 days which was half the points.

In my case I cruised as an adult which the T&Cs state they will only look back one year..... but they helped and looked back 18 years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MCMC100 said:

I agree with your interpretation of how it should work.

I do not agree with what you said about the quote from ColeThortnon - he says credited ON their first cruise over 18 - not AFTER.

If the child had the requisite points before this post-18 cruise, their status is awarded on cruise day #1.

Points FOR this cruise, will be added after the current cruise, as always.

3 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

I agree with your interpretation of how it should work.

I do not agree with what you said about the quote from ColeThortnon - he says credited ON their first cruise over 18 - not AFTER.

If the child had the requisite points before this post-18 cruise, their status is awarded on cruise day #1.

Points FOR this cruise, will be added after the current cruise, as always.

Taking what NCL have written literally is almost as certain a recipe for confusion and disappointment as asking one of their phone staff a question.

i only have part experience of this, as our son (who would be Sapphire) turned 18 last year. He currently has no cruise history showing.

When he does go on a cruise, that history has to be there before boarding for it to make any real difference, or at least to avoid having to queue up at the cruise next desk to get benefits added. Having the points added on day one would just cause confusion.

Logic, and reported experience, says that the points are added along with the points for the cruise just completed at the end of the cruise, whatever the T&Cs say (and I think they are fairly vague anyway).

If they were going to be added in time for the first cruise then it would be easier to set the system up to automatically add them when a latitudes account is set up after they turn 18.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:30 PM, HeroG said:

Yes, I know.  No you cannot.  The FAS and purchase specialty dining is specific to the person who took the FAS offer or bought the package.

5 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Yes, I know.  No you cannot.  The FAS and purchase specialty dining is specific to the person who took the FAS offer or bought the package.

Correct about FAS, but they also referred to platinum meals, and you can take whoever you want with you when you use those.

• Like 1

Points will be credited on first cruise once over18 but it does not say status will be given.  Having gone through this, status was not granted until after first cruise.  Second cruise after 18 she had status.

In any case, their terms when they changed the program was those with enough points would get status at 18 without having to take a trip yet they couldn't get that right.

If it helps muddy the waters my two sons (24 and 21) are both gold with 68 and 61 pts. I do not recall contacting NCL to give them their prior cruise credits upon their 18th birthday, and I know that they didn't call NCL 🙂. However, they have both cruised a few times since turning 18 so I am not certain if that triggered the latitudes program to update or if they were grandfathered in, based on the date when the program changed,  

11 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Correct about FAS, but they also referred to platinum meals, and you can take whoever you want with you when you use those.

Well  seeing as those are dinner for TWO, it wouls be hard for most people to use them alone!  Self evident that diner for TWO can be use with someone else.  Its in the name! 🙂