Are printed out check in documents required? Or is the phone document ok?

jrmende63

When I was last checking in (October 2022, Brooklyn) my printed 'boarding pass' acquired stickers and stamps. It is likely that paper documents would still be useful [or the check in folks will print a paper pass to hold the stickers].

• Thanks 1

I've just handed over my room number to the porters so they can take the luggage and then  at check in my passport. Everything is a nice to have and frankly near impossible if you are travelling before hand without access to a printer  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

I've just handed over my room number to the porters so they can take the luggage and then  at check in my passport. Everything is a nice to have and frankly near impossible if you are travelling before hand without access to a printer  

My printer died at home. So this was the reason for the question.

7 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

When I was last checking in (October 2022, Brooklyn) my printed 'boarding pass' acquired stickers and stamps. It is likely that paper documents would still be useful [or the check in folks will print a paper pass to hold the stickers].

We will be checking in at Southampton. 

Last August in Southampton the Cunard agent quickly looked at the printed document.

Interestingly Celebrity last month in Buenos Aires, despite promoting e-documents in your Apple wallet, was only interested in looking at a printed copy.

Not sure if any line is fully ready for paperless just yet.

Similar to the airlines that still hand you a paper boarding pass at the airport when checking bags even if you have it on your phone.

• Thanks 1

This is not such an issue now, because so much less documentation is needed. But, when they were restarting after Covid and needed a lot of different documentation, some of which they seemed to look at more than once, queues always seems to form behind people who had it all on their phone and couldn’t quite find the right one. Counterintuitively, people took less time to search through a sheaf of papers.

Anyway, won’t you have to print out your luggage labels, so you can do it all at the same time?

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This is not such an issue now, because so much less documentation is needed. But, when they were restarting after Covid and needed a lot of different documentation, some of which they seemed to look at more than once, queues always seems to form behind people who had it all on their phone and couldn’t quite find the right one. Counterintuitively, people took less time to search through a sheaf of papers.

Anyway, won’t you have to print out your luggage labels, so you can do it all at the same time?

I am trying my hardest to not check any luggage. So I may not need luggage labels. 
I try to do carryon only.

Edited by jrmende63

Just now, jrmende63 said:

Is there a time that cabins are ready? 

Before you are allowed on board, usually. And if you give them your luggage instead of struggling with it yourself, it is quite likely to arrive before you.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:13 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Not sure if any line is fully ready for paperless just yet.

I know that most, if not all, of the North American brands are. They do not want to see any paper - only your QR code in the app or sometimes just your passport.