Are there many lectures onboard a Celebrity ship?

Octavias

Hello!  My husband and I are going on our first cruise May of this year on the Edge in Alaska.  I was clicking around some of the entertainment and events but didn’t see any lectures or talks.  We’ve heard mention about cruises having them but don’t know if Celebrity does?  My husband is particularly interested as learning new stuff is a favorite pastime of his.  Thank you for any insight. 

4 hours ago, Octavias said:

Hello!  My husband and I are going on our first cruise May of this year on the Edge in Alaska.  I was clicking around some of the entertainment and events but didn’t see any lectures or talks.  We’ve heard mention about cruises having them but don’t know if Celebrity does?  My husband is particularly interested as learning new stuff is a favorite pastime of his.  Thank you for any insight. 

on the whole the Beyond the Podium programme runs on sea days - the more seas you have the greater the variety of talks on offer and the greater depth the Speaker can go into a subject. This is one reason we like Transatlantics as there are general 2 regular events every morning plus specials.

• Like 1

@Octavias:  Even though we live in Alaska we have done a dozen or so Alaska itineraries.  When in Alaska waters every Celebrity ship we have been on has had a naturalist onboard.  In addition to presentations in the theater on topics such as whales or bears, the naturalist provides narration during visits to glaciers.  Do not expect announcements from the bridge when whales are spotted in the distance.  On both S- and M-class ships during the day they frequently have been in the Sky Lounge set up with spotting scopes and so forth so that passengers can approach them with questions or comments.

Last fall we spent 40 nights on the Edge.  During a Zenith luncheon I had a conversation with one of the stripes as to where on the Edge they can provide such a venue.  I hope you report back on Cruise Critic as to your opinions as to how suitable this ship is for an Alaska itinerary.

• Like 1

We were just on the Constellation 3 back to back 12 5 12. No lectures on the first 2 cruises. On the last 12 date cruise there were lectures every sea day. We attended all and they were well attended.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 10:24 AM, Octavias said:

We had our first guest lecturer last week in over 10 years in the Caribbean. He was excellent and did 4 presentations.   Much depends on the itinerary.  Alaska will usually have a naturalist who point out what is happening outside of the ship i.e. whales, eagles, glaciers, etc.  Don't expect a lecturer in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

On the Beyond last January (Caribbean) there was a man who gave several lectures about outer space. They replayed them on the cabin TVs and they were interesting!

Edited by TripLLLe
  • Like 1