Norwegian Getaway Alcohol Questions

pullen0

I recently booked the Getaway for December and upgraded to the Premium Plus package.  This will be our first Norwegian cruise and our first time doing a drinks package.  

In the main dining rooms, will they do a wine pairing of sorts with each course or will you have to order with each course?  

I'm a novice when it comes to whiskey so I'm wanting to try as many as possible.  There are no bars listed on the website as specifically whiskey bars.  What are the best bars on ship to try the premium whiskeys included in the premium plus package?

I'm assuming you use your room key to get drinks on Norwegian?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, pullen0 said:

In the main dining rooms, will they do a wine pairing of sorts with each course or will you have to order with each course?  

You can ask when you are seated and first order drinks. If it is busy, they might bring two different wines out for you at the start of the meal and you can pace your pairings accordingly. Or, when someone comes to your table to refill drinks during the meal, ask for a different wine for the remainder of your meal.

I'm a novice when it comes to whiskey so I'm wanting to try as many as possible.  There are no bars listed on the website as specifically whiskey bars.  What are the best bars on ship to try the premium whiskeys included in the premium plus package?

You are correct. There is not a designated whiskey bar on the Getaway. Most bars should carry whiskey, but some will be much better than others. You will want to avoid ordering whiskeys at the pool bars, since they will serve you in plastic cups. IMHO, whiskey doesn't taste as good in a plastic cup. You will also want to avoid ordering whiskeys at the Sugarcane Mojito bar, since they are stocked more for rum drinks. The Atrium Bar and the bars near Cagney's and the MDRs should have decent selections, though they do get busy at certain times of day.

I'm assuming you use your room key to get drinks on Norwegian?

Yes. Premium Plus will be printed on your stateroom card so all bartenders and servers will be able to see at a glance that you have the package.

• Like 1

The sunset bar is the whisky bar, deck 8.  They have plenty of good choices with the premium package.  I drink my fair share of Macallan.  Whistle Pig, Glenlivet, woodford, JW also available.  Unfortunately, JW blue is usually only available in the Haven Bar .  Hennessy XO is there to, if you're a cognac fan

Edited by dbrown84
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Personally, we had the premium plus on Prima a couple of weeks ago.

the standard whiskey was jack daniels black and the premium was woodford reserve.  I'll not pay extra for the premium plus again.

The premium plus on the website lists 2 different McCallans, Glenlivet, Old Forester, Hennessy XO, and several others.  Some are noted as being in whiskey bars, and Johhnie Blue is in Haven.  I'm definitely expecting to find some of these onboard somewhere.  LOL

3 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

The sunset bar is the whisky bar, deck 8.  They have plenty of good choices with the premium package.  I drink my fair share of Macallan.  Whistle Pig, Glenlivet, woodford, JW also available.  Unfortunately, JW blue is usually only available in the Haven Bar .  Hennessy XO is there to, if you're a cognac fan

I was replying to RocketMan275 before seeing your post.  Thank you for this information.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pullen0 said:

The premium plus on the website lists 2 different McCallans, Glenlivet, Old Forester, Hennessy XO, and several others.  Some are noted as being in whiskey bars, and Johhnie Blue is in Haven.  I'm definitely expecting to find some of these onboard somewhere.  LOL

actually, 3 different macallans.  i'd go with the enigma since you have the upgraded package.  BTW, if you happen to be a cigar smoker, the cigar lounge is right there with the whiskey bar and the servers are usually good and attentive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

actually, 3 different macallans.  i'd go with the enigma since you have the upgraded package.  BTW, if you happen to be a cigar smoker, the cigar lounge is right there with the whiskey bar and the servers are usually good and attentive.

I tried 12, 15, and 18 year Macallans at Epcot several years ago and couldn't finish them.  I'm developing a palette for whiskey now.  Before I spend a lot on a bottle, I want to try them first. I appreciate the information.  

3 minutes ago, pullen0 said:

I tried 12, 15, and 18 year Macallans at Epcot several years ago and couldn't finish them.  I'm developing a palette for whiskey now.  Before I spend a lot on a bottle, I want to try them first. I appreciate the information.  

you'll have a nice time.  that's the great part about upgrading the drink package.  It's a great time to try new stuff before buying a bottle at home.  Just so you know, they have the macallan terra, quest, and enigma.  Not the year marked bottles

• Like 1

Just now, dbrown84 said:

you'll have a nice time.  that's the great part about upgrading the drink package.  It's a great time to try new stuff before buying a bottle at home.  Just so you know, they have the macallan terra, quest, and enigma.  Not the year marked bottles

I'll definitely give them a try!

35 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Personally, we had the premium plus on Prima a couple of weeks ago.

the standard whiskey was jack daniels black and the premium was woodford reserve.  I'll not pay extra for the premium plus again.

No Blanton's or EH Taylor?

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you only want to sample then why not just pay the difference on a glass or two?  Far cheaper than the upsell to the plus package.

We decided the premium plus package was worth it as we get the drink upgrade, 2 extra specialty dinners, $200 extra excursion credits, unlimited wifi,  Starbucks package and bottled water.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pullen0 said:

We decided the premium plus package was worth it as we get the drink upgrade, 2 extra specialty dinners, $200 extra excursion credits, unlimited wifi,  Starbucks package and bottled water.  

We purchased that package on Prima earlier this month.  We've decided it wasn't worth. YMMV.  We don't do excursions. We don't need bottled water.  I did a couple of starbucks.  The unlimited wifi was useful.  We regretted the two extra specialty dinners since we booked the Haven.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I asked for their premium whiskey and they suggest Woodford which was fine.

ahhh, sounds like you got screwed.  did you go to the whiskey bar?  the other bars will have a limited selection

2 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

ahhh, sounds like you got screwed.  did you go to the whiskey bar?  the other bars will have a limited selection

I didn't think it worth the trouble when I could get woodford in the Haven bar.  I used to be  a big scotch drinker but for some reason I've lost the taste for scotch.  Only drink bourbon or tennessee whiskey now.

• Like 1

Glad you are interested in trying all the whisk(e)ys because premium plus is not worth it for the wine. You should go to the wine bar and taste the bottles available with dinner and find one you like to order with your meals but if you want good wine you will need to bring your own. 

15 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you only want to sample then why not just pay the difference on a glass or two?  Far cheaper than the upsell to the plus package.

A double of Whistle Pig Is $84.00 as are some of the others. I believe XO was $120.00 if I remember correctly.

Just a couple of those pays for the whole week.😎

Yikes!  Whistle Pig $84 for a double.  I hope it was one of their more expensive bottles.  I can buy the 6 year at total wine for $49 and Farmstock for $79. I also don't consider Woodford Reserve as a bourbon I would upgrade for.