Review of Celebrity Ascent 2-18 to 2-25

keesar

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

keesar was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just back from a 7 day cruise on the Ascent.  Would be happy to answer any questions if I can.  We sailed in Aqua Class as we typically do.  Overall, it was an exceptional cruise.

Highlights

- our cruise director, Luigi, was outstanding.  Tops in our opinion.  High energy and approachable.  Great dance instructor as his classes were popular and fun.

- Ascent is a beautiful and very clean ship

- food and service in Blu was exceptional.  Outstanding and friendly management  team and staff.

- entertainment (music and shows) was excellent

- very short waits for bar service

- loved our Captain (Dimitrios Kafetzis) as he did no self-promoting and gave accolades to the crew

-  we had great meals at Eden Specialty, Rooftop Garden and Le Grand Bistro. 

-  very good lunches at Eden 

-  live music took place at several locations at the same time around the ship

-  we had a Beyond the Podium speaker (space expert Kelly Beatty) who was excellent. Besides the 4 lectures, he set up his  telescope  to view the sun and moon..

-  the show at the martini bar is not to be missed

-  excellent Guest Relations team.  Issues were quickly resolved.

Lowlights

- lunch at the OceanView open boarding and sea days was a zoo. Think Animal House.  People cutting in line, refusing to share tables, using fingers to take food.  Servers told me that the last time they saw people behaving like this was in December.   Average  to good quality foods with plenty of variety. Seating very difficult to locate on these days.

Surprises

- The burgers in the Mast Grill were surprisingly good as were the hot dogs.  The staff working there were upbeat and smiling unlike my experiences on the Beyond. 

- no fee for gelato

- staff in Blu and our stateroom attendant addressed us by name after day 1

- the common areas in the ship were cool.  I wish I had brought some long sleeved clothing.

An  excellent cruise with a great crew.

Edited by keesar
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 39august said:

No fee for gelato?

No fee for gelato.  However, there were very few flavors to choose from each day.  The ice cream was creamy and I never had any ice crystals;  

I did not mention that the OceanView had a chilled fruit soup each day for lunch.  Pear, apricot, banana, and peach.  

7 hours ago, Cooper122 said:

Is there a sauna that can be used by all without spa access? 

No. None of the E-Class ships have a complementary sauna. Only M & S class ships have complementary single sex saunas. 

Edited by kwokpot

In the Persian Gardens, there are 16 heated chairs and I never had to wait for one. No sauna outside of that area.

The Activities Team was outstanding.  They seemed to be working nonstop.  They did a great job on the late night Shine Night by the pool.  Real big turnout.

We are sailing in April and was wondering if you could elaborate on the shows. Last year on the Edge, I loved the Book (saw it twice).  

Thanks 

1 hour ago, dst said:

We are sailing in April and was wondering if you could elaborate on the shows. Last year on the Edge, I loved the Book (saw it twice).  

Thanks 

There were 3 production shows in the Main Theater.  They were Bridges, Awaken and Residency.  These featured the singers, dancers, acrobats and the Celebrity Orchestra.  There was a comedian, a tribute singer to Elton John, and a female singing songs from Broadway.  All were very talented.  

There was also a couple of theater groups who performed out of Eden in the evening.  These shows were  in the evening with some being late night..

I must say the entertainment was excellent and there was plenty of  live music everywhere on the ship.

Enjoy!

Just now, keesar said:

There were 3 production shows in the Main Theater.  They were Bridges, Awaken and Residency.  These featured the singers, dancers, acrobats and the Celebrity Orchestra.  There was a comedian, a tribute singer to Elton John, and a female singing songs from Broadway.  All were very talented.  

There was also a couple of theater groups who performed out of Eden in the evening.  These shows were  in the evening with some being late night..

I must say the entertainment was excellent and there was plenty of  live music everywhere on the ship.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much - this is very helpful

13 minutes ago, dst said:

Thanks so much - this is very helpful

The big production shows occurred on days 3,5, and 7. at 7:30 and 9:30.  Get there  early as these are new shows on a new ship.

• Thanks 1

We really liked BRIDGES..but  found Awaken was too loud with bright light..we had to leave..to avoid sensory issues!

20240202_185827.jpg

20240202_200449.jpg

20240202_201157.jpg

Edited by hcat