Space in the mini-suite seating area on Discovery Princess?

TomKwuze

Hi everyone.

I'm going to be the third person in a mini-suite (MA) on Discovery Princess. I know the sofa folds out to become a bed, but it's not something I want to use.

Ideally I'd like to bring my twin air mattress, which I know is comfortable, and use it in that section. However, that area looks like it might be too small.

OYL5fR2.png

The area between the sofa and table. Looking at the screenshot from a video I found online, I'm not sure if I could fit the mattress in there (width-wise - I'm sure length will be fine).

This might be a silly question, but does anyone know what the dimensions might be in that area? I know layouts can vary from room to room, but a rough idea would really help a lot.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, TomKwuze said:

Hi everyone.

I'm going to be the third person in a mini-suite (MA) on Discovery Princess. I know the sofa folds out to become a bed, but it's not something I want to use.

Ideally I'd like to bring my twin air mattress, which I know is comfortable, and use it in that section. However, that area looks like it might be too small.

OYL5fR2.png

The area between the sofa and table. Looking at the screenshot from a video I found online, I'm not sure if I could fit the mattress in there (width-wise - I'm sure length will be fine).

This might be a silly question, but does anyone know what the dimensions might be in that area? I know layouts can vary from room to room, but a rough idea would really help a lot.

Thanks!

We were just in a mini suite on Discovery over New Year’s and our adult son was in the room with us. He used the sofa bed which our room steward pulled out and made up each evening. I certainly don’t know the exact dimensions, but based on the size of the space I think you could make it work. It may take up the whole space, but so does the sofa bed when it’s pulled out. So you should be ok. 

10 minutes ago, TomKwuze said:

Hi everyone.

OYL5fR2.png

Thanks!

Princess removed the barrel chairs fleetwide, so you won't have to contend with that. The desk chair can be moved to the empty space under the TV. and you will have room for your twin air mattress. With that said, the sofa bed folds out sideways and forms a twin. The one we had on the Regal was actually more comfortable than the main bed.

I would bring the air mattress but try out the sofa bed first. If it isn't comfortable, use the air mattress.

Happy cruising!

• Like 2

I think for some with the sofa beds it’s not so much the space, but comfort of the mattress. Both my adult kids have used them in rooms with us, and both have found them somewhat less than comfortable. If you use the sofa bed, you can ask your room steward for a foam cushion or extra comforter for more padding which my kids found improved the comfort for them. 

4 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

I think for some with the sofa beds it’s not so much the space, but comfort of the mattress. Both my adult kids have used them in rooms with us, and both have found them somewhat less than comfortable. If you use the sofa bed, you can ask your room steward for a foam cushion or extra comforter for more padding which my kids found improved the comfort for them. 

I think it depends upon how long the mattress has been in service. Our recent cruise on the Island featured worn out mattresses. I padded the dip with bath towels, but I was never comfortable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teechur said:

I would bring the air mattress but try out the sofa bed first. If it isn't comfortable, use the air mattress.

I think this is what I might do.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! :)

• Like 1

It's actually the sofa and desk I'm worried about. Presumably the desk is stuck to the wall, and the sofa is too big to be moved elsewhere. If I could move either of those, that would definitely free up the space :)

5 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Just a thought. If you use a foot pump to pump up the mattress not a problem. If you have an electric pump that could be an issue. 

Darn. I have an electric pump!

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

20231021_134004_DxO.jpg

Photos like this make me think I can fit a mattress and more. I'm not sure if it's the angle or if it's actually spacious. It's so hard to tell! Thanks for sharing :)

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Why not just sleep on the unopened sofa?  Looks about the same width as the space between the sofa and desk.  

It does look like the same width. Good observation. As for why not sleep on the unopened sofa, I've seen people jump on them with shoes on. I'm not much of a germophobe but things like that do get to me. I can't do it.

2 hours ago, GoDucksNation said:

I believe the sofa bed opens more like a futon than what a traditional sofa does. And in that case should be wide enough for a twin mattress. Our older son slept on it on the Royal and was fine.

I just looked up a video on YouTube and you're right, it opens more like a futon. Interesting! Thanks!

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We know a man who took an air mattress on a Panama Canal cruise and he slept on the balcony every night. He loved it.

If the weather's nice enough, I just might 😉

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You could ask your steward to place bedding down on the unopened sofa.  Please do report back what you actually ended up doing. 

Also a good idea! I've been on cruises in the past but generally don't ask the steward's for anything so it never even occurred to me. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I just wanted to report back, especially for anyone stumbling onto this thread with a similar question.

I decided to leave the air mattress at home and instead use a cot I own that I have also always found adequate (this one + this liner + a blanket and pillow). It measures 73" long, 27" wide and 15 to 20" high (head is higher than feet). As you can see from the photo below, there's ample space around it.

Could that area fit a twin air mattress? I think it might be possible. Unfortunately I forgot to bring a ruler or measuring tape to check definitely, but this cot option definitely works for anyone that might have similar requirements.

The only thing worth noting is I used up an entire luggage to store the mattress pad, blanket and pillow, so if you need your bags, this might not be the best option for you.

I also decided to check in the cot itself to make things easier for me (it's big!), but I think they might've let me carry it on too since I had it over my shoulder.

Hope that helps someone :)

aJIYAPc.jpeg

Edited by TomKwuze

@TomKwuze Thank you for returning to your thread with an update.  Your photo was very helpful.  

But, out of curiosity, did you even try the sleeper sofa (unfolded or converted)?

Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

40 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

But, out of curiosity, did you even try the sleeper sofa (unfolded or converted)?

I didn't try it. In hindsight I should have, but it didn't even occur to me after seeing my cot worked well :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomKwuze said:

I didn't try it. In hindsight I should have, but it didn't even occur to me after seeing my cot worked well 🙂

Just so that we are all on the same page here, there are numerous references to the term "pull out bed" or "fold out bed".  That is what the older ships had, and the spring mattress did in fact come out of the sofa with the head of the bed at the wall, and the foot of the bed toward the desk, with little room in between.  Those looked like this:

Island Princess minisuite for 3 people - Princess Cruises - Cruise Critic  Community

But the newer ships (Royal Class) have a different sofa bed in the Mini Suites.  It does not fold out at all.  It converts to a bed with the head at the night stand next to the main bed, and the foot at the slider that leads to the balcony.  It is parallel to the wall rather than folding out from the wall.  This is a photo from Sky Princess but Discovery would be the same.  The mattresses on these sofa beds are a world apart from the spring contraptions on the older ships, do not jab you in the back in any odd way, and are as comfortable as the main mattress.  They are just a not as wide as the old fold-outs. 

3FCD38FC-626F-4607-AABD-57E580497588.thumb.jpeg.34eabf2316573f20da46d14e2d5bf9e0.jpeg

• Like 2