LAFFNVEGAS Live from Windstar Wind Surf March 2, 2024

Thanks for the continuing thread and this last report.

(1) Do you find the Barbados airport better organized than SXM?

(2) Not to quibble, but I couldn't interpret this:  "MIA airport ... the lines were so long they sent a bunch of us into the main terminal but since had TSA pre check we left caked out not doing it like they normally do.   Normally coming in from an International location you do not get to use your TSA Precheck."

Does this mean that you did get to use TSA Pre as an arriving passenger?  We have Global Entry and usually find that facial recognition speeds us straight through the immigration and customs process when returning on an international flight.

(3) We are booked on our first Windstar cruise next January (Star Pride).  Looking at their itineraries I see that Wind Surf and Star Pride seem to share the Caribbean.  Have you sailed on Star Pride, and if so how do you compare it to Wind Surf?  [I'm thinking we would need a Suite on Surf, because the Staterooms (188sf) look very cramped.  We are in a Balcony on Pride (277sf)]

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

(2) Not to quibble, but I couldn't interpret this:  "MIA airport ... the lines were so long they sent a bunch of us into the main terminal but since had TSA pre check we left caked out not doing it like they normally do.   Normally coming in from an International location you do not get to use your TSA Precheck."

Does this mean that you did get to use TSA Pre as an arriving passenger?  We have Global Entry and usually find that facial recognition speeds us straight through the immigration and customs process when returning on an international flight.

(3) We are booked on our first Windstar cruise next January (Star Pride).  Looking at their itineraries I see that Wind Surf and Star Pride seem to share the Caribbean.  Have you sailed on Star Pride, and if so how do you compare it to Wind Surf?  [I'm thinking we would need a Suite on Surf, because the Staterooms (188sf) look very cramped.  We are in a Balcony on Pride (277sf)]

We love the Surf, the rooms are 188 sq feet, very well thought out, storage, easy access, etc. We are neat people who travel lightly, only carry on, so the storage is great for us with left over, even the small but compact bathroom, very well organized.

We love the Star Pride too, with the motor yachts we always get a balcony even though they are very small, one person standing. We love the old layout, walk in to bedroom and the living area has the balcony. We love fresh air but not directly on us like when we took her to Greenland. Despite the weather in the afternoon would sit by the balcony with the doors open, glorious. Again lovely bathroom and great storage. 

A difference in both ships is the tendering easier on the Pride with a more protected platform, than the Surf. If getting on and off in a tender is  physically difficult then the Pride  but I must say the crew is extremely helpful and safety conscious on both. 

However, I do think the Caribbean screams sails, our prejudice,  the sail aways,dinner outside at Candles under the sails going out of the harbors,  the huge decks where can find alone space even when the ship is full, finding shade is easy, we love the deck life. Nothing like it.

Have a great first journey and  I hope  you get hooked, we have been hooked on Wind Star since 1999. Happy Sailing.

• Like 3

We love the motor yachts.  Sailed them all when they were part of Seabourn.  I always say they are the best deal on the seas.  A suite for an oceanview price.  That said, we are going back to the Wind Surf for 55 nights and looking forward to it.  There is something about sailing in the Caribbean.

• Like 2

Lisa, just wanted to take time to thank you for taking us all along with you and Tom.  I always enjoy your travel threads, because they are fun to follow.  Enjoy your next NCL cruise.  Neil

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 7:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Let me try to answer your question, 1. I cannot compare Barbados airport to SXM since I have never flown into Barbados, But over all the St Maarten airport is a bit disorganized I think. We flew American airlines and there were no signs to where the American Airlines check in counter was till about 2 hours prior to checking in and no sign priority but it ended up there was but no signage of having it. 

2. I agree I have never ever been able to use our TSA check in when coming in from another country with the exception of flying in from Canada. Although I have heard you also can do it in Ireland but the MIA airport was crazy busy with lots of delays. After claiming our luggage from the St Maarten to MIA flight we dropped off our luggage to check back in, that was easy but then we have to go through TSA and no there is no TSA Precheck but the lines was so long that it appeared was taking well over an hour and one of the TSA people came up to the people just in front of us and said the rest of you go through this other gate 4 into the main terminal and go through TSA through the main terminal. So we did, we went down to TSA Precheck 1  near all the American Priority check in counters and totally by passed  the very long line of regular TSA. We got very lucky.

3. We have not sailed on Star Pride so I cannot compare but we are suite cruisers, . On Holland America we usually have a Neptune Suite or a Signature Suite, Or we sail NCL in the Haven, for this cruise we were in a category AX forward deck 2. No balcony but oddly we did not miss not having a balcony and the stateroom was actually roomy with so much space we did not use it all. The bathroom also was nicely laid out. The shower was fantastic with instant hot water, great shower head and the most water pressure I have ever felt on a ship. Possibly more than my home shower. We booked again to cruise on Wind Surf for September 2025 for same category.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

After claiming our luggage from the St Maarten to MIA flight we dropped off our luggage to check back in, that was easy but then we have to go through TSA and no there is no TSA Precheck but the lines was so long that it appeared was taking well over an hour and one of the TSA people came up to the people just in front of us and said the rest of you go through this other gate 4 into the main terminal and go through TSA through the main terminal. So we did, we went down to TSA Precheck 1  near all the American Priority check in counters and totally by passed  the very long line of regular TSA. We got very lucky.

Now I understand, thanks.  This is helpful because on a different itinerary we will be coming back from LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica) and the choices are non-stop on JetBlue or change in Miami on American.  This makes it clear that the non-stop flight is the best choice!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 7:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

What I like best about Wind Surf is the excellent deck space. That's an advantage over the Star ships which have good deck space but not as much as on Wind Surf. Of course, when it goes under sail with no motors, that's magical - though on many cruises it doesn't have the right conditions to do that. 

I don't find the cabins on Wind Surf cramped. My husband and I weren't having difficulty running into each other while getting ready to go out. But for a long cruise, it is nice having the sitting area in the room that the Star ships have. So, for 15 days or longer, I'd lean more heavily toward a Star ship. A suite on Wind Surf would also do that, but you still have port holes instead of a window. 

I slightly prefer the Ocean View rooms on the Star ships over the Balcony rooms, especially since the refit. The balcony windows have frames around the doors that get in the way of the view. I think the old door frames weren't as thick. I like the nice uninterrupted view from the Ocean View windows. 

• Thanks 1