For those who have dined in Butcher Block by Daria (Sun Princess)

Posted (edited)

Hello.  Was it served "family style" or can you eat with just your group or spouse?  The reason I ask is because I know that in Italy, they liked to eat their beef almost raw....and I'd prefer mine medium to almost well and probably can't ask for this if it's "family style".

Would love to hear back......

Thank you.

Edited by MudderBear
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Hello.  Was it served "family style" or can you eat with just your group or spouse?  The reason I ask is because I know that in Italy, they liked to eat their beef almost raw....and I'd prefer mine medium to almost well and probably can't ask for this if it's "family style".

Thank you.

They always ask how you would like your steak, in CG, MDR, CT, WMD, UBD etc.  This venue should not be different.  Let’s hope!

9 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Thank you.

I was interested too. Saw photos on fb. Looks amazing. Too much meat!  3 couples at table, I believe she said. Waiters serve. The wine and water sits on table. 
dides?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Thank you.

From Princess:

The Butcher’s Block by Dario, located on deck 9 of the new Sun Princess, comes to life as a specialty impromptu experience featuring a large shared, family-style table serving up a carnivore’s paradise. This specialty dining experience promises to grill up perfectly prepared beef and steak, including Cecchini’s signature cuts.

Hard to know how they will handle the taste of different folks. We like Medium Rare, some like Rare, some like Cooked to Death. I knew one person who liked to tell them to just "wave it over the flame". Surely they must have some method of dealing with the different tastes.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Up until this 1st sailing there has been nothing available on the Princess Answers (the place where Princess representatives and travel agents go to find answers to your questions) about The Butcher’s Block Restaurant, other than family style and high end meat being served.  I’m sure that I wasn’t the only one who was leery to make a reservation without knowing all the specifics.  Here is the scoop:

The far aft end of The Eatery is transformed into two of the specialty dining venues each evening.  The Butcher’s Block on the port side, and The Catch on the starboard side.  Here is what the Butcher’s Block area looks like:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.2ad322e0761b92196ac227a526c198fe.jpeg

The original description said the experience was going to be one long communal table being served family style.  That has changed to a multitude of tables, where passengers will be “sharing” tables, in order to maximize the space available.  Waiters and a butcher will then come around, presenting the various courses of platters of food, from which you would select your choices.  Here is the menu:

IMG_0833.thumb.jpeg.a92ec86d3df671999dc0af8f1fd2f066.jpeg

In the picture below, the platters on the right are the beef tartare, the platters on the left are the rump roast carpaccio.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.3f42b96f0d2bae7f2fb667b70795ae0f.jpeg

The main course consists of 3 types of steak, which the butcher will explain and carve based on your choice(s).  They can be see in the photo below in the “raw state”.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.3800b1cebbabc9c3e5933da90773e1a6.jpeg

You can see on the menu, there are also sides to choose from, other items like bread, a salad, etc.  You also get a desert and complimentary red wine.

This looks like a unique and good deal for carnivore passengers.  The manager said it is being very well received so far, and everyone has been leaving “fully” satisfied.  Sorry for the pun!

On 3/1/2024 at 12:26 PM, MudderBear said:

Thank you.

On the primary Sun Princess thread Butcher Block is being discussed with helpful info from ‘cruisedoctor’.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Astro Flyer:  Wow!  Thank you very, very much for your response.   Exactly what I was hoping for.  

Thank you!!!!!

You’re very welcome…’cruisedoctor’ provides great details & Butcher’s Block appears to be a wonderful meal at $45 including a glass of wine. Being a pop up location in the aft area of the buffet’s seating area the location might not be the best & hope it’ll be available on other ships. The Catch by Rudi is the other pop up restaurant on Sun which is available as a stand alone restaurant in the Piazza on a few ships. That is getting rave reviews & I’m looking forward to dining there on Discovery next month & even pre-purchased it to ensure our preferred date & time. 😋

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

The Catch by Rudi is the other pop up restaurant on Sun which is available as a stand alone restaurant in the Piazza on a few ships. That is getting rave reviews & I’m looking forward to dining there on Discovery next month & even pre-purchased it to ensure our preferred date & time. 😋

On our recent Med/TA, 26-day cruise on the Enchanted we dined at "The Catch" five times.  It was by far the best meals we have had on a ship in a VERY long time!

While you are enjoying "The Catch" on the Discovery, we will be doing the same on the Majestic!  Have a great cruise!  🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

On our recent Med/TA, 26-day cruise on the Enchanted we dined at "The Catch" five times.  It was by far the best meals we have had on a ship in a VERY long time!

While you are enjoying "The Catch" on the Discovery, we will be doing the same on the Majestic!  Have a great cruise!  🙂

Thanks for sharing your well cruised opinion about The Catch & we’re eager to enjoy dining there next month. I’ve read posts from those who cruise on luxury lines who rave that The Catch was as good or even better. Any particular recommendations?

Reading about dining changes since Rudi moved over from HAL, I’m encourage for more improved dining experiences. Since Alfredo Marzi retired I’ve been disappointed in some of the dining changes even pre-pandemic but it appears that Rudi is improving dining. We have no plans to sail on Sun/Star however some of the new dining options could result in trying those ships in the future.

Checking Majestic’s April cruises you might be sailing Australia & the South Pacific…in 2009 we greatly enjoyed sailing 30 days from Sydney to LA on Star. Next March we’ll circumnavigate Oz & cruise back from Auckland. Have a great cruise on Majestic! 😊

Edited by Astro Flyer

@Astro Flyer  We tried several different items from the menu.  Our favorites were the Nicoise Salad (photo below), Grilled Swordfish,  Crab Cakes, Dover Sole (5 stars!), and the Mussels.  The Nicoise Salad is almost a meal in itself. 

Also, the Profiteroles (called something else on the menu) was by far the best dessert (photo below).  You can get them filled with Vanilla gelato or Chantilly cream.

We will be on the Majestic, 33-days, Sydney to Seattle embarking on April 10th.

20231206_193714.thumb.jpg.00004a372004c57c3edd05832e01a616.jpg

20231115_202757.thumb.jpg.c0cf52c55b669281f0f77ec6c9a2a29c.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We will be on the Majestic, 33-days, Sydney to Seattle embarking on April 10th.

Thanks for sharing the food options…after 5 meals at Catch you have researched the menu quite well. 😊

Have a great cruise…ours was one of our favorite cruises! 😃

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We ate there twice and have it reserved twice for our April Enchanted sailing.  Actually contemplating a 3rd time there.  It was just amazing.  Couldn't agree with you more @LACruiser88

@Astro Flyer you will certainly love your meal there. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, kangelop said:

Circling back to Butcher Block by Daria--I am wondering if I should have just booked the Crown Grill instead. Any strong opinions?

Indeed.  What's supposed to be the difference between CG and BB?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, esstheman said:

Indeed.  What's supposed to be the difference between CG and BB?

@esstheman  According to the fine print on the bottom of the Butcher’s Block Menu:  “The meat I serve is raised on my behalf in Caalunya (Spain).”  I’m having dinner tomorrow in Crown Grill, so I will find out if anything on their menu comes from that same special source.  I’m guessing not, unless that item would be at a “extra cost”.

@esstheman 

I received a question as to whether there is a difference between The Crown Grill and The Butcher’s Block, since Princess put out a news release last October insinuating that Dario was revamping the Crown Grill’s menu.  I had dinner in the Crown Grill this evening, and spoke with the venue manager about this.

Here is the Princess release from last October;  In addition, the cruise line’s signature steakhouse, Crown Grill, will feature a refined upscale menu designed by Cecchini. The menu proudly features the highly coveted "Bistecca Alla Fiorentina," a distinctive Florentine Steak prepared with the bone, sourced directly from the prestigious Antica Macelleria Cecchini butcher shop in Panzano.

I was told that the menu in the Crown Grill has not changed, and is similar to its counterparts on the rest of the fleet.  What has changed on the Sun, is the experiential “Chef’s Dinner” within the Crown Grill.  On the Sun, it will be called “Chef’s Dinner By Dario” and it will include his special cuts of meat, similar to that served in the Butcher’s Block.  

In other words, in order to dine on Dario’s special cuts of meat, you need to dine in the Butcher’s Block, OR sign up for the experiential “Chef’s Dinner By Dario” offered a few time per sailing in the Crown Grill.  This hasn’t been offered on the first sailing, and he didn’t know what the price would be yet.

• Thanks 1