Icon of the Seas Smell

Has anyone experienced a foul smell onboard Icon of the Seas?

I've read a few reports on Facebook saying it's bad in the elevator areas and on deck, in the adult area at the back of the ship in particular.
Posters on FB saying it is a sewage smell. Quite a few comments say it's the type of fuel being burned, and if that is true, it seems unlikely there's an easy fix to the problem.

Trying to determine if it's a genuine issue or just a couple of people with sensitive noses, you know what Facebook is like!

I have a day bed booked next month - at $300, it sounds like if it's a common problem then I might want to rethink that.

Posted (edited)

There was a similar complaint on one of Carnival's ships, when new. We never smelled anything as bad as posters implied and what we did smell wasn't prevalent all over.

My spin is that if it's just one poster on FB, ignore it. But follow @SE fla's advice and ditch the bed.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 2

Solid Waste to Energy at Sea
The systems, Microwave-Assisted Pyrolysis (MAP) and Micro Auto Gasification (MAG), debuting respectively on Royal Caribbean International's Icon of the Seas and Silversea Cruises' Silver Nova, will take waste on board and convert it into synthesis gas (syngas) that the ship can directly use as energy. Much like land-based waste-to-energy facilities, the result is repurposing waste in an efficient and sustainable way. An additional bioproduct of the system, biochar, can also be used as a soil nutrient.

While LNG vapors have no odor or color, if an LNG release occurs, LNG's low temperature would cause water vapor to condense in the air and form a visible white cloud that would be readily apparent.

23 hours ago, davidrlewis2302 said:

Has anyone experienced a foul smell onboard Icon of the Seas?

I've read a few reports on Facebook saying it's bad in the elevator areas and on deck, in the adult area at the back of the ship in particular.
Posters on FB saying it is a sewage smell. Quite a few comments say it's the type of fuel being burned, and if that is true, it seems unlikely there's an easy fix to the problem.

Trying to determine if it's a genuine issue or just a couple of people with sensitive noses, you know what Facebook is like!

I have a day bed booked next month - at $300, it sounds like if it's a common problem then I might want to rethink that.

Where is the bed and probably, you'll be so far away from the ship to smell anything but clear Caribbean Sea.

I seem to recall that Celebrity Edge had a sewage order on its first few sailings in the shops area of all places.  But they figured it out and fixed it.

19 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Well, if you propagate this rumour enough, maybe Icon prices will be more reasonable. 🙂

No, they will just raise the prices on the day beds that do not have an aroma. First rule of Royal: do everything to resist lowering any price unless absolutely necessary.

If fact, raise the prices and then take them back to where they were and called it a "discount."

Problem solved.

NEXT!

• Like 2