Gratuities at Specialty Restaurants

4 minutes ago, Cruzin with BQ & CQ said:

Well it had been in the past, but we have not sailed Princess for a couple of years. Would normally leave additional gratuities, so just wondering 

I'm of the frame of mind in recalling last cruise in December that a 18% was included in the cost of specialty dining venues. 

• Like 2

The way I understand it is that an 18% tip is automatically added in. If you want to include extra, go ahead. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cruzin with BQ & CQ said:

We leave on Enchanted tomorrow. We pre booked specialty restaurants ahead of sailing. Are gratuities included or is it charged above  what we already paid? Thanks folks!

Our 18% showed up on our folio after dinner.  It used to be baked into the SD price.  Now it is shown as a separate charge on the folio.  We purchased the SD ahead of time.  So, not going to tip again on that meal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

In January we did not have to pay the 18% we sail again in April so we will see. 

Yours wasn’t shown on the folio as a service charge/gratuity?

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

In January we did not have to pay the 18% we sail again in April so we will see. 

Huh GIF - Huh - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Nope. Now it may have been because our server was someone we have known for several years

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

We were just on a B2B on the Sapphire in a suite which entitled us to a SD at the beginning of each leg and there was no service charge /gratuities added to our Folio. But then again 18% of nothing is nothing. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We were just on a B2B on the Sapphire in a suite which entitled us to a SD at the beginning of each leg and there was no service charge /gratuities added to our Folio. But then again 18% of nothing is nothing. 

Consistency, I guess.

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

being that you were in a suite, and it was complimentary, I can see this happening. I dare ya to do it again and return to the same venue another night to see what happens 😄

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, c-boy said:

being that you were in a suite, and it was complimentary, I can see this happening. I dare ya to do it again and return to the same venue another night to see what happens 😄

Nope! That would mean we would miss all that great food and service in the Reserve DR. No way are we giving that up! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cruzin with BQ & CQ said:

Well it sounds like I’ll need to ask. Did not want to leave an additional tip to have it show up on the folio later on…

Good idea.  That’s what I’m doing on our next cruise.

The dine line will know. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cruzin with BQ & CQ said:

Well it sounds like I’ll need to ask. Did not want to leave an additional tip to have it show up on the folio later on…

The old way included a top baked in.  The new way is to add and show the 18%.  Either way, no need for you to tip extra.

I think what is happening is those that booked SD before the change and before their voyage are not being charged the new pricing.  Those boarding ships now and booking SD are paying the price increase.  Price has gone from $39 (e.g. CG) to $46.  It's a price increase folks.  Gratuity was always there from day-one.  It just shown now to all.

Edited by Steelers36

10 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Good idea.  That’s what I’m doing on our next cruise.

The dine line will know. 

ya, cause I'm totally confused and now I need a drink 🍸

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think what is happening is those that booked SD before the change and before their voyage are not being charged the new pricing.

That’s also my guess & in a couple of weeks will learn if that’s true.

We prepaid for The Catch & Sabatini’s at $39 & $35 but don’t know if they’ll add the 18% tip onboard…having already paid hopefully not. 🤞

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, c-boy said:

On the Crown we were in a suite so our embarkation night at Sabatini’s was comped nothing extra. Later in the cruise we went to Crown Grill and paid $39 each nothing extra. 

• Thanks 2

We were on Regal in January and the 18% charge was not applied to our Crown Grill meal because we had prepaid prior to the announced change. There was a thread here on CC where it was discussed if you had prepaid then the 18% didn't apply. Someone can search it if they want but if memory serves the cutoff date was sometime in December 2023? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We were on Regal in January and the 18% charge was not applied to our Crown Grill meal because we had prepaid prior to the announced change. There was a thread here on CC where it was discussed if you had prepaid then the 18% didn't apply. Someone can search it if they want but if memory serves the cutoff date was sometime in December 2023? 

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants#:~:text=Specialty restaurant cover charges applies,be added to your check.

It says 18% will be added to your check at the bottom of the menus.  All food and beverage.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

That’s also my guess & in a couple of weeks will learn if that’s true.

We prepaid for The Catch & Sabatini’s at $39 & $35 but don’t know if they’ll add the 18% tip onboard…having already paid hopefully not. 🤞

LMK, because I usually buy my SD’s way ahead of time and I was charged in 2023.  
Not sure if that theory is right or not, could just be the implementation OB ships is inconsistent.  Wouldn’t be the first time!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1