Connecting Flights

Flying from Nanaimo, British Columbia and will be going through security there.  Will Arrive in Vancouver with a one hour 16 minute layover before having to go USA Customs/Immigration there and will connect with the same airline for our LAX flight.  Is this enough time?

If it's all on one ticket, the airline will need to meet the minimum connection time (MCT) requirements at YVR or else they won't sell you the ticket.  The published MCT for YVR, Air Canada to Air Canada, domestic to USA, is 1h 10m.  I wouldn't worry.

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

I agree..too much of a chance missing my connection..the next flight has a lay over just under 4 hrs..best 2 book that..west jet has a connecting flight but connection is 7 hrs..uggh but $300 less..too long to wait..will bite the bullet and use ezy air with princess to book for January 2025 and not pay till October..thx for suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

Airline MCT are down to 35 minutes in some airports. JetBlue changed my flight vivo bong me 59 minutes to connect in Fort Lauderdale from Hartford to a Cozumel flight. My flight has a 20% record of being 30 minutes late, and the connecting later flight was already 75% full. That was the only flight to Consume later that day. I insisted they change it as I booked with a 2 hour window. They changed it on their own because they wanted to sell my award flight ( booked through Orlando) for more. 

8 hours ago, sambamama said:

They changed it on their own because they wanted to sell my award flight ( booked through Orlando) for more. 

Really?  How do you know that?  It just feels true?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Because blaming an airline is the true national sport of America?

9 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Really?  How do you know that?  It just feels true?

My thoughts exactly...absolutely no logic to the comment made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sambamama said:

Airline MCT are down to 35 minutes in some airports. JetBlue changed my flight vivo bong me 59 minutes to connect in Fort Lauderdale from Hartford to a Cozumel flight. My flight has a 20% record of being 30 minutes late, and the connecting later flight was already 75% full. That was the only flight to Consume later that day. I

The issue with YVR, when flying into the US, is that the passenger must go through US Customs & Immigration pre-clearance prior to entering the gate area.  (Or re-entering, in the OP’s case.)  Connecting within the US is not even remotely comparable.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Because blaming an airline is the true national sport of America?

It’s actually personally blaming an agent, who has nothing to do with any delays/cancellations, etc.  yesterday, the airport was a zoo because of spring break and weather.  Pax who missed their flights seemed astounded that there was no availability for days.  
“What?  But, I’m a frequent flyer, I need to be in XXX by 1700.”  
True story - a couple missed their connection due to a weather delay.  I finally found them two seats on a flight that would get them home by 21:00.  Nope, no good because the guy must be at work the next morning.  No flights available on any airline for the next four days.  They decide they are going to try and rent a car (good luck this week), and make the ten hour drive home from US to Canada.  I urge them to check availability of rental cars and if they can take the car to Canada, but off they go.  No idea what happened.

And, I think today is going to be even worse.  We’ll see!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The minimum connecting time in Vancouver for Domestic to US is 1 hour and 10 minutes.  I would not be comfortable with 1 hour and 16 minutes.

Air Canada - Minimum Connection Time

"Example: If you're travelling from Victoria to San Francisco with a connecting flight in Vancouver, you'll need to provide for a minimum connection time of 1 hour 10 min between your arrival in Vancouver and your departure for San Francisco."

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now