Getting to Mendenhall

hometoosoon

We were there last September, the HOLLAND America tour was sold out so we ended up taking a tour through one of the vendors in the port..We did pay more but we did want to go again and have time to walk to nuggett falls and back without rushing.

On 3/9/2024 at 4:08 PM, hometoosoon said:

With the blue buses not running, what would the next best thing be to get to see the glacier and Nugget Falls at our own pace? 

I’m curious too…last time I must’ve done the bus.  Can’t quite recall but definitely didn’t spend much.  Would potentially like to go again but not if I have to book an excursion to do it.

They did run for part of last year until they used up all there permits and no more were offered.  I suspect they will run this year on a more limited schedule.  Alaska was overrun with visitors last year and this year will be worse (68 cruise ships up from 50 last year).

• Like 1

For those that want to do it on the cheap you can ride the local transit.  The last bus stop is about 1.5 miles from the Mendenhall Visitors Center.  If you are inclined it's easy to walk and handicap accessible.  Bus fare is $2.00 one way.  Check out Juneau Capital Transit for info. 

2 hours ago, Warbird said:

For those that want to do it on the cheap you can ride the local transit.  The last bus stop is about 1.5 miles from the Mendenhall Visitors Center.  If you are inclined it's easy to walk and handicap accessible.  Bus fare is $2.00 one way.  Check out Juneau Capital Transit for info. 

Just realize the bus stop for the glacier is not the "last bus stop." That is deceiving. Definitely check the schedule and ask the driver for the correct stop . 

2 hours ago, Kat915 said:

Oh no. This isn't good...

Last year people could book them but they didn't have permits to cover them. They later cancelled bookings. So even if they were bookable, I wouldn't feel confident in booking with them.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

Last year people could book them but they didn't have permits to cover them. They later cancelled bookings. So even if they were bookable, I wouldn't feel confident in booking with them.

Agreed

31 minutes ago, Kat915 said:

Did the folks who booked to mendenhall through the cruise lines get to go later in summer?

Last year - everyone who booked through the cruise line, were able to get into the park. The cruise lines did not oversell (and run out of permits) like other vendors did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 1:56 AM, frugaltravel said:

Just realize the bus stop for the glacier is not the "last bus stop." That is deceiving. Definitely check the schedule and ask the driver for the correct stop . 

I see your point. I should have said closest. 

BC2465A5-61D2-4189-990C-4BD3B5CDDDC3.png