Newark airport to Broadway?

So since we are now flying out the day before we are thinking about a Broadway show but traveling to NY scares me and I won't do subways and trains etc, its just too confusing for us especially with an autistic 18 year old.  Is an uber worth it?  I have heard some uber drivers won't go between Newark and NY or back again?

36 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

So since we are now flying out the day before we are thinking about a Broadway show but traveling to NY scares me and I won't do subways and trains etc, its just too confusing for us especially with an autistic 18 year old.  Is an uber worth it?  I have heard some uber drivers won't go between Newark and NY or back again?

EDIT:  NEVERMIND Just saw that an uber is going to cost $80 one way.  UGH!  I google mapped the directions and it looks confusing as hell.  It also says it takes almost two hours to get there.  Our flight arrives at 4:15 and the show starts at 7.  Not sure we would be able to make it.

12 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Day of week and time of day need to be considered. A week day during morning or evening rush hours would be very difficult. Much less traffic on weekends.

Flight lands at 4:15 show starts at 7pm.  Thursday night

42 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

You can take the mono rail to NJ transit train station and take train to NYC Penn Station @ 33rd street and a walk or short cab ride. 

2 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

Flight lands at 4:15 show starts at 7pm.  Thursday night

There is an express bus every 30 minutes or so, picking up at all terminals and dropping off at Bryant Park. $18 each I think. Still takes at least 90 minutes though, so it’s tight and it’ll be peak rush hour by the time the bus gets anywhere near Manhattan.

And what were you planning to do with your luggage?

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

And what were you planning to do with your luggage?

A key question: arriving at 4:15 means VERY little time to get out of airport, get to hotel,  check in, drop off luggage, and get to theater.  Unless hotel was in airport or right next door to theatre it would be very tight.

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

You can take the mono rail to NJ transit train station and take train to NYC Penn Station @ 33rd street and a walk or short cab ride. 

Mono rail and NJ transit train are hardly helpful suggestions for someone who “…won’t do subways and trains etc.”

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Mono rail and NJ transit train are hardly helpful suggestions for someone who “…won’t do subways and trains etc.”

No comparison between the NJ Transit system and the NYC subways.  It's the easiest way to get to the Theatre section from Newark Int'l airport and cheaper and efficient.

Edited by nelblu

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

No comparison between the NJ Transit system and the NYC subways.  It's the easiest way to get to the Theatre section from Newark Int'l airport and cheaper and efficient.

It is still a TRAIN - one of the modes barred by someone who “…won’t do subways and TRAINS etc”

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

In terms of ease and efficiency I would go with the bus but it it is not the fastest.

It has 3 stops only.  Near Grand Central Station,, Bryant Park and Port Authority  Bus Terminal.

This might not be helpful in this specific case but it's good to know for other travelers. You put your bags under the bus , get on, and get off in midtown

Any uber driver who accepts your request for a ride will take you to your destination.  That is how it works, the 'message' goes out of your need, and whoever is closest who says "Yes" gets the gig.

Same thing going back.  Plenty of Uber drivers in Manhattan who would like a fare like this

Keep in mind Uber rates are fluid, and you are in rush hour (which is several hours). I’d say $80 is average, my daughter and 20 friends Ubers into the city last night, I think $70 going in, but a lot more coming home at 2 am. Where are you putting luggage? Daughter’s boyfriend is flying back to Florida today, flight already delayed an hour. Being local, we tame trains during rush hour, 10 miles west and it’s a good hour with traffic.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:56 AM, Minuet888 said:

Is an uber worth it? 

At what price? Uber has surge pricing, the price you see on a random day and time may not be what you will be charged. The question you ask is best answered by yourself. I don't think you have enough time from your flight landing to check in at your hotel and then travel by auto to NYC to make the start of the performance you choose.

Don't forget it is rush hour in the reverse direction, lanes are reversed in the tunnels and such for bus or any rubber wheel transportation. Additional time is needed. You might want to rethink the no rail option allowed. 

• Like 1