TxTeach79's Norwegian Sun Spring Break Shorty LIVE - 3/13/24

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from TxTeach79! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

TxTeach79 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Well then... Hello there!! 

It's time to fire up my little appetizer NCL Live for '24, a four day Bahamarama Spring Break bonanza on the ol' Sun. If you're unfamiliar, my better half @HelloItsMeB and I are sailing on a 10-day Pearl from Trieste in June, so that will be a much more substantial and (hopefully) interesting ride, but let's be honest, it's been a decade long year at work thus far, and the spring break respite couldn't be appreciated more. Soooo, if you're into the inherent and inevitable chaos of a Spring Break 4 day, this is the place! I've been almost exclusively on the Carnival board since I started doing the Live thing post pandemic, so most of my stuff is there, but I'm happy to be back over here for my first foray into a NCL Live!

YARN | I'm new! I don't know what to do! | Joe Dirt | Video gifs by quotes  | 330d878d | 紗

• Like 24
  • Haha 6

Just to give a little background to the proceedings, This will be cruise #59, my 8th on NCL but first since Breakaway to Bermuda in 2016; so it's been a while, and times have definitely changed! I'm sure a lot of this will be random observations and comparisons to some other sailings and lines, so be advised. If you're interested, here are some of my more recent sailings/LIVEs....

There are plenty more, but I won't bug you with them here. 

• Like 9

So the last time I was on the Sun, it was the early aughts and she looked like this....

File:Norwegian Sun at New Orleans.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I lived in Miami at the time and it was literally a one night party cruise. My buddy and I went to Le Bistro and gambled, that's about all I remember. That said, I DID sail on the Sky back in 2000 for 7 days, so I have that experience going for me.... at least as much as my quarter century memory of what I was doing in college can process.

Bottom line is I know she's an old gal and doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I enjoy smaller ships and plenty of Fantasy/Spirit/Jewel class sailings under my belt to prove it. Besides, she has her face on now...

Norwegian Sun Cruise Ship - Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Sun on  iCruise.com

• Like 15

Fun fact for those who don’t know - I actually worked at Norwegian corporate for a few years in the early aughts. Was an agent and eventually a supervisor in reservations and had some other odd responsibilities around the place. In fact, still have my random STYLE pin from ‘03…

IMG_5995.thumb.jpeg.0a9dd4fd57905c16c7133cab48277348.jpeg

to this day, “Service, Teamwork, and YES Leads to Excellence” is one of the wildest shoehorn acronyms I’ve come across. I wonder if they’re still stylin’??

side note: it was a wild ride working there during the whole NCL America roll out. Good times. 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

So this was a relatively last minute booking for me, and flights were slim pickin’s. I dumped out my points and grabbed some wonky flights; I’m a LITTLE nervous about this super tight connection, but I’ll just have a carryon with me and that DAL-HOU flight is darn near a cab ride, it’s on time schedule is pretty immaculate. So fingers crossed everything goes smoothly! At least my boarding positions are decent…

IMG_6405.thumb.jpeg.dd642db8cf91c06e371694a05201b349.jpeg

IMG_6406.thumb.jpeg.65154b073c6889ef84221c448f45c8a3.jpeg

• Like 7

Tomorrow night I’ll be staying at the Radisson Red near MIA; we stayed here before our Carnival Celebration NYE sailing a few months ago and it did the job just fine. Convenient, clean, and comfortable (and it only ran me $103).

image.thumb.jpeg.0ec9d15cc856247bc21ca40ba502cc9c.jpeg

I doubt I’ll do much tomorrow night, we’ll see. But right now relaxing in my room and making a fool out of myself via Uber Eats sounds pretty darn good. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, edspec said:

Looking forward to this.  Would it be a @TxTeach79 live without some possible travel drama?

I was on the Sun in 9/22, absolutely loved the ship.

I would expect nothing less!! Already have the AirTag in my carry on, even though it's a carry on. 

• Like 5