Boarding process

MaureenPat

It has been many years since our last cruise. We don't have any special status, but should be able to use the green line. Will someone please explain the boarding process and the best time to arrive at the port? We will be sailing the Sapphire Princess on April 5, 2024, from LA to the South Pacific. 

Wow - Nice way to come back to cruising - this is a bucket list cruise for many.

As far as boarding, we have only done it once at San Pedro.  There should be at least two lines to check in - Green and Blue - with someone at the front of the lines asking if you have your medallions or not and then directing you to the appropriate line.  After security and check in, if you are not in a full suite (or have status - which you indicated you do not), you will likely be directed to a seating area to wait until you can actually board the ship.

Best time to arrive?  Perhaps subjective, but many like to get onboard as soon as possible and "start vacation mode".  So early arrivals will get to the port around 930 or 10 am, but may have a wait before they can get checked in.  By 10:30 or 11am, the peak number of guests will be at the port and in the line or waiting area in some fashion.  It can be a bit of a zoo at that time, but these cruise companies and ports are pretty efficient at moving people.   Usually actual boarding starts around 1030 am or so, but can be delayed by customs inspections etc.  If you arrive after noon or so, line ups are minimal, and it is often a short wait or no wait to get on board. 

we were on the same ship to the same destination last Oct/Nov....and arrived at the port and 10AM. What a disaster......having experienced that, I would suggest to arrive at noon or later. It was a total mess.

Princess blamed both the port folks and the USCG....no matter whose fault, it was the worst ever.

I don't have any experience leaving from LA...but I've read many bad stories about crazy crowds and chaotic scenes at that port.  I suggest doing as @chrysalis says...wait until closer to noon or a bit after just to let the "craziness" subside.  You did not give your sail time but I suspect it will be at least 4:00pm (or later) so you've got plenty of time.  Many people try to rush and get on the ship in order to get that first meal in the MDR (or buffet) and you will have a much smoother embarkation if you wait until that melee passes.

You will be at Berth 93 for your departure so will be going through the nice terminal building which is definitely more pleasant and roomy. Being in the green lane should make your boarding process quicker and easier, so as to arrival time it really depends on how important it is to you to be on the ship early and perhaps have lunch in the MDR. Emerald will be at Berth 92 that day as well, so there will be lots of people getting off the two ships and lots getting on. It will be busy.  If you are keen to avoid the cross crush of people leaving and arriving, Noon or later may be less hectic. However, if you want to be on the ship earlier, you can certainly arrive at 9:30 - 10 a.m. with the understanding that it will be a bit more crowded. Just be prepared to be patient. 

3 hours ago, MaureenPat said:

It has been many years since our last cruise. We don't have any special status, but should be able to use the green line. Will someone please explain the boarding process and the best time to arrive at the port? We will be sailing the Sapphire Princess on April 5, 2024, from LA to the South Pacific. 

You will see the time for check-in in the app.  

I sail out of San Pedro (which is LA) multiple times a year. Just did a Mexico cruise out of the port last month. It is well organized and simple to follow the diections. I do not use an APP and never have the green line but have sometimes gone faster then them. After security which takes the longest you will be directed to a long counter with a dozen check in agents. You get your medallion and off you go. Easy as can be and fast.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

I sail out of San Pedro (which is LA) multiple times a year. Just did a Mexico cruise out of the port last month. It is well organized and simple to follow the diections. I do not use an APP and never have the green line but have sometimes gone faster then them. After security which takes the longest you will be directed to a long counter with a dozen check in agents. You get your medallion and off you go. Easy as can be and fast.

At San Pedro, check in is BEFORE security in Terminal 93.  

Drop of luggage with porters
Enter building

Ride escalator up to second floor

Check in

Security

Waiting room (General boarding area)

Walk on gangway with multiple switch backs (depending on tide)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1