Is the NCL Breakaway as bad as almost all of the current reviews say it is?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, RWK1952 said:

Do you have experience specifically with NCL, or with the NCL Breakaway in Southampton, or around the Iberian peninsula, on the worth of the Priority Pass?  On a huge ship like the Breakaway, if the Priority Pass also gave you priority disembarkation for shore excursions as well, I could see that being a real benefit.

I have never gotten the Priority Pass.  There is a live thread here on someone sailing the NCL Bliss out of California.  She showed herself bypassing lines.  I have only sailed NCL out of Rome, Athens, and Honolulu.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

30 minutes ago, UKstages said:

yes, absolutely. i see no reason parents wouldn't take their kids to spain for spring break.

Time.  Travel time adds to the length of the vacation.

Money.  Airfare plus hotels.

Sure, technically it's feasible but it's are less likely than parent are taking their kids to Spain for a spring break cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RWK1952 said:

Wow.  I started scrolling through the very recent, 2024 Cruise Critic reviews for the NCL Breakaway on which we currently have paid the small, refundable deposit on a cruise around the Iberian peninsula in March 2025.  I had to double check to make sure that I had not selected just the 1 star (out of 5) reviews.  

We wanted a 1-way cruise ending in Barcelona and there do not appear to be many options.  Plus, the 2 person fare, even for a Family Balcony Suite, was extremely reasonable .. extremely ... on the Breakaway compared to say, Oceania, which was one of the only other cruises I found going 1-way from the U.K. to Barcelona.

I found out that the Breakaway is huge - 3900+ guests and 1600+ staff.  

Reviews on CC consistently say that everything is crowded, including the main breakfast/lunch/dinner buffet and the complimentary dinner areas, and the food is average and often room temperature.  Trying to see shows is often impossible since you are competing with almost 4000 other people.

We recently (September 2023) took a cruise on the Celebrity Millennium in Alaska.  That ship has a little more than half the passenger capacity as the Breakaway, and we had no issues with the complimentary and specialty dining areas or with the food quality, and no difficulty just walking in to see the shows.  Unfortunately, Celebrity only seems to do round trip cruises, at least in Europe.  Also, our Alaska cruise was at the very end of the Alaska cruising season so perhaps that was a significant factor.   

Is the NCL Breakaway potentially as bad a choice for us to take as seniors, as the reviews here on Cruise Critic make it sound?

We have cruised on the Breakaway twice and three times on her sister ship, the Getaway.  Twice were in the Haven.  The other times we sailed in a Balcony stateroom.  We enjoyed each of those cruises.  This past October we sailed a similar itinerary to the one you are planning while on board the Dawn.  We had a great time in each of those ports.  To be sure, the Breakaway is starting to show its age.  It's been five years since we sailed on her, and the reports of wear and tear are not to be discounted.  Those issues, however, will likely be resolved during the Breakaway's next dry dock, which will occur prior to your planned trip.  Overall, we found the ship to be well designed, the layout was easy to find our way around, and most anything you might want in a ship was available.  Some will object, of course, that it doesn't have this venue or that lounge, but I have no complaints about the ship.  We always found plenty to keep us entertained and always had a wonderful time on board.  If the itinerary appeals to you, I would heartily recommend that you go for it, regardless of what some negative reviews might indicate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Time.  Travel time adds to the length of the vacation.

Money.  Airfare plus hotels.

Sure, technically it's feasible but it's are less likely than parent are taking their kids to Spain for a spring break cruise.

This might be true if you only consider people in the US, but none of that is true for Europeans 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I have never gotten the Priority Pass.  There is a live thread here on someone sailing the NCL Bliss out of California.  She showed herself bypassing lines.  I have only sailed NCL out of Rome, Athens, and Honolulu.

Thank you for your helpful responses.  I am fairly new to Cruise Critic.  I would like to check out that person's Live blog on the NCL Bliss.  I see where to access Live Cruise Reports, but I don't see how to search for a specific one.  Is there a way to do that, or do I just have to scroll thru all of the current Live Reports until I find this one?  Thanks.

10 hours ago, RWK1952 said:

Wow.  I started scrolling through the very recent, 2024 Cruise Critic reviews for the NCL Breakaway on which we currently have paid the small, refundable deposit on a cruise around the Iberian peninsula in March 2025.  I had to double check to make sure that I had not selected just the 1 star (out of 5) reviews.  

We wanted a 1-way cruise ending in Barcelona and there do not appear to be many options.  Plus, the 2 person fare, even for a Family Balcony Suite, was extremely reasonable .. extremely ... on the Breakaway compared to say, Oceania, which was one of the only other cruises I found going 1-way from the U.K. to Barcelona.

Reviews on CC consistently say that everything is crowded, including the main breakfast/lunch/dinner buffet and the complimentary dinner areas, and the food is average and often room temperature.  Trying to see shows is often impossible since you are competing with almost 4000 other people.

We recently (September 2023) took a cruise on the Celebrity Millennium in Alaska.  That ship has a little more than half the passenger capacity as the Breakaway, and we had no issues with the complimentary and specialty dining areas or with the food quality, and no difficulty just walking in to see the shows.  Unfortunately, Celebrity only seems to do round trip cruises, at least in Europe.  Also, our Alaska cruise was at the very end of the Alaska cruising season so perhaps that was a significant factor.   

Is the NCL Breakaway potentially as bad a choice for us to take as seniors, as the reviews here on Cruise Critic make it sound?

A lot of people ar not happy unles hey can find somethign to complain and be miserable about/  Don't let other people's bad attitudes impact your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve been on six cruises on the Breakaway post-Covid, including 28 consecutive nights in April/May of 2023 - a TA from NY to Rome with stops in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy, followed by ten nights through Italy and Greece. The Transatlantic portion of this trip was in the Haven, but the rest of the trips were in a balcony or an Oceanview.

Personally, I love the Breakaway.  I haven’t been on the newer ships, but have been on the Joy, the Epic and the Gem.  Of these three, my favorite is the Joy, but that could be because I’ve only been in the Haven on the Joy (and going again next month.)  

Since you really can’t compare a Haven experience to a sailing outside the Haven, my comments are limited to those trips.  

The ship is big.  No question about that.  But it never felt overwhelmingly crowded.  Did I ever have to wait for a drink?  Yes, but no more than five minutes.  As others have said, if one bar is crowded, walk 75 feet to the next one.  The buffet will be crowded at peak times, no way to avoid that.  It’s even worse if the weather is bad and no one is sitting outside to eat.  But again, a little patience goes a long way.  You will find a seat if you try.  It may just take a few minutes.  Same for MDR.  You may have to wait a few minutes for a table at peak times, but you will get seated.  The food overall is good.  And if you don’t care for something, order something else.  You will not go hungry.  It may not be Michelin Star dining, but overall very good.  Same with Specialty restaurants.  I’ve never had a bad meal, but at times the service was slower than I would have liked.  

The entertainment is good.  For the big shows, it helps to have a reservation, but even if you don’t there is a standby line and chances are you will get in.  I don’t think I’m alone in saying that the best entertainment on the ship is at Syd Normans.  Shows are absolutely fantastic.  But the venue is small.  Others are right that you need to be in line at least an hour before the doors open to have any hope of getting a seat.  But it’s worth the wait.  Trust us.  Grab a drink from the Whiskey Bar next door and chat with your fellow cruisers waiting in line.  You won’t regret it, and will likely do the same thing for the next show.  That’s how good it is.  😃

I wouldn’t hesitate to go on the BA again.  So far it’s my second favorite NCL ship.

Edited by Russiamomm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RWK1952 said:

Thank you for your helpful responses.  I am fairly new to Cruise Critic.  I would like to check out that person's Live blog on the NCL Bliss.  I see where to access Live Cruise Reports, but I don't see how to search for a specific one.  Is there a way to do that, or do I just have to scroll thru all of the current Live Reports until I find this one?  Thanks.

Here is the link

31 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Here is the link

Thank you for the link.  How were you able to find and forward that specific link?

We went on the Breakaway in Feb 2020. We stayed in a 2bd haven suite. I I thought the haven pool area was the most beautiful room I’d ever seen. I thought the haven food was better than the Encore. The rest of the ship was busy and vibrant and fun. I don’t remember the bad parts so much, just the good ones!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 4:11 AM, RWK1952 said:

Sailed the Breakaway in August w/ DD & it was fantastic!

Food good to very good, in MDR, specialty, buffet. (yes, some things better than others, as always)

Never had an issue getting a seat for theatre shows, arriving 10 min. early or so (now, I might not get my FAVORITE seat...but seats always available)

Syds--gotta line up early, just how it is.

Not a fan of game shows in the Plaza--seating can be a challenge even early--but it is what it is.

Cruises are more crowded now. If you don't like the crowds or waiting (as I don't), you learn what to do to avoid them--dine at the beginning or end of B/L/D hours; find those quiet corners to read or play a game; show up a bit early to get a seat for the things you REALLY want to do. 

When you find a server who gives you great service--give them a few $ tip & keep asking for them/coming back to their bar. 

As @graphicguy said, complainers are MUCH more likely to write a review. (I tend to write mine on the boards...guess I should on the review area as well) 

Look for PATTERNS of complaints. If everyone is complaining about different things, I ignore it (just a bunch of whiners--goodness knows we have all encountered them). But if you see 1 or 2 of the same things complained about over & over--pay attention. Are those things deal breakers for you? That should help your decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2024 at 1:59 PM, The Traveling Man said:

We have cruised on the Breakaway twice and three times on her sister ship, the Getaway.  Twice were in the Haven.  The other times we sailed in a Balcony stateroom.  We enjoyed each of those cruises.  This past October we sailed a similar itinerary to the one you are planning while on board the Dawn.  We had a great time in each of those ports.  To be sure, the Breakaway is starting to show its age.  It's been five years since we sailed on her, and the reports of wear and tear are not to be discounted.  Those issues, however, will likely be resolved during the Breakaway's next dry dock, which will occur prior to your planned trip.  Overall, we found the ship to be well designed, the layout was easy to find our way around, and most anything you might want in a ship was available.  Some will object, of course, that it doesn't have this venue or that lounge, but I have no complaints about the ship.  We always found plenty to keep us entertained and always had a wonderful time on board.  If the itinerary appeals to you, I would heartily recommend that you go for it, regardless of what some negative reviews might indicate.

When is dry dock scheduled for Breakaway?

On 3/14/2024 at 2:11 AM, RWK1952 said:

Not sure about March 2025, but July 2025 -- HORRIBLE CHOICE!!!  Tell everyone you know already booked or thinking about booking the Breakaway in July 2025 to absolutely stay away.  Make up stuff if you have to, make stuff up about the stuff you make up even.

I'll report back after to let you know if people heeded the warnings 😉.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, n4w said:

Not sure about March 2025, but July 2025 -- HORRIBLE CHOICE!!!  Tell everyone you know already booked or thinking about booking the Breakaway in July 2025 to absolutely stay away.  Make up stuff if you have to, make stuff up about the stuff you make up even.

Do you mind being a little more specific about you think why March 2025 MAY not be bad, but July 2025 is DEFINITELY bad?  Is that because of the specific itinerary for the July trip, or because of your opinion of the Breakaway itself/  If it is the Breakaway itself that make you say that, then I suggest that you look back at almost any response I have had to my original post, who almost universally speak well, if not very highly of the Breakaway.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, RWK1952 said:

Do you mind being a little more specific about you think why March 2025 MAY not be bad, but July 2025 is DEFINITELY bad?  Is that because of the specific itinerary for the July trip, or because of your opinion of the Breakaway itself/  If it is the Breakaway itself that make you say that, then I suggest that you look back at almost any response I have had to my original post, who almost universally speak well, if not very highly of the Breakaway.

Spread the word that July 2025 is especially super duper definitely bad.  No cookies or hash browns.  Extra taxes and gratuities.  Minors in their own cabins. Stolen luggage. Guaranteed BOGO air problems. Weather too rough for GSC.  Be like the CruiseNext desk and tell 'em anything.

I'm trying to make my July 2025 Breakaway cruise less crowded.  Anyone pondering about a mid summer cruise (Venice to Barcelona) should really consider Alaska instead.

More specifically, July 3, 2025 Breakaway = very, very bad.  Any other ship or itinerary, great choice.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

Like I said, I'll report back after to let you know if people heeded the warnings 😉.

Edited by n4w
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RWK1952 said:

If it is the Breakaway itself that make you say that, then I suggest that you look back at almost any response I have had to my original post, who almost universally speak well, if not very highly of the Breakaway.

Yeah, they should all stop and keep their opinions to themselves until after my cruise.

59 minutes ago, n4w said:

Okay, I'll ask.  What's so bad about sailing in the Mediterranean in July?  It's hot then, to be sure, but I've done it before and enjoyed it.  So what's wrong with the Breakaway in July in the Med?

6 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

According to @justhappy in post #16, the Breakaway is scheduled for a dry dock in February 2025, shortly before the OP's planned cruise.

I assume the fact that they are booking the Breakaway for a March 28, 2025 sailing from Southampton means that the drydock will be complete by then.  I suppose NCL can't afford to keep a ship out of commission for updates too long.

Just now, The Traveling Man said:

Okay, I'll ask.  What's so bad about sailing in the Mediterranean in July?  It's hot then, to be sure, but I've done it before and enjoyed it.  So what's wrong with the Breakaway in July in the Med?

Traveling Man:  I am pretty sure that n4w is a troll.  If he/she is, it is the first time I have recognized one on any of my posts, although admittedly I have not been active on CruiseCritic for very long.

1 minute ago, The Traveling Man said:

Sorry, snuck one by you.

2 minutes ago, RWK1952 said:

Traveling Man:  I am pretty sure that n4w is a troll.  If he/she is, it is the first time I have recognized one on any of my posts, although admittedly I have not been active on CruiseCritic for very long.

Not a troll, it just went over your head.  I'm advocating a less crowded cruise for myself in July.  Jeez.  Try reading the responses again.

11 minutes ago, RWK1952 said:

You seem to be correct.  There are a few of them on CC.  I guess I always look for the best in other people, so when someone acts like a troll, offers snide remarks in response to an earnest question from someone else seeking advice from other CC members, or tries to be "just so cute" with their postings, my first reaction is to assume that they are being genuine, honest, and forthright with their response.  So, yes, sometimes responses like that tend to slide by me.  It now seems that @n4w thinks that by warning others away from a cruise which he plans to take that he will find himself sailing on a less-than-full-to-capacity ship.