GI outbreak on the Sirena

14 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

arming him/herself with antibiotic "just in case", and apparently will self-diagnose

On the other hand, I have COPD and have a "rescue pack" (antibiotics and steroids). At an early stage of thinking I've got a chest infection, I use the pack. My self diagnosis is usually correct and the drugs help to prevent a bad flare-up. But the diagnosis isnt always correct which does mean I've taken the drugs pointlessly. Such is life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

On the other hand, I have COPD and have a "rescue pack" (antibiotics and steroids). At an early stage of thinking I've got a chest infection, I use the pack. My self diagnosis is usually correct and the drugs help to prevent a bad flare-up. But the diagnosis isnt always correct which does mean I've taken the drugs pointlessly. Such is life. 

Hi John, 

I can't imagine having to deal with COPD, not fun I am sure.  Difficulties with breathing would be my nightmare.  Smart to have the rescue pack.

We are fortunate that one of our best friends is a doctor, only an email away, so no need for us to self-diagnose.  In these days of few doctors around, and decreasing numbers of family doctors, we are so lucky.

I swear the cipro prescription we had on hand in Cuba one time saved my life.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers

(Big fan of Coronation Street and Heartbeat, and addicted to BritBox.  Such is a good life.)

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, WildWanderers said:

In these days of few doctors around, and decreasing numbers of family doctors

Same in the UK, Greg. But to discuss that would cross what I assume is a "no politics" rule on the forum. I'm fortunate the COPD is still at a relatively early stage so doesnt generally effect me too much. Although when I have a flare-up, it can be limiting.

I can only think of a couple of Canadian shows we get here (both of which I like) - Murdoch Mysteries and Cardinal

John

Edited by Harters

58 minutes ago, Move said:

All the medical chat is lovely but in short….is there anyone onboard out there who can advise the current situation please?

I believe per the above posts the cruise ended Saturday. 

I have not checked the O board in a while and this caught my eye.  We were on the Nautica at the end of January and both came down with lower GI illness mentioned above (NOT noro)

Many cruises behind us and this was the first time ever we got ill and we are both extremely

careful so much so I thought maybe it was something we ate at Red Ginger the night before but

we had different food.  My DH landed up going to the medical center and came back with 

generic Imodium and an antibiotic.... pleasantly surprised at no charge.  Our excursion money 

went out the window since we were not able to go on any.  Also had to cancel our reservation

for the other specialty restaurant.  However, I spoke to the Concierge and she did get us a 

reservation the last night of our cruise.  Only enjoyed 4 of the 10 cruise days.  "Stuff happens"

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, trickylibrarian said:

I have not checked the O board in a while and this caught my eye.  We were on the Nautica at the end of January and both came down with lower GI illness mentioned above (NOT noro)

Many cruises behind us and this was the first time ever we got ill and we are both extremely

careful so much so I thought maybe it was something we ate at Red Ginger the night before but

we had different food.  My DH landed up going to the medical center and came back with 

generic Imodium and an antibiotic.... pleasantly surprised at no charge.  Our excursion money 

went out the window since we were not able to go on any.  Also had to cancel our reservation

for the other specialty restaurant.  However, I spoke to the Concierge and she did get us a 

reservation the last night of our cruise.  Only enjoyed 4 of the 10 cruise days.  "Stuff happens"

Are you sure you were on Nautica? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, trickylibrarian said:

Nautica does not have a Red Ginger.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not foolproof but our protocol has worked so far: 

+Prophylactic pepto bismal in high risk areas ( Peru for example)

+Hydrogen peroxide wipes (are somewhat effective against virus) - wipe hands every time entering cabin

+Do not touch your face. Wash and sanitize wipe hands before any toothcare. 

+Do not touch your food. Silverware or napkin for everything. 

+do not drink tapwater onboard or in many overseas countries (often overkill but you never know)

2018 Lima to NYC cruise had a long period of GI related sanitary procedures. Whether by luck or above approach our guts were fine. 

Stay safe all! 

Edited by babysteps
  • Like 1

@oceansandseas  Just checked our previous cruise records, and you’re right.  I can’t believe it was that long ago, but it was 2016 and on Riviera.  

We had an international flight home, so couldn’t change it, so spent 2 nights in Miami, I think it was at a Marriott.  

We have a theory that a lot of people stay at a hotel pre cruise, and wondered if they’d picked up Noro from the hotel.  The hotel wouldn’t be aware because most people only stay 1 night, so maybe wouldn’t have symptoms until they boarded, or just after boarding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

@oceansandseas  Just checked our previous cruise records, and you’re right.  I can’t believe it was that long ago, but it was 2016 and on Riviera.  

We had an international flight home, so couldn’t change it, so spent 2 nights in Miami, I think it was at a Marriott.  

We have a theory that a lot of people stay at a hotel pre cruise, and wondered if they’d picked up Noro from the hotel.  The hotel wouldn’t be aware because most people only stay 1 night, so maybe wouldn’t have symptoms until they boarded, or just after boarding. 

Was this in Jan of 16 or Dec of 16? 

So that started in Dec of 15. We were on a TA on Riviera when the Noro broke out. Bermuda wouldn’t let us port there so we went to Bahamas. It got progressively worse on each consecutive cruise. It eventually ran its course but as you know it was a real problem. 

I just got off the Sirena PC cruise on 3/17.  Home late that night.  Still struggling with diarrhea.  Finally went to ER yesterday.  Has anyone else returned home from that cruise and continues to experience GI or other issues??  I ate ONLY on the ship.  I suspected lingering issues from what ship doctor said was AG virus, a gastro virus.  But my doctor said this is too long for a virus, as I am a healthy person.  Testing now for food borne bacteria.

Wife and I are home after getting off ship on 3/17.  Both had GI issues treated by doctor on board.  Issues seemed to have cleared up.  After speaking to many who were sick, we do feel it was a food related issue.  Lettuce seems to be a common factor in all we have spoken to.  (Our illness began on third morning (ate in Red Ginger then Toscan Steak previous nights).

3 hours ago, golfer4798 said:

I just got off the Sirena PC cruise on 3/17.  Home late that night.  Still struggling with diarrhea.  Finally went to ER yesterday.  Has anyone else returned home from that cruise and continues to experience GI or other issues??  I ate ONLY on the ship.  I suspected lingering issues from what ship doctor said was AG virus, a gastro virus.  But my doctor said this is too long for a virus, as I am a healthy person.  Testing now for food borne bacteria.

My partner and I both started with issues when we got home. 

3 hours ago, Jimparr said:

Lettuce seems to be a common factor in all we have spoken to. 

Hope everyone recovers quickly!
Left that out of my list. I don't eat lettuce (unless it is cooked). My spouse says I need a t-shirt that says "lettuce can kill you"

On 3/18/2024 at 7:36 AM, Harters said:

The other hand? - Oh, boy (see my previous post # 71)!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Harters said:

Laugh? I nearly pissed myself

sounds like a (kind of) proper British joke, doesn't it?  On our recent Azamara cruise we met a very nice British couple, and I learned a lot!  My both posts, nevertheless, are my own "creatures".

Edited by kirtihk