Disappointing wine list on Viking Star

hutch1994

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Agree.  This past cruise in the Med, we found some interesting and different wines they had picked up in Spain, Portugal, and Italy - that were different from before.

We are not that wedded to having to have a California red (although I must admit I'm a bit biased towards them).  Sometimes it's fun to try different wines and expand the horizons!

I have mentioned this before, but my Husband is a WSET level 3 and moving on to Level 4.

Before meeting him, I was stuck on certain wines and regions.  It took some time for my "taste" in wine to open up, but now we tend to not drink the same wine again... or if we like it we will buy a few bottles but then move on after that.  Also in Ontario Canada the way wine is available to us, often our retail seller brings in so many cases and when it is gone, it is gone.  We tend to not be fans of the high quantity always available wines, and look for the smaller region wines that are available seasonally.  

Wine to me is about understanding the different profiles of the wines based on where they are from and the terroir that contributes to the palate that each wine presents.

We don't necessarily like every wine we drink, and there have been some on Viking that I would never drink again... but that is also why we just keep moving through the list.

Wine and the enjoyment of wine is very subjective based on what your tongue tells you when you first drink it.  Bitter, sweet, tart, tannins, crisp, and on and on.

We have always felt that Viking do a good job in the curation of their wine lists, but that is just us.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have mentioned this before, but my Husband is a WSET level 3 and moving on to Level 4.

Before meeting him, I was stuck on certain wines and regions.  It took some time for my "taste" in wine to open up, but now we tend to not drink the same wine again... or if we like it we will buy a few bottles but then move on after that.  Also in Ontario Canada the way wine is available to us, often our retail seller brings in so many cases and when it is gone, it is gone.  We tend to not be fans of the high quantity always available wines, and look for the smaller region wines that are available seasonally.  

Wine to me is about understanding the different profiles of the wines based on where they are from and the terroir that contributes to the palate that each wine presents.

We don't necessarily like every wine we drink, and there have been some on Viking that I would never drink again... but that is also why we just keep moving through the list.

Wine and the enjoyment of wine is very subjective based on what your tongue tells you when you first drink it.  Bitter, sweet, tart, tannins, crisp, and on and on.

We have always felt that Viking do a good job in the curation of their wine lists, but that is just us.

Well stated - we totally agree!  That is what has been fun with Viking - trying and tasting new wines.  When we are traveling in various cities we also enjoy doing that!  We try to make a Viking cruise part of a larger trip, so that we can experience more!  For instance we just spent 10 days in Italy before our recent cruise.  Wonderful different wines to taste there (and the food, oh my!).  We spent time in Chile, touring and tasting, ahead of our Viking S.America cruise, and also after finishing in Buenos Aires, flew to Mendoza to spend 3 days learning about their fabulous Malbec!

I'll also state that we enjoy the pairing of wines with food and have been trying to educate ourselves with that.  We've enjoyed some of the wonderful wine/food pairing tastings on the Viking ships (which they schedule on sea days in the past at least).

Hopefully some day our paths will cross!

Kent

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Messybill said:

OK CC, perhaps we will cross paths at some point.  If so we look forward to an opportunity to taste some wine and discuss!

Yes indeed!  Always enjoy the chance to talk about wine and sip a little 🙂

Interesting note - on our recent Saturn Mediterranean cruise, we had a Cruise Consultant who gave a completely new approach to the traditional Cruise Presentations they often do in the Star Theatre.  His name is Hamed Esfihanian.  He titled and presented several of them oriented to cruises suited to wine tasting !!  Really enjoyed them.  We also had several one/one discussions later on during the cruise on wine and travel experiences.  Very engaging man if you ever run into him on Viking.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 3:24 AM, CDNPolar said:

The wine by the glass included is decent if you pick a white. I did not like any of the red choices. Oceania has a much better by the glass free wined rather than just one red or white

13 hours ago, oskidunker said:

The wine by the glass included is decent if you pick a white. I did not like any of the red choices. Oceania has a much better by the glass free wined rather than just one red or white

If you don't like one of the included wines - say the red one - ask if there is another option.  Tell them you don't like it.  We have done this many times and they seem to have a different option available.  Also we have found that the included wines can be different day-by-day.  They are not advertised, so they can change.  I also believe that short stock in past listed wines are used up as included wines.  This is where the options come from.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 5:40 AM, duquephart said:

We have asked if a riesling is available. Never denied.

Assuming you mean with the "included" wines....

YES, this is our experience too.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:47 PM, CCWineLover said:

Thanks!  Great idea.  Never thought of that. At least for ones we don't see on the list at all.

My original point was that some of our favorite wines that were by the glass were now by the bottle only.  Specifically asked about Mer de Soleil Chardonnay, which had been by the glass for a long time and then got "elevated" to a buy the bottle only.  I asked first if it was still in stock on board and after the yes, asked if we could just have a glass like before and the answer was, you can only buy the full bottle.  Disappointing.

Very disappointing!!   Ugh..  Heading out in a few days with the beverage package.  In my case for upgraded wines.  Maybe a mistake..

4 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

Very disappointing!!   Ugh..  Heading out in a few days with the beverage package.  In my case for upgraded wines.  Maybe a mistake..

If you are leaving in a few days, I guess you can't cancel the SSBP on MVJ, but you may be able to cancel it on board.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:11 AM, hutch1994 said:

Agree with your assessment.  Probably will be looking at Regent or Silverseas as we don't really want to go to the trouble of carrying wines on board.

If the wine-by-the-bottle is of a high enough standard for you, just add in the cost of buying wine to the price of the cruise, and compare that against Regent / Silverseas / etc. If you don't finish a bottle, Viking should hold it for you or let you bring it back to your room.

On 3/23/2024 at 6:24 AM, Ibis said:

Totally agree about asking and we did ask. Only sparkling wines in The Restaurant being offered are a rather low quality sweet  Californian sparkling wine and a sweet German sparkling wine. In Manfredi’s we were offered a sparkling wine with a Viking label, also, in our opinion, below even just an average standard. We said no thank you to all three.

We’ll ask again and see if anything else surfaces. I’m not surprised someone tipping  the sommelier with cash early on in the cruise might just be offered other options, but what a pity that’s the way the game is played on Viking. We are just more comfortable knowing up front what is available to all of us, since Viking does advertise wine included at dinner.

The beverage package does include one champagne. Are you saying that it is also too sweet? Or that it isn't available?

On 3/24/2024 at 12:02 PM, CCWineLover said:

Yes indeed!  Always enjoy the chance to talk about wine and sip a little 🙂

Interesting note - on our recent Saturn Mediterranean cruise, we had a Cruise Consultant who gave a completely new approach to the traditional Cruise Presentations they often do in the Star Theatre.  His name is Hamed Esfihanian.  He titled and presented several of them oriented to cruises suited to wine tasting !!  Really enjoyed them.  We also had several one/one discussions later on during the cruise on wine and travel experiences.  Very engaging man if you ever run into him on Viking.

so based on your discussions with Hamed what new cruises did you book or are thinking about? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

The beverage package does include one champagne. Are you saying that it is also too sweet? Or that it isn't available?

Fyi One “sparkling” is part on the included wines but not advertised.

we dislike sweet sparkling but like the include / not too sweet not too dry.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Fyi One “sparkling” is part on the included wines but not advertised.

we dislike sweet sparkling but like the include / not too sweet not too dry.

Was going to say.... there has been another whole discussion about sparkling, Prosecco, Cava, and Champagne.

We don't love the included sparkling but we drink it at lunch as a starter.  It seems to open our palate a bit before lunch.  Kind of cleanses the morning excursion dust out of our mouth.

• Haha 2

Good thread.  I wouldn't be surprised if Viking's furlough of so many employees introduced a bit of cynicism to the legendary hospitality so many employees displayed in the past.

A $20 US bill is often a sign of respect, and expectation. After they've done something above and beyond...

Reporting back..  we are sea in Viking Saturn and have the Silver beverage package.  I agree that the wines are disappointing offers for an “upgrade”.  The liquor offerings are decent.  We have a PV and they do stock your room with either the lowest priced liquor option OR a bottle of house wine..  daily.

6 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

The included wines run from ok to terrible.  Reds are better than whites. Soda and beer are better choices. If you really like good wine, bring it.  

Exactly what I say - after many Viking Ocean Cruises.  Things are different post-COVID.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:27 PM, CCWineLover said:

Exactly what I say - after many Viking Ocean Cruises.  Things are different post-COVID.

It seems like the math means:

If you like super premium wines, get the package for the 30% discount, and buy at least $175 of wine by the bottle per day.

If you like premium wines, liquor not so much, do not get the package and just order wine by the bottle.

But agreed. The upgraded wines are still not special.

It shouldn't be hard for Viking to stock their ships with a decent selection of wines and spirits. Many countries produce fine wines, and spirits from known makers are widely available.

• Like 2

I believe that like food, wine is very subjective and some people - NOT all, but some - have their favourite wines and regions and when they cannot grip onto these they are not pleased.

So many wines are influenced by what you are eating with the wine - if you are drinking at dinner.  Some foods make some wines sweeter and some make the wine sour tasting.  If the wine is first not properly "opened" and had time to breathe and then it is paired with a food that impacts negatively its flavour profile, then we are unhappy.

I am a believer that there are no bad wines, just wines that don't meet my expectations.

We have friends that have money to burn and they drink regularly at home $80 bottles of wine.  We have been served this at their home and would never buy it.  We don't like it at all, but they love it.  Go figure.

We like Viking's selection overall.  Have we had wines that we mark as not to drink again based on our likes?  Yes, but we always find wines we like on the menu.

• Like 3

Next month we will be on our first Viking cruise,  While we were on the fence about the drink package and wine, we took it for no reason other than convienance. 

As CDNPolar and others have mentioned, we are going in with an open mind.  My wife and some of our friends (while not exactly oenophiles or winesnobs), do enjoy some of the more expensive or finer wines,  That being said, their "drink now" favorites run anywhere between $20 and $40 a bottle.  Most people we know (can't speak for ones we don't) get used to a profile or grape and then judge other wines in comparison.  A lot forget that when you go to Italy, wines are different than France, those are different from Chile, and those are different from Australia (let alone the sub-regions).  We try to keep an open mind.  Worst possible scenario while aboard Viking is that we don't like their wines and we buy some on port days.

Last thought - every year as a birthday present for my wife I purchase five or six bottles of the same varietal, all different price points, and do a blind tasting for her and friends.  I really try to find a cheaper $10-$15 dollar bottle, a couple in the $20-$25 range, one in the $30's, one in the $40-$50 or higher.  In every case, with only one exception (and we have been doing this for at least 20 years), my wife and DIL will always identify the cheapest and the most expensive wines.  Not that the most expensive is the one they like, but they can identify it.  As for the others doing the taste test, it has always been a mixed bag of which wines people like - other than most won't like the cheapest (although once a friend really liked the $12 bottle and we don't let him forget it).  At the same time, the majority also don't like the most expensive one, likely since they are not used to the complexity.

Of course as CDNPolar said, add in food - bland, spicy, sweet, etc and everything changes again.  I can't stand icewine until you have some sort of sweet first.

I'll provide our thoughts on the Viking wines once we get home.

In the meantime, enjoy whatever makes YOU happy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RLK33853 said:

Next month we will be on our first Viking cruise,  While we were on the fence about the drink package and wine, we took it for no reason other than convienance. 

As CDNPolar and others have mentioned, we are going in with an open mind.  My wife and some of our friends (while not exactly oenophiles or winesnobs), do enjoy some of the more expensive or finer wines,  That being said, their "drink now" favorites run anywhere between $20 and $40 a bottle.  Most people we know (can't speak for ones we don't) get used to a profile or grape and then judge other wines in comparison.  A lot forget that when you go to Italy, wines are different than France, those are different from Chile, and those are different from Australia (let alone the sub-regions).  We try to keep an open mind.  Worst possible scenario while aboard Viking is that we don't like their wines and we buy some on port days.

Last thought - every year as a birthday present for my wife I purchase five or six bottles of the same varietal, all different price points, and do a blind tasting for her and friends.  I really try to find a cheaper $10-$15 dollar bottle, a couple in the $20-$25 range, one in the $30's, one in the $40-$50 or higher.  In every case, with only one exception (and we have been doing this for at least 20 years), my wife and DIL will always identify the cheapest and the most expensive wines.  Not that the most expensive is the one they like, but they can identify it.  As for the others doing the taste test, it has always been a mixed bag of which wines people like - other than most won't like the cheapest (although once a friend really liked the $12 bottle and we don't let him forget it).  At the same time, the majority also don't like the most expensive one, likely since they are not used to the complexity.

Of course as CDNPolar said, add in food - bland, spicy, sweet, etc and everything changes again.  I can't stand icewine until you have some sort of sweet first.

Really well stated.  Thanks for this!

Can't wait to hear your reviews.

I will also add that different regions in France have different profiles, as do those from Italy and other countries.  I personally don't believe that you can just love Italian wine. You will like some, love others, and dislike others from the same country.  Then we get into light, medium, and full bodied wines.

I don't understand Whiskey, Bourbon, and Scotch but there are lovers of all these spirits and they have their favourites and ones they dislike.  Same thing.  We have a friend that is very particular about Gin, but to me every Gin tastes the same as soon as you add tonic - or even if you drink it straight up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Thank you as well.  Excellent points.

We love all kinds of wine and are definitely not wine snobs.  Part of our traveling is trying new wines from different ports we visit, as well as different foods.   What's the point of traveling if you just try to replicate what you have at home?

Yes, sometimes the wines haven't been the best, or the pricing mechanism isn't the greatest, but those are very minor things.  And when it is important to us, we'll bring some bottles onboard at ports.  It's been fun to talk with the wine stewards about them as they open them at dinner for us.

My guess is that we may hear lots of complaints but social media gives a distorted view of how many people like/dislike things, including cruising, food, and wine.  The great silent majority certainly must enjoy it. 

I believe Viking makes changes or tweaks only if a vast number of passengers are requesting some kind of change.  Until then, I would guess the wine situation stays the same, which is OK.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

so Kent what will you bring aboard in tokyo?....we will probably need a change after the crossing from Alaska...but we will have SSP because I really have fun with the different cocktails!!