Pre Cruise hotels in Athens ?

We will be on a Splendor cruise which leaves from Athens next April.  A night in an Athens hotel is included...if possible I would love to know which hotels Regent has used in the past ?  And also roughly how far in advance of the cruise do they tell you where you will be staying?   (They aren't doing our air).  I know Athens quite well and know more or less where I would like to stay.  So might set something up on my own if I don't like their choice (!).

Last October, as part of a 3 night pre-cruise package, we were booked by Regent into the Divani Caravelle.  Other than the very nice rooftop pool, bar and restaurant, the hotel was mediocre at best.  Once onboard Voyager we ran into people who were booked by Regent in the King George. I believe this was for those staying in Concierge level suites and above who receive a free night prior to embarcation.

avoid the Marriott Athens :  i made the bokking by myself - very poor and bad service for a high price ! 

if you have to book by yourself try the Intercontinental  

I stayed in the Grande Bretagne as well -  extremely good , now i will try the neighbour King George in October. 

We stayed at the Intercontinental last May. After reading a few reviews of the Divani Caravelle we decided to take the credit and book our own room. The club lounge is very nice. 

Taxis in Athens are not expensive and the ride to the port was only around twenty minutes. 

Last November in Athens we stayed at the XENODOCHEIO MILOS hotel. We enjoyed it and would book it again. The hotel also has an excellent fresh seafood restaurant.

Dave

17 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

When you are booked in a Regent hotel is breakfast included?   We will be at the Intercontinental in Miami.

If you’re booked by Regent as part of the cruise breakfast is included, along with transfer to the ship. If you booked it yourself you’re on your own. 

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

When you are booked in a Regent hotel is breakfast included?   We will be at the Intercontinental in Miami.

We were booked by Regent at The Intercontinental last December.  The hotel and breakfast were quite acceptable.  What was not, was the coordination for the transfer to the pier.  The Regent desk at the hotel will assign a bus #, but, no matter your number, all passengers will congregate willy nilly when bus # arrives.  The bus driver will not check your number, so those that push harder will go in first.  This was our experience.  I would recommend you get a taxi to the pier, which is not at all far from the hotel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

We were booked by Regent at The Intercontinental last December.  The hotel and breakfast were quite acceptable.  What was not, was the coordination for the transfer to the pier.  The Regent desk at the hotel will assign a bus #, but, no matter your number, all passengers will congregate willy nilly when bus # arrives.  The bus driver will not check your number, so those that push harder will go in first.  This was our experience.  I would recommend you get a taxi to the pier, which is not at all far from the hotel.

We did the same thing in Vancouver. We used Uber which was much faster and cheaper than a taxi. But we arrived before the bus full of transfers. 

Btw our luggage was still picked up from our hotel room and transported to our suite. 

Edited by ChucktownSteve

16 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We did the same thing in Vancouver. We used Uber which was much faster and cheaper than a taxi. But we arrived before the bus full of transfers. 

Btw our luggage was still picked up from our hotel room and transported to our suite. 

Seems to be the best of both worlds. Faster, more comfortable arrival with no luggage to weigh you down. Likely what we'll do later this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all, especially the info on the Divani Caravelle.  I have stayed at the Grande Bretagne in the past, and at the Hilton too.  Like the location of the former more than the latter.  Hotels were both OK but the décor of the GB is a bit "early brothel" for my taste!!

On Splendor we are in a Grand Suite and Regent says boarding at 1200 with access to suite at 1300.  So I would like to get to the port early and will probably take a taxi.    Really appreciated the info on the assigned bus numbers and the melée to get on the bus!