Allocation of Plus drinks to two people on one account

lorri111

I know this must have been answered but how do you order drinks for two of you and not have them charged to just one account? If you are at a bar do you hand over both medallions? I often send my husband up to get drinks for both of us while I am elsewhere. And if ordering via app and you order 2 will both be charged to your account and not split between you and partner? I don't think we will get near limit but don't want the hassle of having them all end up on just one account.,

11 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

I know this must have been answered but how do you order drinks for two of you and not have them charged to just one account? If you are at a bar do you hand over both medallions? I often send my husband up to get drinks for both of us while I am elsewhere. And if ordering via app and you order 2 will both be charged to your account and not split between you and partner? I don't think we will get near limit but don't want the hassle of having them all end up on just one account.,

Unless you specifically ask - and see - the bartender to charge the drinks separately - they'll generally be charged to one of you, whomever orders 

You can take both medallions with you to the bar- but usually, the bartenders just ask for your room number - they don't scan the medallions themselves.

When ordering drinks via app - each of you order via your own app and that way they'll be allocated correctly. If you order 2 drinks via one app, they'll be charged to that app's count.

The POS tablet will pick up the Medallion that is nearest and the bartender will match the face of the person that is front of them to the the photo that appears on the tablet and all drinks will be charged against that person's drink limit.  If you want to split the "tab" then you have have to verbally tell the bartender your cabin number and tell them to charge each drink to each occupant.  There's no handing over the Medallion; the signal is picked up by the tablet using the "airwaves." Theoretically, you could have your husband tote your Medallion to the bar so it will populate the tablet as well, but the bartender will still be confused because the face that appears on the tablet won't match any of the people that's in front of them; it still requires explaining on the part of the passenger.

Or you could just take turns going to the bar to pick up the drinks to ensure even distribution.

We didn't worry too much about it, because we didn't even reach 15 drinks a day between the two of us.

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet

You don't hand over medallions. The technology is such that you only need to keep it close to you and the bartender will know who you are. 

It only really matters if you are getting close to your limit so I wouldn't worry about it but if it does concern you just ask the bartender to split the drinks.

What happens if next day you notice that out of the 20 drinks both me & the hubby consumed the day before, 17 have been allocated to his medallion and only 3 to mine?

Are you able to go to Guest Services and get the drinks reallocated?

55 minutes ago, L74 said:

What happens if next day you notice that out of the 20 drinks both me & the hubby consumed the day before, 17 have been allocated to his medallion and only 3 to mine?

Yes - this happened to us a couple of times and Guest Services resolved it.  The app chat feature is handy for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L74 said:

Not sure, we usually trade off getting drinks, and order on the app. 

We make it a point to ask to have the drinks allocated one to each account. Usually they get the clue after a while. The do it to one account since it takes less time and is easier. Since we each average about 10 drinks a day that doesn’t work. You can check how many drinks are on an account by looking on your app

12 hours ago, L74 said:

It depends on which ship you are on.  It's happened to us a few of times, mostly the first day when bartenders are so busy.  They have removed the charges all but one time.  That time I had 16 charges, and my wife had three.  They told me to make sure to get both medallions charged next time.   

• Like 1

Do you actually have separate accounts each? 

Our onboard accounts are linked so no matter which account it goes on it only results in one payment. I set up the account and at the end of the cruise the balance on my husband's account is transferred to mine then the total is charged to our credit card. So it really doesn't matter who pays for the drinks. 

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Do you actually have separate accounts each? 

Our onboard accounts are linked so no matter which account it goes on it only results in one payment. I set up the account and at the end of the cruise the balance on my husband's account is transferred to mine then the total is charged to our credit card. So it really doesn't matter who pays for the drinks. 

It matters if you have a package.  If you have a package, then the included number of drinks is 15 per person per day.  If one person goes over, the drink counter doesn't roll over to the other person occupying the cabin.  Instead, the person who went over the 15 limit, starts to get charged for drinks while the other person's drink package goes untouched.  Theoretically, the same person could keep ordering until the 15 drink limit is reached and then the other person would have to order drinks for the day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

It matters if you have a package.  If you have a package, then the included number of drinks is 15 per person per day.  If one person goes over, the drink counter doesn't roll over to the other person occupying the cabin.  Instead, the person who went over the 15 limit, starts to get charged for drinks while the other person's drink package goes untouched.  Theoretically, the same person could keep ordering until the 15 drink limit is reached and then the other person would have to order drinks for the day.

I guess we never reach that limit. But if we did have that many alcohol drinks we'd probably just alternate who "paid" for those drinks so it would work our fairly even in the end. It just takes a little bit of thought and planning.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

19 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Thanks for clarifying!

Take turns getting up to get drinks.  My husband admittedly goes to the bar more often than I do, so when we order through the Medallion, I place the order to help even it out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I guess we never reach that limit. But if we did have that many alcohol drinks we'd probably just alternate who "paid" for those drinks so it would work our fairly even in the end. It just takes a little bit of thought and planning.

Not all couples are together all the time we are often doing different things   We hate having to constantly check our folio to see where the drinks are being charged to and how many each has left. That is why we insist that they put one on each account when we are together any bartenders who won’t do it will see their end of cruise tip envelope empty. Waiters in the specialty restaurants also have a bad habit of charging both meals to the man’s account same with bottles of wine. We operate our lives with 2 checking accounts and different credit cards so these things do make a difference 

• Like 1

You can ask them to put it on your cabin mates account. I get drinks for my fiance all the time and my account will get run up late in the afternoon on sea days and I just start asking the bartender to put it on her tab

We had this issue last year when there were 3 of us in a cabin. Especially at meals, all the wine went in DHs tab. He went over one night and it took 4 trips to guest services to get it resolved. He also dealt with a rude guest services person, who basically said he was drunk and didn’t remember what he ordered. We mentioned him by name in our survey but no response from Princess. Next time, we will be more in top of it. 

I get the Medallion might make it easier to order drinks (still don't see why it's so hard to hand over a cruise card hand have the BT swipe it), but it's not exactly good accounting acumen. 

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I get the Medallion might make it easier to order drinks (still don't see why it's so hard to hand over a cruise card hand have the BT swipe it), but it's not exactly good accounting acumen. 

They never had to swipe it just plug it in. The medallion is best for unlocking your door otherwise it pretty much acts like the cruise card did although it is smaller takes up less room in you pocket and at the slot machines you don’t have to keep anything in the machine   Many people confuse the medallion with the app which is the real game changer since it lets you check your folio, look at MDR dinner menus in the morning and find the location of your traveling companions to mention just a few

Taking our first cruise with a package in June. It seems that it would be a great idea if they would give you the option to pool all of your drink credits for those with Plus/Premium in one cabin. Of course, that wouldn't work if you were friends rather than a couple but it would be great to have the option. Just trying to think of an option that leaves me with nothing to worry about lol

You can see easily in your onboard app how many have been charged to each account.  We are onboard Regal now.  We just check the app in each evening when we have lost count 😜 and can make adjustments to whose account gets the next round of charges very easily and quickly. The bartenders will happily scan both medallions or select on the screen one for each if preferred. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:22 AM, rslrhu said:

Yes - this happened to us a couple of times and Guest Services resolved it.  The app chat feature is handy for this.

I always went to guest serv. to get it corrected but it was before 5 AM when there weren't any crowds. I'll try and use the chat feature next cruise. 

Did you use it during a crowded time of day?