Silver Nova Restaurants and Bars - a few questions

BBGrace273

I will be on the Nova for the Vancouver to Tokyo Sept 12th, 2024 cruise and I am wondering if there is anywhere I can find info on actual hours of operation for the various bars and restos. I can only seem to find things like, "open for lunch and dinner," "all day," or "open late". I could have sworn I saw the restaurant info somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it anymore.

Also, since this is my first ever cruise, I was wondering about reservations at S.A.L.T. Lab, and the S.A.L.T. Chef's Table. All the info online says to reserve as soon as you board. I don't really have any idea what boarding is really like. Is it like a cattle call wave on board? One group at a time? Since I'm not VIP at all, and just in a veranda, will there even be any shot at getting a spot at either? And speaking of the Lab, is it like a meal, or a cooking class for a particular dish? Does it occur at lunchtime? Dinner? Some other time during the day? 

And last question, is there a difference in La Dame and Kaiseki on Nova that changes the upcharge from $60 to 160, and $40 to 80? Is it that it doesn't include the drink pairings on the other ships, but now on Nova it automatically does?

Thanks for any help! 

Lunch starts at noon in all restaurants. It closes at 1:30pm in the main dining room, Atlantide. Later in the others. The Grill stays open the longest, i think until around 3 or 3:30pm. No reservations are required anywhere at lunch.
Dinner starts at 7pm everywhere except Silver Note, which starts at 8pm. Dinner closes at 9:30pm in most of the restaurants. Later in Silver Note.

Go to the reception area when you board to ask about SALT lab sign-ups. They will have the menus and times. It is a cooking class with stations for each participant. You can eat what you have prepared.
Not sure how you sign up for SALT Chefs Table. Haven't done it.
There is no class system on Silversea. Boarding usually starts at 2pm for everyone, sometimes earlier. The earlier you go to reception the better your chances are to sign-up.
Also, the restaurant manager is usually at a desk in the reception area. You can line up to talk to him/her about getting any dinner reservations you could not book online. I know you can also ask your butler, but butlers are very busy on embarkation day and won't get to this until long after you could handle it yourself on boarding.
Can't answer the Nova questions. Haven't been on it.
Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think you have probably answered this question, but I really enjoyed Silver Note on the Muse and it is probably the main place I want to reserve on the Nova. (some nights I want to play by ear) I was wondering about the time to reserve to be there when the music is happening. But if reservations don't open until 8, then I guess that's the time to reserve.

11 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

I will be on the Nova for the Vancouver to Tokyo Sept 12th, 2024 cruise and I am wondering if there is anywhere I can find info on actual hours of operation for the various bars and restos. I can only seem to find things like, "open for lunch and dinner," "all day," or "open late". I could have sworn I saw the restaurant info somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it anymore.

Also, since this is my first ever cruise, I was wondering about reservations at S.A.L.T. Lab, and the S.A.L.T. Chef's Table. All the info online says to reserve as soon as you board. I don't really have any idea what boarding is really like. Is it like a cattle call wave on board? One group at a time? Since I'm not VIP at all, and just in a veranda, will there even be any shot at getting a spot at either? And speaking of the Lab, is it like a meal, or a cooking class for a particular dish? Does it occur at lunchtime? Dinner? Some other time during the day? 

And last question, is there a difference in La Dame and Kaiseki on Nova that changes the upcharge from $60 to 160, and $40 to 80? Is it that it doesn't include the drink pairings on the other ships, but now on Nova it automatically does?

Thanks for any help! 

SALT Lab classes are mid morning and/or mid afternoon.  Sign up was actually at the Lab with the chef between certain hours.  Those times were in the daily program left in your cabin on arrival day.  I did a few, and really loved them.  You can sign up for two classes, but then wait list for two more.  If you still miss out, it is worth going down on the day in case someone doesn't turn up.  There are usually two people per station, sometimes just one.  When there was someone waiting in hope, I joined a fellow guest I knew so that he could join in.

Vista bar opens at 4:00pm and closes around midnight.  Panorama lounge opens at 9:00am as it is also a tea and coffee venue.  Closing time depends on how many people are still there, so perhaps midnight, 1:00am, etc.

• Thanks 1

I was on Nova back in November and I did sign up for The Chef's Table. Trying to think back....I believe I went to Guest Relations and they were the ones to help me. So I would go see them. 

The nice thing about ships that don't carry 1,000's of people.....I have never felt like I was on a "Cattle Call" for anything.  I usually just get a regular veranda and never had any issues. .Boarding is usually painless and it doesn't matter what category of cabin you have booked.

You asked about the Salt Lab.......usually it is certain dishes that the Chef's has chosen, relating to the region the cruise is going on. I also went to a session for the Lab. I think we made 3 or 4 dishes. It is more like a cooking class.......I have always found it very fun😀

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

I was on Nova back in November and I did sign up for The Chef's Table. Trying to think back....I believe I went to Guest Relations and they were the ones to help me. So I would go see them. 

The nice thing about ships that don't carry 1,000's of people.....I have never felt like I was on a "Cattle Call" for anything.  I usually just get a regular veranda and never had any issues. .Boarding is usually painless and it doesn't matter what category of cabin you have booked.

You asked about the Salt Lab.......usually it is certain dishes that the Chef's has chosen, relating to the region the cruise is going on. I also went to a session for the Lab. I think we made 3 or 4 dishes. It is more like a cooking class.......I have always found it very fun😀

Thanks, @Lois R! I read both @Catlover54 's review thread, and then also yours, and @JSR's live grand journey. (I've done a lot of reading😀) Thanks to all 3 of you for all your insight and help for my preparation.  I know since it's my first cruise I should relax a little, but that's just not my personality type. Plan, plan, plan!!! Deep down, I know that I will have fun no matter what, as I, 1) won't be at work,  2) get to go back to Japan,  3) spend time with my awesome dad, and 4) won't be at work. 😉

All the best!

BB Grace

On the Nova in Jan/Feb the Panorama did not open until 11 on sea days or about  2 pm port days. The ability to get coffee there was sorely missed as the Arts Cafe was a zoo pretty much all day every day before noon (and the outdoor bars, which were open early, were freezing for much of our cruise).

We ate at the Chef's Table. Arranged it at reception a day or two into the cruise. At that point it was available most nights. It's a great concept and the chef/host was great, but the menu and food need some work.

I went to reception the morning after sail away and was able to get reservations for Salt Lab. Dinner at Silver Note before 9 pm was the only reservation we found difficult to get onboard.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, irvington said:

I think you have probably answered this question, but I really enjoyed Silver Note on the Muse and it is probably the main place I want to reserve on the Nova. (some nights I want to play by ear) I was wondering about the time to reserve to be there when the music is happening. But if reservations don't open until 8, then I guess that's the time to reserve.

We also very much enjoy Silver Note. We were on Silver Dawn earlier this month and dined at 'Note' twice.

The booking tends to be a one hour window ie our reservations were for 8pm-9pm on both occasions. You can arrive any time in that window. Once we were there bang on 8pm, the other around 20:30.

From memory the pianist played until 9pm, then the singer arrived and performed for around 45 minutes IIRC, so we enjoyed the full 'show' on both occasions, despite arriving 30 minutes later than the other.    

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BBGrace273 said:

Sorry @jmalux is this linkable? It seems like it is from the mysilversea website, but I cannot seem to find it on there anywhere myself. 

Ok @jmalux, I got it. You are onboard right now! Thanks so much for taking the time to send this to me. I hope you are enjoying yourself. Are you getting off the ship in Lima, or doing a B2B? I was in Peru in Dec. 2022. Sadly, that's when the government kinda collapsed for a few days, and there were serious riots that closed all the trains, major highways, and airports for about a week. I was stuck in a hotel in Cusco, with instructions from the US Embassy and State Dept. to not leave for several days in a row. Scary at the time, and most of my trip ended up being cancelled (no Machu Picchu for me 😞) but it's a pretty cool story now!

Edited by BBGrace273
Typos

2 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

Sorry @jmalux is this linkable? It seems like it is from the mysilversea website, but I cannot seem to find it on there anywhere myself. 

No, it is not linkable. It is print screens of today’s electronic version of the Chronicles. It is available via mycruise.com, which is only accessible while onboard. 

2 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

Ok @jmalux, I got it. You are onboard right now! Thanks so much for taking the time to send this to me. I hope you are enjoying yourself. Are you getting off the ship in Lima, or doing a B2B? I was in Peru in Dec. 2022. Sadly, that's when the government kinda collapsed for a few days, and there were serious riots that closed all the trains, major highways, and airports for about a week. I was stuck in a hotel in Cusco, with instructions from the US Embassy and State Dept. to not leave for several days in a row. Scary at the time, and most of my trip ended up being cancelled (no Machu Picchu for me 😞) but it's a pretty cool story now!

We fly home immediately after disembarkation in Lima on Sunday. It has been a fabulous cruise with gorgeous weather and very smooth sea. Nova is fantastic, so spacious and great staff and food. 

The only disappointment was the paid dinners in La Dame and Kaseiki, which were not worth the money. We have previously enjoyed dinners in these restaurants on Moon and Muse, but not here. 

The eleven course menu at Chef’s Table was a very nice experience, and worth paying extra for. 

• Like 2

Thank you @jmalux for posting those snaps! I'm on the same cruise as @BBGrace273 and have been slurping up any info on the Nova (not our first cruise but first w/ Silversea). I'm glad to see Kaiseki's hours are actually quite reasonable with last seating at 2:30pm. DH and I have too high of expectations of food from our traveling, based on everything we've seen we don't plan on paying extra for any of the meals. Also, we don't drink and always feel repulsed by any restaurant that don't let you opt out.

Hope you have a smooth journey home!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 8:41 PM, irvington said:

If you're unable to obtain a reservation to dine at Silver Note, you can still stop by after dinner elsewhere to have a beverage and enjoy the show.   

• Like 1