No Pre Cruise Hotel announcement yet

On Grandeur July 11, 2024 Monte Carlo to Barcelona.  Entire ship wait listed. 

Full payment due and paid on March 13.  As of April 2, 2024 still NO Monte Carlo HOTEL announced with transfer to ship as advertised. 

CONCIERGE SUITES AND HIGHER INCLUDE: FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Hotel Package and more.

No explanation or time frame from Regent or TA other than they are working on it.  Is this normal? 

If Regent fails to deliver, will they reimburse Monte Carlo hotel and transfer we may have to make on our own?

Thanks.

Book your own hotel, especially one you would like to try.   The Marriott brands let you cancel up to 24 hrs. before your stay and I assume others also allow this.   If you like what Regent offers when they get around to it you can cancel the reservation you made. 

We had no hotel allocated for our July trip to Iceland.  We did, though, get a letter, out of the blue, saying they wouldn't be providing hotel and transfers and it was up to us to organise it ourselves.  We had a £150pp "goodwill gesture", which will cover the hotel but not the transfers too, and there is $200pp on board credit, which is about as much use to us as a chocolate teapot.  Had we known this when we booked a) I wouldn't have booked concierge, and b) The cost of booking a hotel would have been less.  Regent are unwilling to cover any extra costs we incur regarding transfers.  The letters were sent out a few days after the window for a full refund closed.  They really couldn’t care less.  It's our first cruise with Regent, and probably our last, as I'm seriously unimpressed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SellaVee said:

"... The letters were sent out a few days after the window for a full refund closed..."

The cheerleaders always want to assure us that this is a pure coincidence.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SellaVee, I think your situation is HORRIBLE!   Mine may be as well.  I am very concerned and surprised Regent can get away with this!!  Monte Carlo hotel is very expensive.  Did you have travel insurance and did they cover your additional costs?

20 hours ago, lascott said:

On Grandeur July 11, 2024 Monte Carlo to Barcelona.  Entire ship wait listed. 

Full payment due and paid on March 13.  As of April 2, 2024 still NO Monte Carlo HOTEL announced with transfer to ship as advertised. 

CONCIERGE SUITES AND HIGHER INCLUDE: FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Hotel Package and more.

No explanation or time frame from Regent or TA other than they are working on it.  Is this normal? 

If Regent fails to deliver, will they reimburse Monte Carlo hotel and transfer we may have to make on our own?

Thanks.

Don't panic, they'll let you know.  We got our assignment on our Preliminary Cruise Summary that came about 60 days prior to the cruise.  

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Don't panic, they'll let you know.  We got our assignment on our Preliminary Cruise Summary that came about 60 days prior to the cruise.  

That's pretty normal in my experience. The two times I used the included hotel I was notified between 6 and 4 weeks. Both times we were just looking for a place to shake off our jet lag, and the hotels were fine for that.

• Like 1

We have had exactly the same happen to us as Sellavee. We didn’t even get notification. I phoned my TA to make sure all was OK a with our booking and when she contacted Regent that’s when we found out. I think Regent has behaved very badly. £200pp compensation is derisory-transfers alone will cost about £150 which leaves £250 for a hotel. In future I will book an F1 grade (which on this cruise was about £800pp cheaper) and arrange my own hotel and transfers, This is not our first Regent cruise, we are gold level, How did they decide who to ‘bump’. I can’t believe it’s every passenger that booked a concierge class cabin.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 5:17 AM, pingpong1 said:

The cheerleaders always want to assure us that this is a pure coincidence.  🙄

No one said that on the relevant thread (link below). In fact no one was cheerleading or defending Regent in any way over this particular issue.

For U.K. guests the notification was given prior to final payment date (90 days prior to embarkation) ………………. but for those in the U.K. guest cancellation at any time leads to loss of deposit 🙁

12 hours ago, Grandma Gilly said:

I can’t believe it’s every passenger that booked a concierge class cabin.

The Concierge Cabin is the cheapest cabin where a night is included, so it makes sense that these cabins would be the first bumped.  Then Penthouse, etc. in order of cabin cost. Like the airlines, the bumping won't start with First Class, it'll start with the lowest cost economy seats. 

Was it "every" Concierge Cabin?  Who knows?  If not, then could be date cabin was booked.  

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

The Concierge Cabin is the cheapest cabin where a night is included, so it makes sense that these cabins would be the first bumped.  Then Penthouse, etc. in order of cabin cost. Like the airlines, the bumping won't start with First Class, it'll start with the lowest cost economy seats. 

Was it "every" Concierge Cabin?  Who knows?  If not, then could be date cabin was booked.  

Yes. Would be good to know. Also there are two grades of concierge-we booked the higher one and cruise was booked ages ago.

10 hours ago, flossie009 said:

No one said that on the relevant thread (link below). In fact no one was cheerleading or defending Regent in any way over this particular issue.

For U.K. guests the notification was given prior to final payment date (90 days prior to embarkation) ………………. but for those in the U.K. guest cancellation at any time leads to loss of deposit 🙁

Flossie009, 

I was under the impression that consumer laws in the United Kingdom would require the cruise line to provide a full refund if they make a substantial change to the itinerary. So, I’m thinking that passengers from the UK might get a full refund instead of losing their deposit.

What are your thoughts?

17 hours ago, Grandma Gilly said:

I think Regent has behaved very badly. £200pp compensation is derisory-transfers alone will cost about £150 which leaves £250 for a hotel.

The compensation we were offered was only £150pp, not £200, leaving £150 for a hotel. Did you get a better deal?

For our recent cruise leaving out of San Juan, we had not received the hotel info 6 weeks out, so I booked a room "just-in-case".  Regent assigned us to a hotel about a week later, so I cancelled my hotel booking.  I thought Regent should have been able to provide the hotel assignment much earlier, as others on CC had received their hotel assignments.

Jerry

5 hours ago, Grandma Gilly said:

Yes. Would be good to know. Also there are two grades of concierge-we booked the higher one and cruise was booked ages ago.

The "higher grade" Concierge is simply a better location on the ship. Otherwise there are no differences in Concierge cabins.  But again, I don't know how they decide who to cancel for hotels as it's really a pretty rare thing.  But I imagine it's Concierge first (maybe the lower grade, maybe not) and I would think it would be based on when the reservation was made.  But honestly this is a very rare situation so I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again. 

45 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

The "higher grade" Concierge is simply a better location on the ship. Otherwise there are no differences in Concierge cabins.  But again, I don't know how they decide who to cancel for hotels as it's really a pretty rare thing.  But I imagine it's Concierge first (maybe the lower grade, maybe not) and I would think it would be based on when the reservation was made.  But honestly this is a very rare situation so I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again. 

I accept that it’s happened but to offer us £150pp compensation plus $200pp OBC is the wrong way to handle things. It does not equate to transfers from Keflavik to Reykavik and an overnight including breakfast at a decent hotel. As Sellavee said, the OBC is as much use as a chocolate teapot. Oh well, the kids will be getting another bottle of aftershave each.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grandma Gilly said:

I accept that it’s happened but to offer us £150pp compensation plus $200pp OBC is the wrong way to handle things. It does not equate to transfers from Keflavik to Reykavik and an overnight including breakfast at a decent hotel. As Sellavee said, the OBC is as much use as a chocolate teapot. Oh well, the kids will be getting another bottle of aftershave each.

Actually their Hotel/Transportation allowance is only $150 per person in the U.S. (or that's what it used to be).  So 150 pounds plus $200 OBC seems pretty fair.  How much should you be reimbursed? 

57 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Actually their Hotel/Transportation allowance is only $150 per person in the U.S. (or that's what it used to be).  So 150 pounds plus $200 OBC seems pretty fair.  How much should you be reimbursed? 

Transportation from airport to town is approx. £150 which leaves £150 for overnight hotel (Regent one is usually 4* or sometimes 5*) plus breakfast and transportation to ship. Maybe my maths not that good!!!

anyway it’s a matter of principle. If we can afford a Regent cruise we can pay the extra but that’s not the point. Regent have broken their contract with us

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grandma Gilly said:

Transportation from airport to town is approx. £150 which leaves £150 for overnight hotel (Regent one is usually 4* or sometimes 5*) plus breakfast and transportation to ship. Maybe my maths not that good!!!

anyway it’s a matter of principle. If we can afford a Regent cruise we can pay the extra but that’s not the point. Regent have broken their contract with us

I imagine they haven't actually "broken their contract" with anyone, that would result in legitimate legal action. 😎

Not really unsympathetic at all and certainly understand your position.  But if they refund their cost of a hotel and give you $200 each OBC they're pretty much compensating you for the inconvenience.  Anyway, not trying to beat a dead horse here but simply was pointing out that the 150 pounds per person is what they credit if you opt out of the included hotel and transfer.  That was it.  

Try taking the matter higher and see if you can get further compensation.  Let us know if that works.  It would be good info for the future. 

9 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I imagine they haven't actually "broken their contract" with anyone, that would result in legitimate legal action. 😎

Not really unsympathetic at all and certainly understand your position.  But if they refund their cost of a hotel and give you $200 each OBC they're pretty much compensating you for the inconvenience.  Anyway, not trying to beat a dead horse here but simply was pointing out that the 150 pounds per person is what they credit if you opt out of the included hotel and transfer.  That was it.  

Try taking the matter higher and see if you can get further compensation.  Let us know if that works.  It would be good info for the future. 

I beg to differ.  They offered a first class hotel in the city of departure, as a perk that cost a lot more than the credit that was given.  Moreover, I don’t think they can universally say the hotel is worth the same in each city.  Hotels in Reykjavik are extremely expensive compared to other departure cities.  The credit should have been enough to book an equivalent hotel and the shuttle,  Now, in deference to Regent, their transportation is not a private car but is a bus, and the bus shuttle is about $36/pp.  We booked Concierge but got a deal that excluded the hotel.  The hotel we booked (our choice and maybe not what others would book) was three times the amount given as a credit to others.

As for taking it higher, those that did were offered a 3* airport hotel about 50 miles to town, with absolutely nothing to do in the area, plus a bus transfer with no credits.  Regent really screwed some people here and no one should find a white lining in what they did.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bruce61 said:

I beg to differ.  They offered a first class hotel in the city of departure, as a perk that cost a lot more than the credit that was given.  Moreover, I don’t think they can universally say the hotel is worth the same in each city.  Hotels in Reykjavik are extremely expensive compared to other departure cities.  The credit should have been enough to book an equivalent hotel and the shuttle,  Now, in deference to Regent, their transportation is not a private car but is a bus, and the bus shuttle is about $36/pp.  We booked Concierge but got a deal that excluded the hotel.  The hotel we booked (our choice and maybe not what others would book) was three times the amount given as a credit to others.

As for taking it higher, those that did were offered a 3* airport hotel about 50 miles to town, with absolutely nothing to do in the area, plus a bus transfer with no credits.  Regent really screwed some people here and no one should find a white lining in what they did.  

Well, I'm no lawyer, but pretty sure Regent has at least one that helped right the Cruise Contract and I'm more confident than not that if I was to take Regent to court for violating the contract I'd pretty much lose. 

As for the amount enough to cover an equivalent room? Actually that hasn't been my experience. Now I can't speak for every port or hotel, but the times we've opted out we have done equally well getting a room and generally we upgrade (probably using the "extra" for transportation to cover it).  But that's just my experience.  

One more thing.  You actually DON'T know how much Regent pays per hotel room.  So to say that the  hotel costs "a lot more than the credit that was given."   I bet in reality it doesn't.  The credit is $300 per couple and I can get a room for about the same, I bet Regent can get it for even less.  

Anyway, kind of a moot point. It is what it is.  I don't necessarily disagree with you that it doesn't cover the cost we incur when you figure hotel plus transportation, but I do dislike anyone saying something like it's a "breach of contract" which has particular legal ramifications.  Everyone seems to like to throw those terms out, that or "bait and switch" and both carry severe legal penalties.  Anyway.... probably beat this one to death.

Happy cruising. 

So, PapaFlamingo, I am a lawyer.  

What the cruise line pays for a room - and I totally agree they get great rates when they book hundreds of rooms per week - has absolutely nothing to do with what they owe their customer.  And crafty lawyers can make someone sue in a court thousands of miles from their home, but they cannot change the basic promise of a contract - you agree to pay for something and I must give you that.  

In the case of a concierge or better suite, a passenger pays more for the suite for the promise of a hotel room - and in the case of Regent their advertising does not suggest you get a Residence Inn or Motel 6.   If the cruise line cannot give what they promised, they need to give an equal substitute regardless of what it costs the cruise line.  Or, arguably if they have some fine print or a valid excuse, then the extra money back should be refunded.

I will give you an easy example.  This is no different than if you prepaid for 100 gallons of gasoline.  It does not matter if the cost to the supplier goes up or down, you get the 100 gallons of gas regardless of what it costs the supplier for the price you paid.  

Anyway, this does not affect me.  I just cannot stand it when people claim the cruise line has no obligation to make it right.  

• Like 8

Bruce61,

Thank you so very much for your informative post.  I am the one who raised the concern of no “hotel announcement yet’’ on April 2, concerning my own cruise on July 11.  I realize it is still early, but neither Regent nor my TA has alleviated my concern with any kind of assurance that a hotel will be booked, or when.  Minimally, I expect a statement about time frame. 

I take it that you feel the Iceland situation of no hotel or transfer as promised is a breach of contract for which Regent is responsible? 

Your response is very much appreciated, as I wish to be proactive until the hotel situation is resolved.  Perhaps, I will contact Generali, my insurance company.  Thanks again.

The usual knee jerk reaction is referring people back to the “Terms and Conditions”. I have spent a good deal of my clinical life at a major medical school/hospital.  I have been involved in many clinical trials.  Obviously, since attorneys always get involved, there is a plethora of Informed Consents and Releases.  In over 40 years of practice, I can count on one hand the amount of people that read these documents and actually had a question or requested language struck.  

So in potential life and death situations, people do not read these documents.  

So in the case of a cruise line (whose primary responsibility is to their investor's), whom deliberately hide under foreign flags (to skirt taxes, labor laws and other regulatory issues) and make every effort to evade responsibility, the cheerleaders/defenders have developed the “Haven’t you read the Terms and Conditions” mantra.  I hope these same people remember that the next time they are having surgery, a procedure or entering a clinical trial.  

• Like 2