What about older people.....

DaMom

Thinking about a VV cruise next year with our son and his gf (late 20s). We are mid-60s/early 70s. Will we be the oldest people on the ship 😉 what's the actual age range on VV (as opposed to what they advertise to)? 

First, a lot depends on the cruise you select.  Spring break will be younger, shorter cruises will be younger.  VV released info that in 2022, the average sailor age was 43 with a range of 18-90s.  In my experience, I'd say that was about right, or just a little older in 2023--I saw some numbers from a TA, but nothing official and no time frame was given,  I'm 69, and have never been oneof the oldest people on the cruises I've done.

• Like 2

I was on a longer cruise recently.  Lots of 60‘s I’d say.  They were playing ABBA and KC and the Sunshine Band in the disco and it wasn’t oldies night so that should tell you something.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Age is just a number. It’s about attitude. If you’re young at heart you’ll have a blast. But know that VV is a very different experience to other lines.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 6

My mom just celebrated her 80th birthday with us for our first VV cruise, an 8 day Southern Caribbean sailing over Thanksgiving. She was the oldest person on board I believe but we had a blast! And now we’re ready to embark on the transatlantic (her first) in 2 weeks 🤗

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9493.jpeg

• Like 9

On 4/6/2024 at 6:41 AM, gumshoe958 said:

But know that VV is a very different experience to other lines.

I think it’s pretty comparable- nothing that different from my celebrity experiences - pros and cons to both. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 7:57 PM, DaMom said:

Thinking about a VV cruise next year with our son and his gf (late 20s). We are mid-60s/early 70s. Will we be the oldest people on the ship 😉 what's the actual age range on VV (as opposed to what they advertise to)? 

We've met folks from 18 to 90+ on our sailings. If I were to guess, I would peg the median age at 50 for the four sailings we've taken so far. It skews younger on the 4 nighters and older on the 6 and 8 nighters. VV is for those who are young at heart, age is irrelevant. 🙂

Edited by CruisingWalter

5 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

We've met folks from 18 to 90+ on our sailings. If I were to guess, I would peg the median age at 50 for the four sailings we've taken so far. It skews younger on the 4 nighters and older on the 6 and 8 nighters. VV is for those who are young at heart, age is irrelevant. 🙂

Thanks, Walter! I watched one of your videos and that was quite helpful as well!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 1:14 PM, bdever said:

My mom just celebrated her 80th birthday with us for our first VV cruise, an 8 day Southern Caribbean sailing over Thanksgiving. She was the oldest person on board I believe but we had a blast! And now we’re ready to embark on the transatlantic (her first) in 2 weeks 🤗

IMG_9190.jpeg

Your mom looks amazing for 80! See you on the T/A! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 or 5 day cruises from miami will skew younger than 7 days out of san juan or things like that. The only people of any age I've seen not having a good time are the older people who are so used to cruising on the more traditional lines that they hate anything that's different about Virgin. Seems some just see "no kids" and think its going to be a red themed Holland America

• Like 2

Yeah, my best advice is to take VV for what it is and not to compare it to other lines.  Don't play "VV does this better than Disney" or Celebrity does that better than VV."  Each line is different, and if you are totally loyal to another line, you may not like something new.  But if you are open to seeing what this line is all about, there is a lot of good.  There is also room for improvement.

My sis is getting off in the morning, and emailed me tonight.  Her verdict was that, while there were some things she didn't like, she was glad she'd done it and had done a rebooking while on board for another cruise. (she's 64, husband is 63)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Don't play "VV does this better than Disney" or Celebrity does that better than VV.

I do that constantly. When I’m on VV I miss things about Celebrity and when I’m on Celebrity I miss things about VV lol. 

im not sure what comparisons shouldn’t be made.  

27 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

I do that constantly. When I’m on VV I miss things about Celebrity and when I’m on Celebrity I miss things about VV lol. 

im not sure what comparisons shouldn’t be made.  

I think the problem comparison is when someone allows their trip to be ruined by it and constantly things “this isn’t as good as it was on X” or “X did it this way and that was better” or “I’d be much happier with a drinks package”. 

comparing things is fine, but allowing the comparison to ruin the thing you are currently doing is counter-productive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jon81uk said:

comparing things is fine, but allowing the comparison to ruin the thing you are currently doing is counter-productive.

Well said.  No, VV isn't perfect, and some things are personal taste.  I think they are most comparable to Celebrity (of the lines we've cruised), but Celebrity today is not as good as Celebrity 10 years ago IMHO.    VV gets a lot of things right and does a lot of things the way I like them.  But they get some things wrong too--again, my opinion.
Example--Crown Grill on Princess is better than The Wake.  But I'm also not paying an extra $50 for that meal.   And we did once have a bad meal at Crown Grill.  I like the VV "almost all included" plan more than the "pay extra for everything" plan or the "here's a collection of things you can buy extra as a group"  because VV includes the things I'd be buying anyhow and not a drink package that I wouldn't get value out of....but again, that's me.  Someone else may think "free at sea" is the best thing going.
to each his own......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cantgetin said:

I think they are most comparable to Celebrity (of the lines we've cruised), but Celebrity today is not as good as Celebrity 10 years ago IMHO.   

Example--Crown Grill on Princess is better than The Wake.  But I'm also not paying an extra $50 for that meal.   And we did once have a bad meal at Crown Grill.  I like the VV "almost all included" plan more than the "pay extra for everything" plan or the "here's a collection of things you can buy extra as a group"  because VV includes the things I'd be buying anyhow and not a drink package that I wouldn't get value out of....but again, that's me.  Someone else may think "free at sea" is the best thing going.
to each his own......

My last cruise on Celebrity was the end of January 2020 right before everything went down hill. Everything was great on that cruise for the friends and I that all traveled together. I don't know about now but I definitely feel that Celebrity and Virgin are the closest comparisons.

As to the Crown Grill - I ate there in April of 2023 and also in October of 2022. Two different ships and my steaks both times weren't cooked the way I asked for them. I like them warm rare and each time they came out medium or medium well. On my April cruise I think the chef got pissed and just slapped it on the grill, flipped and then sent it out. I shocked the waiter when I told it was great, because I will eat it that way. On the October one, it took 2 steaks to get it to at least a medium rare. At least at the Wake when I tell them I would like my steak cooked Pittsburgh style and rare they know exactly what I want and it comes out perfect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

I just think it’s funny that so many people act like Virgin is beyond compare to other lines.  They do some things better, and some things worse but at the end of the day it’s pretty much the same.  

Perhaps taken as a whole, that's true.  But for some people, Virgin is better suited than the other lines (and for some people, the other lines are better suited to them).  It's fine to say that "Virgin is beyond compare to other lines", for *you*.  That doesn't mean it will be true for everyone.  But it certainly can be a true statement for that person.  I've tried 3 different lines (all within the past year), and Virgin is beyond compare to Celebrity and Norweigan for me, at least for my small sample of one each of the other two.

2 hours ago, aviators99 said:

Perhaps taken as a whole, that's true.  But for some people, Virgin is better suited than the other lines (and for some people, the other lines are better suited to them).  It's fine to say that "Virgin is beyond compare to other lines", for *you*.  That doesn't mean it will be true for everyone.  But it certainly can be a true statement for that person.  I've tried 3 different lines (all within the past year), and Virgin is beyond compare to Celebrity and Norweigan for me, at least for my small sample of one each of the other two.

Can I ask why? I find Virgin and Celebrity very comparable with Celebrity having nicer rooms, better over all service and Virgin having better quality food and beverage ingredients, better quality entertainment and a lovely lack of announcements, upsells, and children lol.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Can I ask why? I find Virgin and Celebrity very comparable with Celebrity having nicer rooms, better over all service and Virgin having better quality food and beverage ingredients, better quality entertainment and a lovely lack of announcements, upsells, and children lol.  

For me the main thing was the food.  The food was pretty bad on Celebrity.  Frozen vegitables.  I thought our "Concierge Balcony" room on Celebrity was about the same size as our Sea Terrace on Virgin, and although there was more variety of entertainment on Celebrity, the style of entertainment on Virgin was more my personal style.  But I would say it was 80% the food and 20% the vibe.

frozenVegitables.jpg

• Like 2

Celebrity had nicer rooms other than the hammock....which makes VV a winner in my book.  Celebrity had the best buffet I've seen on a cruise ship, but I prefer The Galley to a buffet--would like to see more day to day change up there though.  Soda package on Celebrity was a pain. Everything was in cans and they would not give you a whole can at dinner.  THey poured it into a tiny glass which held about half the can and I'm convinced they were rationing by making you wait 45 minutes for a refill.  We asked several times to have the can left--nope, no can do.  

Entertainment....there were parts of each that I liked. We tend to cruise while schools are in session, so few or no kids on Celebrity, even though they were allowed.    But...great service on VV, great food, almost all inclusive structure, great DBE perks made them come out on top in my book.  No announcements, no sales, etc.

I'd go on Celebrity again for the right itinerary and price....ditto VV where I have another booked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviators99 said:

For me the main thing was the food.  The food was pretty bad on Celebrity.  Frozen vegitables.  I thought our "Concierge Balcony" room on Celebrity was about the same size as our Sea Terrace on Virgin, and although there was more variety of entertainment on Celebrity, the style of entertainment on Virgin was more my personal style.  But I would say it was 80% the food and 20% the vibe.

These are exactly as they were served...

chicken.jpg

steak.jpg