on board credit

tipsygirl

We are new to Silversea. Due to a special program when we booked we have  significant On Board credit. Can we use this when we are booking restaurants before we board for restaurants that have a charge?

• 2 weeks later...

We have $1000 OBC to spend on our next cruise in just over a week's time sailing on Sliver Wind.

We have booked all the excursions we want and are not spa/ massage people. Does the SS Wind have duty free shops on board?

Any other ideas on how to spend the OBC would be most helpful. 

Try something from the special wine list. Splurge a little. Something you'd never buy at home, but if you're playing with house money...

Do this early in the cruise, and the Somm will then keep an eye on you and probably offer you some nice stuff off the included list as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mklions said:

We have $1000 OBC to spend on our next cruise in just over a week's time sailing on Sliver Wind.

We have booked all the excursions we want and are not spa/ massage people. Does the SS Wind have duty free shops on board?

Any other ideas on how to spend the OBC would be most helpful. 

You can also spend in the boutique, so maybe some nice new clothes, SS merch, or some jewelery maybe! 

I 'think' also, that any remaining OBC could be passed to the crew fund, rather than losing it. 

Posted (edited)

Send out your laundry!  You can pack less - and it's always nicer to arrive home with your suitcase full of freshly laundered clothes. 

@mklions - Even if you're not spa people, I always spend some of my onboard credit to purchase the Elemis Aching Muscle products (bath soak and/or leg gel) they carry in the spa. Very helpful for recovery on a port-intensive or in your case an expedition cruise.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1

The boutiques on the expedition ships don't have much. Not like the ones on the classic ships. No, there are no duty free shops onboard but I think the boutique is supposed to be tax free because it is not open when the ship is in port.
I agree the suggestion of buying special wines.
Have you booked a dinner in La Dame?

If you don't get free laundry, you can use the OBC for the laundry service.

You can also use your OBC to book a private car to the airport at the end of the cruise, if you are not D2D.

Please note that the suggestion of using OBC for the crew fund is wrong. That doesn't work.

Posted (edited)

OBC comes in two types: refundable, and non-refundable. 

You could donate the former type to the crew fund, as it's real money that you could get back at the end of the cruise and take home with you. But not the latter.

I've had refundable OBC on occasion,  though most is non-refundable. Never an issue with us though, as we love spending OBC!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Haha 1

We are D2D so the taxi idea is out.

Maybe buy a few bottles of high end wine to take home? Trouble is I would not appreciate the difference between a $50 bottle and a $150 bottle so absolutely wasted on me.

Laundry is a good suggestion as we are in a standard deluxe veranda and do not get complimentary laundry.

La Dame, tried it a few times on previous cruises and not sure if it is worth it, but if it means using up our OBC then we should probably book that as well.

One question, can you book pre cruise for La Dame to use up some of the OBC or do you have to wait to book onboard to use it?

Maybe if available to purchase, I should look to buy one of those nice Expedition red coats, any idea of the cost?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 hour ago, mklions said:

One question, can you book pre cruise for La Dame to use up some of the OBC

Yes. You're not billed until you actually eat there (see above)

1 hour ago, mklions said:

Maybe if available to purchase, I should look to buy one of those nice Expedition red coats, any idea of the cost?

Have never seen them for sale. We've accumulated a few, from taking various expedition trips where they were included. You may have more luck on EBay but then, they don't take OBC I guess. And the ones there are all used...