Live from Regatta

judi666

8 hours ago, judi666 said:

I counted the wines by the glass on the menu at Waves and Terrace cafe, this afternoon. There were 8. Have not been to dinner yet, but still doubt there are 33.

I think the point I was making is that the choice is limited to very low end wines with the Simply More package. Obviously we could bring our own, and in fact we did. Some of the wines we tried are certainly drinkable, but others sub par. 

Im wondering why you care enough to be snarky about what I clearly stated  was my personal subjective opinion.  Your experience could have varied from mine, different ships, different cruise itinerary. 

Snarky??? Ok…sorry you feel that way. I think my point was in my first post I simply was disagreeing with your point there was not much selection and you yourself stated the wines were fine. After I pointed out the number of wines available, you then responded….well….they were actually not up to your standards which was never mentioned in your first post. If simply pointing out that you added this information on your second post thus changing your original post is snarky….ok…I guess. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

Hello one and all!

I have done two cruises with Oceania as a solo traveler.  20 days on the Sirena Winter 2023 and just returned from 40 days on the Insignia. (LA to Sydney.)  I have booked another 77 days for this coming January 2025 on the Insignia from Miami to Singapore. That should tell you something.

I found the food to be very good to excellent.  Sure, there were some misses, but they were rare.  I am not very picky and don't look for problems.   The staff on the ships were  fantastic.  I made sure to sit in the same section in the GDR for dinner and breakfast so generally had the same waiters which goes a long way towards having a superior dining experience.  

I loved the cruise director Dottie who worked hard and was very good with the passengers.  The tendering operations went well.  I pretty much did my own excursions often with fellow passengers.  I don't like being herded around on a crowded bus with guides who talk too much.  Best to do your own thing where you are independent and stop where you want when you want.  No waiting around for missing passengers who those who don't get back to the bus at the appointed time. And too, doing your own thing is a certainly cheaper than the ship sponsored tours.  I have never had a problem getting back to the ship on time.  Yes, I understand the consequences if you don't!  

What I didn't like:  The very annoying intrusive 2-3 announcements about what was going on for the day.  NOTE TO OCEANIA:  Passengers can read CURRENTS!!!   They are not blind! You will never hear such announcements on Cunard ships except for the captain's noon report.  

What I didn't like part two:  Oceania caters apparently to mostly very early diners.  All the parties were scheduled for about 5:30 .  I normally had dinner about 8 so had zero interest in attending such early pre-dinner cocktail affairs.  Couldn't Oceania also schedule another set of parties for many of us who have later dinners?  I am not holding my breath. 

What I didn't like part three:  Again, because Oceania caters to a mostly retired population who prefer to eat early there was NO live piano music in Martinis between 7-10.  The lounge was a dead zone.  No wonder!  No draw.  Sure, the string quartet played in the hall space but that is hardly a cocktail lounge setting and really didn't draw that many people.

Why I won't sail on the larger ships:  I am quite aware of the advantages of sailing on the larger ships.  One of my favorite places to sit on a ship is the promenade deck such as exists on Cunard ships.  I love to sit on a comfy deck chair under a lifeboat in the shade, watch the sea go by, read and char with fellow passengers who wander by.  It is so peaceful.  Quiet.  The sunsets are to die for and so is the passing scenery. Such a space is found on deck 5 on the R class ships.  Such spaces do not exist on the larger ships.  

I wish all a happy day.

Deck Chair.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Most likely the reason for the parties being done at 5:30 before evening dining venues open at 6:30 is staffing. The extra waiters needed for the parties have to.come from some where and are most likely needed in one or more dining venues once they open.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

@EJL2023 and @judi666

i found these on the main drinks menu someone else posted from their cruise at the end of last year.  Haven't been on O for 10 years now (but sailing Vista later this year) but at that time there was a pretty consistent 10 reds, 10 whites, 3 sparkling, 2/3 rose and some dessert wines and that's roughly what appear to be the wines by the glass. I'm happy with the included wines if this is them 😁 

IMG_2549.jpeg

IMG_2548.png

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 10:07 AM, EJL2023 said:

Just a few comments.  As noted..food is certainly subjective. But to describe it as edible as the best you can do…..hmmmm

There are many things you can say about O. Some wonderful, some good, some just ok. But when I read someone describes food as "edible", to me the whole review loses its credibility.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Your phone must be in Airplane mode or have "roaming priority is by WiFi" selected

Personally, I wouldn't depend of WiFi priority alone.  I've been in situations where, because of a change in the relative signal strengths, my phone switched from WiFi calling to standard cellular text and data.  It's much safer to make sure you are in airplane mode if you don't want an accidental switch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Personally, I wouldn't depend of WiFi priority alone.  I've been in situations where, because of a change in the relative signal strengths, my phone switched from WiFi calling to standard cellular text and data.  It's much safer to make sure you are in airplane mode if you don't want an accidental switch.

I was listing what was needed.  Methinks we agree what is wise is to set *both*.  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

There are many things you can say about O. Some wonderful, some good, some just ok. But when I read someone describes food as "edible", to me the whole review loses its credibility.

Exactly…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

And likewise when I read a review ( about any restaurant not just Oceanias) that states the food was 'inedible' I mentally roll my eyes and pay little attention to any further complaints . I've seen the inedible' descriptor quite often on CC posts ...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Or at least makes it clear the reviewer's standards are so much more ...elevated than mine, that it's a waste of my time reading his opinion.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Techno123 said:

@EJL2023 and @judi666

i found these on the main drinks menu someone else posted from their cruise at the end of last year.  Haven't been on O for 10 years now (but sailing Vista later this year) but at that time there was a pretty consistent 10 reds, 10 whites, 3 sparkling, 2/3 rose and some dessert wines and that's roughly what appear to be the wines by the glass. I'm happy with the included wines if this is them 😁 

IMG_2549.jpeg

IMG_2548.png

I only see 3 that are on our current Regatta cruise.  There are 19 red, whites and sparkling. 3 desert wines in the dining venues.  In the Terrace Cafe the list is smaller with about 8.  I’m sure the selection changes as to the ship and what is available.  Of course, a wider selection is available outside the Simply More basic package. 
Last night my husband ordered a cocktail and I had a different wine. The wine server made sure to tell us “you must pay for those”.  It was slightly funny as the included alcoholic beverages are not “free”.  

2 hours ago, daydreamer62 said:

And likewise when I read a review ( about any restaurant not just Oceanias) that states the food was 'inedible' I mentally roll my eyes and pay little attention to any further complaints . I've seen the inedible' descriptor quite often on CC posts ...

and you may have seen it said that way by me when describing why we no longer sail with Celebrity....for us the food in a regular balcony was no longer edible in the main dining room and often in the buffet as well...hence inedible...now we have done our 10th on O....and are mostly satisfied....

51 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

and you may have seen it said that way by me when describing why we no longer sail with Celebrity....for us the food in a regular balcony was no longer edible in the main dining room and often in the buffet as well...hence inedible...now we have done our 10th on O....and are mostly satisfied....

Never sailed Celebrity but I've never had a meal in any establishment or any house or anywhere at all  that was inedible.(Unable to be eaten) I've certainly had some that I didn't want to eat but that didn't make them inedible. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@shepherd really from the same 'source' as my post above (there were some sparkles for TC too). The advertised wine menu for Waves and TC seems more limited (especially waves). Last time we were onboard we bought the drinks package and could have any of the wines by the glass anywhere but maybe it's different now?

IMG_2551.png

IMG_2550.png

Edited by Techno123

On 4/8/2024 at 10:23 AM, daydreamer62 said:

My yardstick for "inedible" is my late aunt's jicama-beansprout-avocado gelatin mold.  Or beets.  I can't stand beets.  Cruise ship food can be delicious or tasteless, over salted or not warm enough, but I think most people can find at least something they could eat.  What's the old saying?  Nobody ever starved on a cruise?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, shepherd really said:

Is the mold an ingredient or the form it is made in?

Maybe it is what forms in it because noone will eat it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kay S said:

My yardstick for "inedible" is my late aunt's jicama-beansprout-avocado gelatin mold.  Or beets.  I can't stand beets.  Cruise ship food can be delicious or tasteless, over salted or not warm enough, but I think most people can find at least something they could eat.  What's the old saying?  Nobody ever starved on a cruise?

Some (many) food trends definitely need to stay in the past. The 'everything in Aspic' is one of those. Nothing tastes better encased in jelly!! I do like beetroot though but it's definitely not better in gelatine!! 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 4:06 AM, ak1004 said:

Webster’s definition of edible: food that is suitable and safe.  That was my use of the word.  I never said inedible. 
Day 12: Most of the meals are good, just not anything over the top. Certainly better than the mainstream giant lines.  

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, judi666 said:

Webster’s definition of edible: food that is suitable and safe.  That was my use of the word.  I never said inedible. 
Day 12: Most of the meals are good, just not anything over the top. Certainly better than the mainstream giant lines.  

I understand what edible is. To me, most meals on O are between very good and excellent, with some rare exceptions. Definitely much better than just "edible". Edible to me is Mcdonald's or fast food in a mall. 

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I understand what edible is. To me, most meals on O are between very good and excellent, with some rare exceptions. Edible to me is Mcdonald's or fast food in a mall. 

Well…..we’ve determined it is safe, as in non poisonous!!!!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, judi666 said:

Wine and beer menu in Terrace Cafe and Waves. Apr 9, 2024. Regatta.

IMG_7961.jpeg

That’s really disappointing!

What have they done with my Albariño? I can only see one wine that I would enjoy from that menu!

SimplyMore, in this case really does look like SimplyLess!

Are there other wines available with the upgraded package?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

That’s really disappointing!

What have they done with my Albariño? I can only see one wine that I would enjoy from that menu!

SimplyMore, in this case really does look like SimplyLess!

Are there other wines available with the upgraded package?

They do have the very nice Alberino in the dining room as part of simply more. I have had it most nights.  So you can still look forward to it!  
Yes, lots of wines available by the bottle.  The wine server tonight, mentioned the wines by the glass listed ( and there are about 19 in the dining room) are available, but the many others are only by the bottle.

Its all a little confusing for passengers and servers. In my opinion it was badly thought out and implemented.  Of course you can order what you like and pay for it extra.  The upgraded package would have been almost $2500 on this long cruise.  We didn’t think we would make it worthwhile for us.  However, the server told me today, you can upgrade at any point in the cruise. I’m not a completely sure that’s the case, but one can hope.

I will try to post the wines by the glass in the dining room, forgot this evening.