Medical Cardio version on board

My husband had a "cardio event" on the NA a few months back with afib, irregular heartbeat and 170bpm. He ended up at the medical center. I have no idea what their equipment is called, but they were well-equipped to handle the situation. His cardiologist at home was impressed when he read the files. We were bracing ourselves for the bill, but amazingly it was only $696!!! If that had been at an ER in the US it would've been in the thousands.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

From looking it up, cardioversion is different from defibrillation, so an AED would not be a proper device.

Correct. Cardioversion is a more complicated procedure, and requires specific equipment to perform. An AED would not be expected to work.

I am not a doctor and know nothing about this.  However, since you are asking, I presume you have needed this procedure before or have a medical condition where you think you might.  The most important thing is you really need to ensure your cardiologist agrees that it is OK for you to travel and have a very high likelihood of not needing it while on board.  The medical facilities aboard HAL ships are very good, but they don't have all the equipment of even a small rural hospital in the US.  If you get sick on a cruise, it might be many hours or even days until you can be transported to a shore-side hospital.  Then, depending where you are cruising, you could be left off in a hospital in a 3rd world country with poor quality health care.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

I am not a doctor and know nothing about this.  However, since you are asking, I presume you have needed this procedure before or have a medical condition where you think you might.  The most important thing is you really need to ensure your cardiologist agrees that it is OK for you to travel and have a very high likelihood of not needing it while on board.  The medical facilities aboard HAL ships are very good, but they don't have all the equipment of even a small rural hospital in the US.  If you get sick on a cruise, it might be many hours or even days until you can be transported to a shore-side hospital.  Then, depending where you are cruising, you could be left off in a hospital in a 3rd world country with poor quality health care.

And then try to get home if you did not buy med jet insurance 

11 hours ago, Guinness1000 said:

My husband had a "cardio event" on the NA a few months back with afib, irregular heartbeat and 170bpm. He ended up at the medical center. I have no idea what their equipment is called, but they were well-equipped to handle the situation. His cardiologist at home was impressed when he read the files. We were bracing ourselves for the bill, but amazingly it was only $696!!! If that had been at an ER in the US it would've been in the thousands.

Good to know!  I have A-Fib.  When I go out of rhythm, and cannot normally get it back in sync with my own medication and exercises. If need be, the ER has been able to get me back in rhythm with shots to the abdomen.  So far, I have not had to get a cardio version treatment.  It's  small electrical shocks to the heart.  I think the onboard medical could handle that.  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 5:45 PM, Ninato8 said:

Are the medical facilities equipped with cardio version equipment. 

It can vary by cruise line, as in addition to having the equipment the ship's doctor must be qualified in giving the required sedation and using the equipment. However, most ships I have sailed, the medical centre has the shock machine, pads and the doctor was qualified.

24 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

It can vary by cruise line, as in addition to having the equipment the ship's doctor must be qualified in giving the required sedation and using the equipment. However, most ships I have sailed, the medical centre has the shock machine, pads and the doctor was qualified.

1 hour ago, Ninato8 said:

Thank you so much. I have needed two cardio versions in the last month. Tough decision whether or not to go. 

I think you should have a long talk with your physician.   DH is currently restricted from flying.  There is no way I would put him on an airplane until the doctor says I can.  So first contact guest services as I seem to get the most thorough responses from them then take that information to your physician.  

• Like 5

I am so sorry that you have had two cardio versions in a month.  I had one last July and was in the hospital for 4 days.  Even after one cardio version my cardiologist grounded me from traveling too far from home.  I had a heart ablation in January and have not had any episodes of afib except for some fluttering while the heart healed after the ablation. 

It is frustrating I know.  I have a Covid FCC that expires May 2nd (I have to sail by that date).  I am going to lose it.  I have my 3 month follow up to determine whether I will need another ablation or if they are going to keep me on antirythmic meds on Tue.  I have had no episodes  since the ablation but they put me on a heart monitor for two weeks and that showed some isolated SVT’s.

Talk to your doctor before deciding anything.  HAL has a good medical team and I am sure the cardio version equipment is for people whose arrithmyia is under conthrol and have the possibility of getting an attack that won’t quit.

I have had afib since 2017.  Usually the episodes didn’t quit.  In July I had an episode that landed me in the hospital.  That is when I decided it was time for an ablation.

Good Luck to you on whatever you decide.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have had atrial fib for about 15 years. Started off with 3 ablations over 3 years and then controlled by meds. No episodes for at least five years so these two episodes were a great surprise. I am trying to get a consult with my cardiologist but not an easy thing to do. 

so hard to decide…

Just now, Ninato8 said:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have had atrial fib for about 15 years. Started off with 3 ablations over 3 years and then controlled by meds. No episodes for at least five years so these two episodes were a great surprise. I am trying to get a consult with my cardiologist but not an easy thing to do. 

so hard to decide…

You don’t need to decide, let the physician decide.  I use mychart to communicate with my doctor. That might be easier than an in person consult.  If that is not available try speaking with their assistant by phone. Start with this easiest option then move up to an in person appointment 

• Like 3