Do TA's get commissions based on everything I buy, or just a cruise fare?

Posted (edited)

My question is because my TA is kicking us back a portion of the commission and if they're gonna collect from two [very expensive] excurisons and the FAS+ plus inevitable $350 massage my wife is going to get despite telling me she isn't going to do - I'm gonna go back and ask for more $$$$ 

Edited by erisajd
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, erisajd said:

My question is because my TA is kicking us back a portion of the commission and if they're gonna collect from two [very expensive] excurisons and the FAS+ plus inevitable $350 massage my wife is going to get despite telling me she isn't going to do - I'm gonna go back and ask for more $$$$ 

TA do not earn commissions on anything but the fare.  You can ask but be prepared to be disappointed.

Posted (edited)

That would be a tough (if not impossible) "get" from a TA.  That is, asking for more than the kickback they're already giving you on your booking.

Not a TA, so I don't know how it works.

But, it's sort of like asking anyone on commission if they're willing to give up part of their compensation because I want them to give it to me.  I just literally cringed a bit while typing that.

So, are you saying you have an issue with your wife for booking a massage?  You want the TA to give you some money back because your wife likes expensive massages?

FAS+ isn't something I'd buy as there's nothing in the way of the expanded drinks that interest me.  So, that's not an expense I'll incur.

But, if you're looking for other ways to add value to your cruise, keep an eye out on offers on your credit cards.  I use my AMEX to pay for my cruises.  OP, I know you mentioned you are either booked, or looking to book, a Haven cabin.  AMEX Platinum offers $300 OBC plus diner at LeBistro plus a bottle of wine.

I think Visa Sapphire offers something similar.

Over time, my TA has probably made decent commissions on my bookings as I usually book Haven, Retreat or Yacht Club cabins.  I never ask for anything other than what she offers (which is between an 8%-10% discount or OBC).  She's hands on for my reservation, too...keeping an eye out for price drops, special rates on cruises she believes I might be interested in, etc.  So, she's not a "book'em and forget'em".

But, she works at a high volume internet cruise booking agency.  She books a lot of cruises to make her living.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @cruiseny4life is a TA.  He can probably offer some insight regarding a guest asking for his commission.

EDIT....just saw @cruiseny4life posted while I was still typing.  Thanks!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That would be a tough (if not impossible) "get" from a TA.  That is, asking for more than the kickback they're already giving you on your booking.

But, it's sort of like asking anyone on commission if they're willing to give up part of their compensation because I want them to give it to me.  I just literally cringed a bit while typing that.

So, are you saying you have an issue with your wife for booking a massage?  You want the TA to give you some money back because your wife likes expensive massages?

FAS+ isn't something I'd buy as there's nothing in the way of the expanded drinks that interest me.  So, that's not an expense I'll incur.

But, if you're looking for other ways to add value to your cruise, keep an eye out on offers on your credit cards.  I use my AMEX to pay for my cruises.  OP, I know you mentioned you are either booked, or looking to book, a Haven cabin.  AMEX Platinum offers $300 OBC plus diner at LeBistro plus a bottle of wine.

Over time, my TA has probably made decent commissions on my bookings as I usually book Haven, Retreat or Yacht Club cabins.  I never ask for anything other than what she offers (which is between an 8%-10% discount or OBC).  She's hands on for my reservation, too...keeping an eye out for price drops, special rates on cruises she believes I might be interested in, etc.  So, she's not a "book'em and forget'em".

But, she works at a high volume internet cruise booking agency.  She books a lot of cruises to make her living.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @cruiseny4life is a TA.  He can probably offer some insight regarding a guest asking for his commission.

Sadly, my TA takes DAYS to get back to me with inaccurate information usually.  She was the one who offered US an OBC.  I didn't ask - but once she did I negotiated further when we had an in excess of $12000 cruise fare. 

So far, other than trying to book us in cabins [and cruise lines] we did not want [and told her we wanted a forward or aft cabin, and then came back to us $5000 over our stated budget] and then refused her company's online price match - and then having my mother in law die which messed up our planning for a month - I got back to her with cruise time, fare, cabin location and price to simply book it so it was someone else's responsbility to keep and eye on the cruise, she missed a discount, missed a discounted FAS+ expiration and has totally failed to do anything else but charge us.  

So - that said - lets say I don't exactly have a soft spot in my heart for any travel agent - I have not found a decent one since 1985. . . 

Edited by erisajd

47 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I can’t find the Amex platinum offer for OBC. Does it just pop up or can I call to request it?

57 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Sadly, my TA takes DAYS to get back to me with inaccurate information usually.  She was the one who offered US an OBC.  I didn't ask - but once she did I negotiated further when we had an in excess of $12000 cruise fare. 

So far, other than trying to book us in cabins [and cruise lines] we did not want [and told her we wanted a forward or aft cabin, and then came back to us $5000 over our stated budget] and then refused her company's online price match - and then having my mother in law die which messed up our planning for a month - I got back to her with cruise time, fare, cabin location and price to simply book it so it was someone else's responsbility to keep and eye on the cruise, she missed a discount, missed a discounted FAS+ expiration and has totally failed to do anything else but charge us.  

So - that said - lets say I don't exactly have a soft spot in my heart for any travel agent - I have not found a decent one since 1985. . . 

I get it. 

I've been with mine for over a decade. She took some time off for a bit a year or so ago.

But, she's back in the saddle.  She's part of a much larger on line Travel Agency.  Some of those are really little more than book and forget shops.  I like mine.  If my TA is out of the office or on vacation, sick, etc.....they have back ups who will assist me.  So, I'm really dealing with a bunch of agents who back each other.

I stick with them/her.  I used to shop them.  I don't even do that any more.

I know the PCCs NCL has are a transient group.  But, that's the nature of their biz...sell and get promoted or get fired.  So, I've never been able to latch on to one for any length of time.  From time to time, I'll get an email stating I have someone (insert random name here) who is standing by to help with my next cruise.  But, they come and go pretty quickly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, erisajd said:

Why are you still working with this TA?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just curious.... how much OBC did they already offer you, and what exactly are you planning on spending that on if you were to get more? Not everything on the ship can be paid for with OBC as there are more than one kind. 

So before asking for more OBC, make sure you know which type it is you're getting and that whatever you're planning on spending it on is eligible for that. Otherwise you'll end up with 1K in non-refundable credit that can't be used on the thing you were thinking of using it on, so you lose that and still owe NCL a ton of money too at the end of it.

24 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Just curious.... how much OBC did they already offer you, and what exactly are you planning on spending that on if you were to get more? Not everything on the ship can be paid for with OBC as there are more than one kind. 

So before asking for more OBC, make sure you know which type it is you're getting and that whatever you're planning on spending it on is eligible for that. Otherwise you'll end up with 1K in non-refundable credit that can't be used on the thing you were thinking of using it on, so you lose that and still owe NCL a ton of money too at the end of it.

I think I've probably mentioned this before...but, I will again...I know dang well that my husband and I could easily spend $1,000 of onboard credit, per person. Even the non-refundable kind. Unless it was given to us on the last day. Give us the length of the cruise and yep, I'd be spending like there's no tomorrow! Massage every day and after three days, I'd be broke. 🙂 

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think I've probably mentioned this before...but, I will again...I know dang well that my husband and I could easily spend $1,000 of onboard credit, per person. Even the non-refundable kind. Unless it was given to us on the last day. Give us the length of the cruise and yep, I'd be spending like there's no tomorrow! Massage every day and after three days, I'd be broke. 🙂 

In days of ole…I would get about 1k in OBC (when booking the Haven) and easily spend it! I still have a gold bracelet that I bought on a med cruise, in the NCL jewelry store for about $500 about 10 years ago. It’s hollow, with several dents on it, but if I turn it just right…not real noticeable! 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

No matter how I book, I don’t expect a travel agent to continually check for new promos or price drops after I book, their job is done.

Right, it is our job as the potential passenger to every now and then check for price drops. Once found, our TA has no problem getting them for us. Sometimes that comes with a warning such as you no longer have the same small deposit and if you want the price drop you must add to your deposit.

21 hours ago, erisajd said:

Just the cruise fare - no onboard purchases, excursions, or drink packages. And not on NCFs anymore. Sometimes there will be commission on cruise line insurance or air purchased through the cruise lines.

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

No matter how I book, I don’t expect a travel agent to continually check for new promos or price drops after I book, their job is done.

Maybe if you understood what her promises were as part of the deal to get the business - you might understand why I say that.  

So - I'll be painfully direct:  "We [the agency] SHALL [emphasis mine] make regular efforts to determine if there are any specials, deals or limited time offers concerning your travel booked with us that can save you money.  This is at no cost as part of our service."

18 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Maybe if you understood what her promises were as part of the deal to get the business - you might understand why I say that.  

So - I'll be painfully direct:  "We [the agency] SHALL [emphasis mine] make regular efforts to determine if there are any specials, deals or limited time offers concerning your travel booked with us that can save you money.  This is at no cost as part of our service."

I just don’t know why a travel agent would go out of there way to check for discounts that would lower their commission. 

36 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I just don’t know why a travel agent would go out of there way to check for discounts that would lower their commission. 

I had a friend who used to be a TA.  They had a system that would check for reductions and alert them when a booked cruise was discounted.  It's good practice to let the client know....you want their repeat business and for them to spread the word of what you've done for them to their friends and family.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coscab said:

Any TA's seen free service charge offer on NCL agent site, I specifically saw it on Joy for Nov 2025, doesn't come up on regular NCL site

You have to book through a travel agent that offers the perk.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

It's simple--they want to retain customers and they want customers to recommend their services to other potential customers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Snap it up! It goes away tomorrow. And unlike Free at Sea, it really will go away after the celebrated 4/20 day.

Thanks, I dont understand why on the regular ncl site (not agent site) it says I can add the DSC even though it shows free on my confirmation from bookncl, it actually would let me add it to my reservation on regular NCL site and take a payment for it (I did not pay it, was just testing)  I always print out and bring paperwork with me for proof

I also booked another couple, they are the ones that noticed that the regular ncl site does not show that the service charge is already included but it is on their confirmation, it confused them

Edited by coscab