Best port to sail from in the Western Med??

Mizur1

Looking to sail the western med.  As itineraries are similar, I was wondering the best port to sail from?  My main consideration is ease in transportation from the US. (direct flights).

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

We too sailed from Barcelona, taxied to hotel near port (did not go into Barcelona) and then taxied to port next morning, was easy. We flew direct from Newark to Barcelona.

Sailed from Rome/ Cive… also, harder to navigate for us, airport not close to cruise port. That was also Newark to Rome. 

Edited by cellfree
added more

We mainly embark in Barcelona as we get direct flights there and it’s a fixed taxi fare from the airport.  However, Genoa tends to be treated as ‘Day 1’ of the cruise when it’s on the itinerary.  

I have surfed for flights New York - Western Mediterranean

I took a random day in June, checked NY all airports and

Rome, 5 direct flights

Barcelona, 3 direct flights

Palma, 1 direct fligh

Marseille, 0 direct flights

Nice, 0 direct flights

Valencia, 0 direct flights

Genova, 0 direct flights

Florence, 0 direct flights

Naples, 0 direct flights

(I thought there were direct flights Spain to New York from Barcelona and Madrid only. I have seen there are from Tenerife and Mallorca islands too)

So, if you want a direct flight, Rome, Barcelona or Palma

I would avoid Rome because there's 1h15m from the city to the pier. In Barcelona or Palma they can be just 15 minutes on a taxi.

Just decide. I know there are good flight connections tough. I just read comments from other forumers here in CC who come from any city in US to Barcelona. Almost most of them have connection in an European city (or Casablanca) instead of NY. I do not know reason, maybe prices.

If you decide Palma, you can stay for some days after cruise, have beach and visit all the island

If you decide Barcelona, there are a loooooot of things to do, even moving from Spain and having departure from Madrid, for instance

I've only gone from Barcelona and it was very convenient. I had direct R/T flights from Boston, so I would expect the NYC area would be even easier to find good flights (?). Only regret is I didn't have the free time to book a couple of extra days in Bareclona.

Genoa's a great city, and anytime the port is located that close to the city center it gets bonus points. Very walkable city, and depending on where your hotel is, you can walk to the port.

13 minutes ago, peder said:

Genoa's a great city, and anytime the port is located that close to the city center it gets bonus points. Very walkable city, and depending on where your hotel is, you can walk to the port.

Good to know, thank you. 

I prefer Barcelona and Genova. 
Genova have Nice hotels where you Can walk to the cruiseterminal.
And the airport is Very close.

Barcelona is a city where you Can make a short holiday before you Cruise.
Many thing to Explorer. Airport close to the city.

9 hours ago, peder said:

I agree but I would say it is perfect for a day cruise after you can reach underground station in a couple of minutes from the ship. Some minutes and you are in city centre.

But I bet they will want an embarkation port with direct flights from New York

So Rome, Barcelona and Palma

Problem of Rome is you have to move with all baggage to Civitavecchia. For a day cruise you will move in train or shuttle to Rome, but for embarkment it is not so easy

And I would glance Palma. It is a perfect destination for Central European people for a week holiday and you have a direct flight to NY too

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another pair of votes for Barcelona and Genoa. I actually prefer Genoa for embarkation as it is such a nice city to explore, and the sail away has such a nice backdrop of the city. But you need to either take the train there or a second flight. Barcelona has very nice port facilities and plenty to see pre-cruise. It is very crowded and notorious for pickpockets. We have both embarked there and had a port call.

I would not recommend Civitavecchia. We nave both embarked there and been there on a port call twice.

Edited by Heartgrove

Barcelona is the easiest by far, IMO, but Rome is also a great option if you have time to tack on before/after since you can easily spend another week there.