Medallion with room still unassigned?

IUSteve

Got email that my medallion has been shipped. The problem is I have a guaranteed reservation but I have still not been assigned a room. How does this work? In order to open your door, doesn’t the medallion need to know what room you’re in? Or is it more technologically advanced than a hotel key card? I was hoping for a speedy embarkation in the green line. Will I need to stop somewhere to have the thing reprogrammed?

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

If you have not received any notice of a room assignment,  have you double checked your booking?  I have heard that the room number can show up there well before any notice is received.

nope, just checked 

1 hour ago, IUSteve said:

Got email that my medallion has been shipped. The problem is I have a guaranteed reservation but I have still not been assigned a room. How does this work? In order to open your door, doesn’t the medallion need to know what room you’re in? Or is it more technologically advanced than a hotel key card? I was hoping for a speedy embarkation in the green line. Will I need to stop somewhere to have the thing reprogrammed?

Much more technology advanced than a key card.  Doors and medallions can be programmed easily.  Would guess (only that) They will program the door to match your medallion.  Codes are changed after each passenger disembarked or changes rooms.

Let us all know exactly what happened please

• Like 1

Your medallion contains a code to identify you - nothing else. It does not contain your room number. Princess programs their system to allow a specific medallion to open a specific door. If you're traveling with family or friends, they can also program it to allow your medallion to open doors to additional cabins. They don't change anything in the medallion - just in the database on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, IUSteve said:

Obviously a downside to having the medallions posted instead of waiting a few seconds longer to get them at embarkation 😂

6 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Obviously a downside to having the medallions posted instead of waiting a few seconds longer to get them at embarkation 😂

Nope - they don't have to physically have the medallion to reprogram the cabin assignment.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jean-lynd said:

Nope - they don't have to physically have the medallion to reprogram the cabin assignment.

Well blow me down with a feather! That is amazing.😉

Posted (edited)

The medallion doesn't know anything other than a unique identifier that looks something like this:

ff3766fb-c088-4c90-b86f-561800cd414b

The medallion transmits that number whenever it is pinged by the medallion system receivers around the ship, including the white pucks on the ceilings and stateroom door entry devices.

That same number appears in a database on the servers where things like folios and room assignments are stored. Simply stated, Princess crew tell the system that a particular medallion number is permitted to open cabin door R123.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 7:29 PM, memoak said:

Your cabin may be assigned as late as embarkation morning. Your medallion can actually be programmed then if need be. 

They program the door not the medallion so you will be fine nothing needs to change on the medallion 

Posted (edited)

The Medallions aren't activated until you physically check-in at the port.  Until then, they are useless and don't do anything.  This is done so there are no stowaways who didn't present ID/don't have the proper documents for the cruise.  If they were active at shipping, theoretically, someone without proper documentation could walk past security and scan their Medallion at the gangway and gain access to the ship.  A cabin will for sure be assigned before check-in time.

Edited by SCX22