Have early dining…what to do if back from excursion after

Posted (edited)

Hi

We are sailing on the Solstice in May in Alaska. Some of the port days are long, which is great to explore. If we get back on the ship after our early dining time, can we go to the MDR later? I know that the buffet is an option. 

Thank you!

Edited by thumpersmom

4 hours ago, thumpersmom said:

Hi

We are sailing on the Solstice in May in Alaska. Some of the port days are long, which is great to explore. If we get back on the ship after our early dining time, can we go to the MDR later? I know that the buffet is an option. 

Thank you!

One option to consider is the buffet.  On our  Alaska cruise, we twice dined in the Oceanview after a long day on excursions.  They had fresh fish cooked to order on a couple of nights which included cod, salmon and halibut.  It was very quiet up there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They should be able to accommodate you if you get back later, if it were myself , I would let the Maitre'd know in advance that you will be arriving later on a particular evening.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were a group and table of six people on the Solstice in Alaska and arrived 45 minutes late to the dining room from an excursion and we were seated with no problem.  Just walked in like we always did.  Waiter was very accommodating.  I believe we told the waiter we may be late the night before.

Edited by PKB
  • Like 1

I would think twice about trying to join the regular table in a traditional setting because it would delay service to your table mates who are on time.  I suppose this would work if you are only ten minutes late but it will also disturb service on surrounding tables.  The MD may be able to seat you at a table for two in another area which is just being seated, It never hurts to ask but I would not just walk in.  I know I would not be happy if some one joined the table 30 minutes late..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As others have said, if you think you will be late returning on a given day, let the servers know in advance so that they don't delay service to others who may be sharing a table with you. But also be prepared that if you return too long after the scheduled seating, you may not be able to be accommodated for that seating. 

The suggestion to perhaps see if you can change to anytime dining is also a good one in that you can either schedule times that will best suit your port of call preferences or simply arrive when convenient to the non-reservation line and await a table. This would alleviate any concerns with disrupting the scheduled timing with the servers or delaying service with others at your table.

Otherwise as mentioned, the buffet is always an option as would planning for later dining at a specialty restaurant on those nights.  Again, with either of these options, notifying your servers whenever possible in advance is recommended.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, thumpersmom said:

Hi

Thank you!

All you can do is try and if it is too late, they will direct you to the buffet.  Remember that your table will be needed for those who have late seating so it is quite possible that it won’t be available to you

Edited by cruisestitch

On 4/27/2024 at 2:47 PM, buzz031 said:

If you miss dinner, you’ll just have to go to bed hungry… 🤪 Alaska is beautiful! Enjoy!

Haha! I’m starting to drool looking at the menus 🙂