New-ish cruiser, brand new to Celebrity!

Victory!

Posted (edited)

The quick store is I have only been on three cruises, all were on Carnival. We are looking to book our first celebrity cruise on the ascent. I have few questions that I just haven’t been able to get a solid answer for. Wondering if any one here might have some answers.

1. If I book a veranda, can I upgrade after final payment to a concierge class?

2. Other than boarding day lunch, are there other perks like early boarding?

3. Is it possible to book concierge class and have a regular veranda, not an infinity style?

4. If we must book infinity style with concierge, is it full sun? To be clear, is it possible to still sit out and get some rays similar to a regular balcony?

Thanks in advance for helpful advice!

Edited by Victory!

• Victory! changed the title to New-ish cruiser, brand new to Celebrity!
Posted (edited)

1. I suppose so, but the price might be higher than it is now. I think you should book what you want, when you book the cruise.

2. Concierge class might have a separate boarding line, and it might be quicker. I believe afternoon snacks are in concierge, around 4 pm. It’s just small but we like them, with a drink in our stateroom. We go to a bar and bring it back. Not even sure that’s still “a thing”, as perks have been shifting lately. The boarding day lunch is good, but if you board late, that perk is gone. Cruisers who love buffet breakfast and lunch don’t even think that’s much of a perk.

3. I don’t think so. It’s called infinite, not infinity.

4. It depends where the sun is in relation to the side of the ship you’re on. If your side is facing west and it’s late afternoon, you’ll have sun. When the ship is moving, it’s unpredictable. You’re not really “sitting out”. You’re sitting next to a huge open window. If you really want to “sit out”, either book a sunset veranda stateroom or an M or S class ship, not Edge class. Or go to the pool deck or higher, or other areas with lounge chairs. On Edge class, you can sometimes get full sun outside Eden. Usually nice quiet location.

Have fun!

Edited by May B
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, May B said:

1. I suppose so, but the price might be higher than it is now. I think you should book what you want, when you book the cruise.

2. Concierge class might have a separate boarding line, and it might be quicker. I believe afternoon snacks are in concierge, around 4 pm. It’s just small but we like them, with a drink in our stateroom. We go to a bar and bring it back. Not even sure that’s still “a thing”, as perks have been shifting lately. The boarding day lunch is good, but if you board late, that perk is gone. Cruisers who love buffet breakfast and lunch don’t even think that’s much of a perk.

3. I don’t think so. It’s called infinite, not infinity.

4. It depends where the sun is in relation to the side of the ship you’re on. If your side is facing west and it’s late afternoon, you’ll have sun. When the ship is moving, it’s unpredictable. You’re not really “sitting out”. You’re sitting next to a huge open window. If you really want to “sit out”, either book a sunset veranda stateroom or an M or S class ship, not Edge class. Or go to the pool deck or higher, or other areas with lounge chairs. On Edge class, you can sometimes get full sun outside Eden. Usually nice quiet location.

Have fun!

May B, thanks so much!

LOL, my daughter keeps correcting me “Infinite, Mom!”

I’ve been watching reviews and the area outside of Eden looks lovely.

I appreciate your help!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Victory! said:

May B, thanks so much!

LOL, my daughter keeps correcting me “Infinite, Mom!”

I’ve been watching reviews and the area outside of Eden looks lovely.

I appreciate your help!

The inside of Eden is gorgeous, too!

There are many unusual things about the Edge ships. Personally, I love them. 

• Like 1

There is no early boarding for Concierge class.  When you do on-line check in (opens 45 days pre sailing) you select an arrival time from the slots available.  
 On E class ships only Suites and Sunset veranda cabin have an actual balcony.  

The floor to ceiling window has a tinted glass.  The top portion can be lowered but only pat way down.  If you stood at the lowered window and were facing the sun you would get some sun on your face and arms, but these cabins are not conducive to sunbathing.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There is no early boarding for Concierge class.  When you do on-line check in (opens 45 days pre sailing) you select an arrival time from the slots available.  

The floor to ceiling window has a tinted glass.  The top portion can be lowered but only pat way down.  If you stood at the lowered window and were facing the sun you would get some sun on your face and arms, but these cabins are not conducive to sunbathing.  

Yes, that’s exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming. 

Victory welcome to Celebrity.  Ask as many questions as you would like. Many of your questions have been answered.  We booked a  Concierge guarantee stateroom on the Eclipse so we didn’t get to pick our cabin. We ended up being upgraded to an Aqua stateroom with a very nice balcony in a great location. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Victory! said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming. 

There's only a handful of non-suite staterooms with real balconies, they are under the room type of balcony and are port-hole rooms and the balcony is so shallow, you can only fit comfortably if the chair is at a 45 degree angle.  On the other end of the spectrum, all suites do not have IVs

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Victory!

If I book a veranda, can I upgrade after final payment to a concierge class?  It all depends what is available after final payment, not to mention price differential.  The stateroom is the same size with lunch the first day, but if you tend to be later, youll miss it; not really worth it unless you dislike eating in the OVC(Ocean view Cafe.)  Location can also be better, or possibly not.  You can also put in an offer for MoveUp.  

SV’s are wonderful with lager real balconies: Sunset Suites even more so.  These suites have huge balconies and are fabulous, IMHO, for TA’s; however, these have become anything but cost effective!  Both require an extra long walk to many places, yet are great for burning off more calories too. Ascent will be a great first ship...booking Europe? 

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Victory!

If I book a veranda, can I upgrade after final payment to a concierge class?  It all depends what is available after final payment, not to mention price differential.  The stateroom is the same size with lunch the first day, but if you tend to be later, youll miss it; not really worth it unless you dislike eating in the OVC(Ocean view Cafe.)  Location can also be better, or possibly not.  You can also put in an offer for MoveUp.  

SV’s are wonderful with lager real balconies: Sunset Suites even more so.  These suites have huge balconies and are fabulous, IMHO, for TA’s; however, these have become anything but cost effective!  Both require an extra long walk to many places, yet are great for burning off more calories too. Ascent will be a great first ship...booking Europe? 

boarding day lunch may not be worth it for us. But more importantly, if the location is a distance from the OCV, I will really have to go back to the drawing board. 
Not Europe yet, we are saving that for retirement cruise, hopefully next year. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 9:58 PM, jelayne said:

The chairs aren't "conductive to sunbathing" either. OK for a few minutes but with the low backs, no recline and no footstools relaxing on them would, in my opinion, be impossible. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...