Very brief Sun Princess review

alyssamma

10 minutes ago, chamima said:

I think you've hit on a main problem that the Sun has . Which of the 3 or 4 different venues does one need to go to? I get it that with a large passenger load Princess is trying to distribute the load across the ship but the way it's been implemented just leaves a lot of people confused.

It remains to be seen if this is a feature or a flaw. The decision to place the buffet on Deck 9 is a bit curious, but I think that Princess wanted to capture the vibe of NCL’s Boardwalk without creating a half dozen different restaurants. In so doing, they sort of restored the concept of a usable Promenade which was stripped away in the last build. I think this will prove popular. But at the same time, thousands of people are going to be using Decks 16-19 from mid-day on, especially on Sea Days and having only the usual pizza and burgers up there would never be enough. So some expansion was essential. But I’m not sure it’s enough. The first sea day in the sunny Caribbean will tell the story if people will be willing to leave their loungers on 16 or 17 to go down to Deck 9 to eat. The short walk to the World Market on 17 was a whole lot more convenient for people in bathing suits than a trip down the elevators to Deck 9. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It remains to be seen if this is a feature or a flaw. The decision to place the buffet on Deck 9 is a bit curious, but I think that Princess wanted to capture the vibe of NCL’s Boardwalk without creating a half dozen different restaurants. In so doing, they sort of restored the concept of a usable Promenade which was stripped away in the last build. I think this will prove popular. But at the same time, thousands of people are going to be using Decks 16-19 from mid-day on, especially on Sea Days and having only the usual pizza and burgers up there would never be enough. So some expansion was essential. But I’m not sure it’s enough. The first sea day in the sunny Caribbean will tell the story if people will be willing to leave their loungers on 16 or 17 to go down to Deck 9 to eat. The short walk to the World Market on 17 was a whole lot more convenient for people in bathing suits than a trip down the elevators to Deck 9. 

It also makes me think that the old method of going to the buffet in order to avoid the wait if you aren’t in a private dining category is no longer going to be an option, unless you want dinner at 5. But then you can eat anywhere at 5 and not wait.  The loss of self serve beverages in the buffet that many are reporting seems to be an epic fail in design.

I suppose you could pay for specialty dining every meal but the reservation system for those seems to be problematic, and so called “traditional dining” has lost the hassle free method of simply choosing at booking.  Also, mid-level private dining such as Club Class has disappeared in favor of the overpriced Sanctuary class, so if you don’t want to worry about the reservation mess you have to pay an exorbitant fare. Yes there’s Deck 8 but I would think the menu would get old. I’m not suggesting anyone is going to starve…it’s still a cruise ship….but nobody likes meals to be a chore.  I do have one Star booking for next year, so I’m willing to keep an open mind. I just hope I’m wrong with these concerns. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Yes there’s Deck 8 but I would think the menu would get old. I’m not suggesting anyone is going to starve…it’s still a cruise ship….but nobody likes meals to be a chore.  I do have one Star booking for next year, so I’m willing to keep an open mind. I just hope I’m wrong with these concerns. 

I don't know if it will matter but current cruisers are reporting that at dinner the MDR menu is being used sometimes and they ALWAYS have at least one new item every day.

Deck 8 doesn't appeal to me at all but it might to some.

Edited by chamima
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chamima said:

I don't know if it will matter but current cruisers are reporting that at dinner the MDR menu is being used sometimes

It will DEFINITELY matter. That adds 50% more seating for people who want to enjoy the MDR menu and allows those who choose to do so to dine in shorts and T-shirts or be as casual as they want. I’m not being facetious but just THINK how much this board would change if every Princess ship offered an MDR with the full MDR menu that was truly “come as you are”. There would never be another thread or post asking if such-and-such attire is allowed in the MDR. Or if there is, the simple answer would always be: “Yes. On Deck 8.”  I truly hope that this experiment becomes permanent. I don’t think too many Princess cruisers pay what they pay just so that they can eat scrambled eggs or hamburgers for dinner. Some, yes. But not a whole dining room’s worth. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I do have one Star booking for next year, so I’m willing to keep an open mind. I just hope I’m wrong with these concerns. 

At the current rate of change, by the time Star boards its first guests, everything that we have come to know about the Sphere Class ships will be different!

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Can someone confirm the location of electrical outlet in the bathroom - low by the sink or up high? Thank

Low by the sink in standard bathrooms, higher up on mini-suite bathrooms

From our Deluxe Balcony:

image.thumb.png.5f8c2b7f06757ff756e552bd4947d68b.png

From CanadianBurger's Reserve Mini-Suite (now Sanctuary Mini-Suite):

image.thumb.png.4455b8b43bf5825a250bf8227f1c2dc0.png

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It will DEFINITELY matter. That adds 50% more seating for people who want to enjoy the MDR menu and allows those who choose to do so to dine in shorts and T-shirts or be as casual as they want. I’m not being facetious but just THINK how much this board would change if every Princess ship offered an MDR with the full MDR menu that was truly “come as you are”. There would never be another thread or post asking if such-and-such attire is allowed in the MDR. Or if there is, the simple answer would always be: “Yes. On Deck 8.”  I truly hope that this experiment becomes permanent. I don’t think too many Princess cruisers pay what they pay just so that they can eat scrambled eggs or hamburgers for dinner. Some, yes. But not a whole dining room’s worth. 

Good point but you missed the word "sometimes".

If passengers don't know what menu will be offered each night they will still be going to deck 6 or 7 first.

I think a good solution might be to have the MDR menu for dinner every night with the diner menu for breakfast and lunch but I'm sure there's a problem with that, that I haven't thought of.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, chamima said:

I don't know if it will matter but current cruisers are reporting that at dinner the MDR menu is being used sometimes and they ALWAYS have at least one new item every day.

Deck 8 doesn't appeal to me at all but it might to some.

Yes, last month we got 3 selections from that night's MDR menu day appearing on the Deck 8 menu (it was day 2) so I reckon they have different Americana menus for each day to match with the MDR offerings.

PXL_20240330_102723779.thumb.jpg.7e3f170af32deb7205e0a29abe08c7f1.jpg

PXL_20240330_102708266.thumb.jpg.ca9f16bee852815661d43d25b40b0455.jpg

Edited by dides

9 minutes ago, chamima said:

If passengers don't know what menu will be offered each night they will still be going to deck 6 or 7 first.

I think a good solution might be to have the MDR menu for dinner every night with the diner menu for breakfast and lunch but I'm sure there's a problem with that, that I haven't thought of.

Yeah my OCD need for some predictability in life isn’t a big fan of “sometimes.”

7 minutes ago, dides said:

Yes, last month we got 3 selections from that night's MDR menu day appearing on the Deck 8 menu so I reckon they have different Americana menus for each day to match with the MDR offerings.

PXL_20240330_102723779.thumb.jpg.7e3f170af32deb7205e0a29abe08c7f1.jpg

PXL_20240330_102708266.thumb.jpg.ca9f16bee852815661d43d25b40b0455.jpg

Well at least there’s a Beyond Burger for vegetarians. Celebrity has them in Blu but I never had to fall back on that option since the Blu menu always had good entrees. 

2 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Well at least there’s a Beyond Burger for vegetarians. Celebrity has them in Blu but I never had to fall back on that option since the Blu menu always had good entrees. 

It doesn't say Beyond Burger. It says plant based burger.

Unless something has changed Princess has the absolute worst plant based burgers we've eaten anywhere!!!! (And Celebrity used to have some of the best but they've downgraded - still not as bad as Princess, though.)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chamima said:

This entire ship is still in Beta testing mode. I’m pretty confident that “sometimes” will become “always” once the Dining Room Manager sees the impact this will have on wait times on Deck 7 on the nights where the MDR meals are offered on Deck 8. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

It will DEFINITELY matter. That adds 50% more seating for people who want to enjoy the MDR menu and allows those who choose to do so to dine in shorts and T-shirts or be as casual as they want. I’m not being facetious but just THINK how much this board would change if every Princess ship offered an MDR with the full MDR menu that was truly “come as you are”. There would never be another thread or post asking if such-and-such attire is allowed in the MDR.

That's true as long as the menu's in both DR's remain identical

Something tells me that in a short time they won't be and we'll be back to the same old, same old routine. 

In the mean time we'll just choose the DR with the best service. 

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

@Retired-N-Happy what did you find was a good place to relax and listen to musicians when you were on the Sun Princess?

Asking bc final payment date is rapidly approaching.  Thx

We have not yet sailed on the Sun.  We will be on her for 14 days over Halloween and another 14 days in January.  We also have 14 booked on the Star in November of 2025 and another 14 in February of 2026.

3 hours ago, ILUVHOCKEY said:

On the ship right now, first seas day for me. So Yes at this time there do have musicians placed across the ship. So that is nice. 

Thank you!! I'm boarding 9/23/24. 

3 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

We have not yet sailed on the Sun.  We will be on her for 14 days over Halloween and another 14 days in January.  We also have 14 booked on the Star in November of 2025 and another 14 in February of 2026.

Yeah .... with all the rav impressions I'm waiting on booking more than 1 until I see for myself before leaving Royal Class ships. 

======////=======

Hoping it lives up to our expectations and the angst posted is just PCL adjustment pains. Not too happy about needing a ticket for performances but we shall see how that plays our

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

The loss of self serve beverages in the buffet that many are reporting seems to be an epic fail in design.

If the powers that be do think this was an epic fail it should hopefully be fixed when the Star comes out.  Also, it's been reported that 75% of passengers have either the Plus or Premier so they can just go to a bar to get a soda, bottle of water or alcoholic choice to consume with their lunch. 

Posted (edited)

Ah….the Suite life. Lunch in Signature restaurant was sublime on this, our first day. I had fried calamari and it was among the best I’ve ever had.  There are four in our group. One ha d Poke Salmon. Lobster roll was available and I had that as well. 

great snack at buffet, one of my favorites. Cherry crumble. 

We went up to Sanctuary, only for Suites at this time. Very few people there and all were enjoying themselves with Bento boxes and drinks, etc.  They seemed to monitoring the elevators there scrupulously. It will be interesting when all the 200+ Sanctuary cabins come on board. 

Made reservations to the magic show in signature lounge a couple of days, after we return from Milan. 

It’s first formal night, and we thought we could get out of it by reserving at the Catch. But no, the Concierge said that formal also applies in the Specialty restaurants. We hate Buffett for dinner so dress up for us🥴……

Edited by mrmarklin
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

It’s first formal night, and we thought we could get out of it by reserving at the Catch. But no, the Concierge said that formal also applies in the Specialty restaurants. We hate Buffett for dinner so dress up for us🥴……

PLEASE come back and let us know apx % actually have formal attire on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, chamima said:

It doesn't say Beyond Burger. It says plant based burger.

Unless something has changed Princess has the absolute worst plant based burgers we've eaten anywhere!!!! (And Celebrity used to have some of the best but they've downgraded - still not as bad as Princess, though.)

Are they the old traditional veggie burgers? I don’t even eat those anymore. 

30 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

This entire ship is still in Beta testing mode. I’m pretty confident that “sometimes” will become “always” once the Dining Room Manager sees the impact this will have on wait times on Deck 7 on the nights where the MDR meals are offered on Deck 8. 

I wish I shared your optimism 😕

7 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

If the powers that be do think this was an epic fail it should hopefully be fixed when the Star comes out.  Also, it's been reported that 75% of passengers have either the Plus or Premier so they can just go to a bar to get a soda, bottle of water or alcoholic choice to consume with their lunch. 

Hopefully none of the convenience factor of self serve is lost if you have to find a bar. It just seems counterintuitive to make both the beverages and food be service-required on a new class of ship with increased passenger capacity. A smaller ship, this would make more sense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

It's almost hard to believe since all the other Princess ships do not require formal dress in the Specialty restaurants. 

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Thank you!! I'm boarding 9/23/24. 

Yeah .... with all the rav impressions I'm waiting on booking more than 1 until I see for myself before leaving Royal Class ships. 

======////=======

Hoping it lives up to our expectations and the angst posted is just PCL adjustment pains. Not too happy about needing a ticket for performances but we shall see how that plays our

We currently also have 35 days booked on the Enchanted over three different sailings.  We have cruised on the Excel Class of Carnival 9 times and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  With 2000 less passengers on the Sphere Class on a ship based on the same platform, we know we're going to enjoy it.  

Princess dropped the ball with not having all of their ducks in a row regarding various aspects of the ship and also not having their staff fully trained on the new Class of ship.  By the time the Star comes out, tweaks that have to be made will be done and hopefully many of the staff will switch over from the Sun and be helpful in training new staff that are not used to the Sphere Class size ships.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

We went up to Sanctuary, only for Suites at this time. Very few people there and all were enjoying themselves with Bento boxes and drinks, etc.  They seemed to monitoring the elevators there scrupulously. It will be interesting when all the 200+ Sanctuary cabins come on board. 

Thanks for the live updates!  On the Sanctuary, are you saying that they have already removed the option for non-Suite passengers to buy day passes? Thought it would have been something they aligned with the October change to Sanctuary Class (we are boarding again in September before the change and will hope to also enjoy the suite life!)

Edited by dides