ICON GTY Outside Balcony

It's Tuesday and our Saturday reservation on the ICON is still showing GTY (Guarantee Ocean Balcony).  I know it can be assigned anywhere up to and including the day of sailing.  But is anyone in the group that has actual info on when recent sailings of the ICON had their guaranteed cabin assigned?

Posted (edited)

I'm not aware that GTY assignments with Icon would be any different than with other ships, and I don't think other's experience will necessarily dictate what you should expect as assignment times on any ship and sailing vary. 

But if you are not able to determine your stateroom by the method suggested by @soremekun, then I would think you just may have to wait a couple more days to see.  In our experience I would think you would have been notified by now, but as you indicate, it can by up to the day of sailing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Within an hour of posting this, our cabin was assigned Deck 11 near the back elevators.  It is interesting that our friends who also booked GTY (their reservation is  linked to ours) was assigned the cabin next to us!!  Nice job Royal.  We also was given an Infinity Balcony instead of an Oceanview Balcony, so this is somewhat of an upgrade?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, bala1130 said:

We also was given an Infinity Balcony instead of an Oceanview Balcony, so this is somewhat of an upgrade?

Oceanview and Infinite Balconies can carry their own GTY's, and OV's are categories D & C, and Infinite Balconies are category I, which are typically priced higher.  So, yes, if your GTY was originally an XB and they assigned an Infinite Balcony, then you received an upgrade.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

15 minutes ago, bala1130 said:

Within an hour of posting this, our cabin was assigned Deck 11 near the back elevators.  It is interesting that our friends who also booked GTY (their reservation is  linked to ours) was assigned the cabin next to us!!  Nice job Royal.  We also was given an Infinity Balcony instead of an Oceanview Balcony, so this is somewhat of an upgrade?

Not surprised with this as there was a surplus of Infinity Balcony while a shortage of traditional balcony for the sailing.  Was curious if that would occur.  Infinity Balcony currently seemed to be over valued and could see future sailings price drops below the standard balcony cabins at least for summer sailings.

3 hours ago, bala1130 said:

i wouldn’t consider it a upgrade. You may enjoy it but a lot of people avoid them at all cost including me. You open the window the a/c shuts off and all the cool air is sucked out of the room in minutes leaving you with a hot/sticky cabin that takes awhile to cool back down.

Maybe in the winter but no way in the summer!

27 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

i wouldn’t consider it a upgrade. You may enjoy it but a lot of people avoid them at all cost including me. You open the window the a/c shuts off and all the cool air is sucked out of the room in minutes leaving you with a hot/sticky cabin that takes awhile to cool back down.

Maybe in the winter but no way in the summer!

Another the glass is half full poster!!!! 

1 minute ago, Loracpin2 said:

Another the glass is half full poster!!!! 

I’m hardly ever negative on here except for people the remove gratuities then I will call you out.

Have you stayed in one or know how the infinity balconies work? There is a reason they are the last to sell out in the summertime in the Caribbean

54 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I’m hardly ever negative on here except for people the remove gratuities then I will call you out.

Have you stayed in one or know how the infinity balconies work? There is a reason they are the last to sell out in the summertime in the Caribbean

Sorry, read your reply and had to reply.  I think it’s everyone’s personal choice what they tip.  I wouldn’t call anyone out.  If it was that critical to the health of the corporation, it would be baked into the fare. [we always tip extra but I don’t believe anyone has a right to call anyone out on tipping].  My apologies if I’ve hijacked the conversation. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 9:12 PM, Airbear232 said:

If it was that critical to the health of the corporation, it would be baked into the fare. [we always tip extra but I don’t believe anyone has a right to call anyone out on tipping].  

+1👍

On 4/30/2024 at 10:05 AM, bala1130 said:

I would not consider it an upgrade. We stayed in an Infinity Balcony on Icon a few months ago and didn’t like it. To us it felt like an Oceanview cabin with a window you could open. We prefer an Oceanview Balcony where you have your own small outdoor space. Having said that, it you are someone who doesn’t use the balcony often during a cruise and you don’t mind missing the traditional balcony experience, the extra inside space an Infinity Balcony offers can be a big plus.