Staying in Los Angeles the night before our Cruise - Mexico Cruise

Hello!

We are looking for advice and anyone's experience on where to stay the night before departing out of Los Angeles. We are booking a Royal Princess cruise to Mexico in March 2026 and want to stay in L.A. the night before and not feel rushed.

Does anyone know where is a good place to stay? Any place where you can park and leave your car?

Thank you for any advice and experiences shared!

I would either stay near the airport (not much around there but cheaper), or get a room at the Double Tree or Crown Plaza in San Pedro.  

You either need transportation the day you arrive or the day of embarkation.  

You could also fly into Long Beach.  There are some nice hotels around the airport and walking distance to Whole Foods and a slew of restaurants.  Many hotels have airport to hotel shuttles.  Same thing...need an UBER to get to the port.

If we're sailing from San Pedro, we like the Double Tree. They have a shuttle to and from the cruise terminal. If you're driving, they offer a "park and stay" package, which is nice. They give my hubby warm chocolate chip cookies when we check in. 

We always stay at Crowne Plaza. They have a shuttle to the port and, like Double Tree, have a package where you can leave your car there during your cruise. We did take advantage of that one time. You will likely get the most advice to stay at either Crowne Plaza or Doubletree.

We usually stay at park at Crown Plaza. When the cruise gets back I walk over to get the car and avoid having to wait for a shuttle.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago had a good stay at Crowne Plaza with a cruise package that included an overnight stay, buffet breakfast, shuttle to/from the port and parking our car during our 10 day cruise. That was only $100 more than parking our car at the port so it was a good option for us. We took the first shuttle to the ship & instead of taking the shuttle back to the hotel I walked 15 minutes to get our car & returned to the port to pickup my wife and our luggage.

There are a couple of restaurants within a short walk from the hotel.

I’m going against the popular opinion but I didn’t like Crowne Plaza a few weeks ago. Old and musty and I got an upgraded room per lady checking me in.
In its favor the location is great and so is the breakfast buffet. Everyone on the staff was very nice. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TRLD said:

We usually stay at park at Crown Plaza. When the cruise gets back I walk over to get the car and avoid having to wait for a shuttle.

Has anyone stayed at both hotels who has an opinion which is better? I believe the doubletree may be more expensive but i’m not sure if any other differences. (I’m leaving for a pacific coastal from there)

Edited by latebuyer

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Has anyone stayed at both hotels who has an opinion which is better? I believe the doubletree may be more expensive but i’m not sure if any other differences. (I’m leaving for a pacific coastal from there)

Doubletree is a little nicer, but more isolated. Crown Plaza is located closer to the port and has a number of restaurants close by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TRLD said:

Doubletree is a little nicer, but more isolated. Crown Plaza is located closer to the port and has a number of restaurants close by.

This is the "right" answer. People have their own likes and dislikes, but overall the CP is a better location. The terminal is even walkable.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 11:23 AM, latebuyer said:

Curious is there any where to buy canned pop near crowne? Have a separate thread about buying pop before you get onboard.

There are several convenience stores walking distance, as well as Cabrillo Liquors & Fine Wines and then a Von's Supermarket just about one mile away.

1. I'm Hilton brand loyal and we stayed at the Doubletree.  It wasn't one of my best experiences at a Hilton property.  We got in late and the shuttle to the ship was sold out so we had to RSVP an Uber.  Rooms were a little tired and dark.  We ended up with a 3rd floor room overlooking the courtyard and there was a wedding reception with very loud music.  I went down to the front desk and asked how much longer and they told me they had to shut down at 10:30 PM, which I'm good with but come 11:15 and then 11:30 I'm not OK.  Pro: the food at the restaurant was excellent as was the service.  It sits directly on the marina with outside meal seating so much better view than the CP.  I would stay again but would book a marina view room.      

Long shot but does anyone know the traffic situation on a friday? I'm annoyed the cruise leaves on a saturday. Or how can i find out? Not sure if going to san pedro direct or staying at long beach would be better. I'd like to coordinate my flight so i'm not stuck in traffic. I'm almost wondering if its just better to stay in an lax hotel the friday night and ubering on the saturday.

Friday 4-7PM is as bad as LAX=LA traffic gets. I hate the LAX area but if a flight arriving at 5PM was all I could get, I'd consider staying by LAX. A flight arriving 6PM or later I'd head to San Pedro. By the time you get off a 6PM arrival, walk to baggage claim, get your luggage and get an Uber or cab, it will be late enough that traffic is decreasing.

Friday evening is the worst and pray it doesn't rain or there's a big crash or three day weekend.  Saturday morning will be a walk in the park.  If I didn't get in before 1400 hrs at the latest I would stay in the LAX area.  Unless you wait until after 2100 hrs it won't be worth the time in traffic and that's on a good day.