Shorts in the MDR -

Not to start 'that thread', but other than on formal nights can I wear shorts in the MDR? Maybe more so for breakfast and lunch for the MDR? And for the complementary restaurants like Jasmines or the Sushi Bar at dinner? Still working on a packing list for this 32-nights and trying to slim down my day-wear options. 😁

1 minute ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Not to start 'that thread', but other than on formal nights can I wear shorts in the MDR? Maybe more so for breakfast and lunch for the MDR? And for the complementary restaurants like Jasmines or the Sushi Bar at dinner? Still working on a packing list for this 32-nights and trying to slim down my day-wear options. 😁

NCL doesn't do 'formal nights'.

The NCL dress code only requires long pants in IIRC, one of the MDRs and a couple of the specality restaurants, Le Bistro and Ocean Blue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

The largest of the main dining rooms, Le Bistro and Ocean Blue require long pants!

There are no true formal nights!!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

NCL doesn't do 'formal nights'.

The NCL dress code only requires long pants in IIRC, one of the MDRs and a couple of the specality restaurants, Le Bistro and Ocean Blue.

What's Ocean Blue? Guess I should've specified that I'm on the Norwegian Jade. So the long pants requirement is for MDR dinner only?

Edited by dmwnc1959

Just now, dmwnc1959 said:

What's Ocean Blue? Guess I should've specified that I'm on the Norwegian Jade. 
So the long pants requirement is for MDR dinner only?

Le Bistro and Grand Pacific!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

The largest of the main dining rooms, Le Bistro and Ocean Blue require long pants!

EDITED to add posted at the same time as yours..

So, for Norwegian Jade that would be Grand Pacific? 

Edited by dmwnc1959

Posted (edited)

EDITED to add posted at the same time as yours..

So, for Norwegian Jade that would be Grand Pacific? 

Yes!

Edited by ggTexasGal
fixed typo

4 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Was hoping to be able to do breakfast and lunch in Grand Pacific and get away with shorts? The ones I have border on semi-dress shorts, sort of like Oxford cotton twill or classic khaki chino shorts.

Just now, dmwnc1959 said:

Was hoping to be able to do breakfast and lunch in Grand Pacific and get away with shorts? The ones I have border on semi-dress shorts, sort of like Oxford cotton twill or classic khaki chino shorts.

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch.  You should be fine for those meals.

Just, long pants and collared shirts for dinner!

• Thanks 1

I never have problem wear shorts to MDR for breakfast or lunch. 

The "official" rule is you have to wear pants for dinner in MDR. But the during my previous cruise on Sky in March, I was surprised that shorts were allowed in MDR during dinner since it's a Caribbean cruise. I confirmed this exception with maître d'. And many guys did wear shorts during dinner on this cruise. Other specialty restaurants (except Le Bistro) also allowed wearing shorts for dinner on this cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

But only in the "fancy" MDR. The other dining room you will be fine in shorts. My husband never bothers wearing anything other than shorts for dinner unless we decide to go to one of the restaurants that required longer pants and those vary by ship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ggTexasGal said:

I'll probably pack three pair of wrinkle-free long khakis for dinner. That should be more than enough. Plus a half dozen shorts of different colors. And some shoes that are flexible as casual dinner-wear and day-wear. One pair of sneakers in addition to the ones I'll be wearing on the plane. And a few pair of blue jeans for Alaska. Trying to keep everything under one standard check-in suitcase and one carry-on.

2 minutes ago, dhanakorn said:

The "official" rule is you have to wear pants for dinner in MDR. But the during my previous cruise on Sky in March, I was surprised that shorts were allowed in MDR during dinner since it's a Caribbean cruise. I confirmed this exception with maître d'. And many guys did wear shorts during dinner on this cruise. Other specialty restaurants (except Le Bistro) also allowed wearing shorts for dinner on this cruise.

That's one aspect of this cruise I was looking at, since the first two weeks are basically hot and humid climates while going from Florida down through the Panama Canal up the coast through El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Mexico. I think from San Francisco up to Whittier and then back down to Vancouver it'll be cold. 

4 minutes ago, dhanakorn said:

I never have problem wear shorts to MDR for breakfast or lunch. 

No. This is not true. It is ship-dependent. I'm looking at the dailies from my Viva cruise. The only place where long pants are required in Le Bistro. Even Hudson's (the more fancy MDR) doesn't require long pants at dinner.

You aren't allowed to wear tank tops or baseball caps on the Viva.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ggTexasGal said:

You probably will benefit from the "$34 fill the laundry bag" if you need to have things cleaned during your trip.

I had planned on using Los Angeles as my laundry day, but now that I'm trying to pack fewer clothes I'll definitely take advantage of the $34 laundry bag deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

The "...long pants in one MDR...." varies by ship. 

On some ships, shorts are fine in all MDRs. 

When in doubt, check the dailies for your particular cruise. 

I'm hoping that maybe Norwegian Jade will be a little bit more relaxed and casual, especially since this is a longer repositioning cruise? I had mentioned in another thread that I was going to pack a light sports jacket, but was told that wasn't necessary. 

3 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

That's one aspect of this cruise I was looking at, since the first two weeks are basically hot and humid climates while going from Florida down through the Panama Canal up the coast through El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Mexico. I think from San Francisco up to Whittier and then back down to Vancouver it'll be cold. 

Your vacation sounds wonderful. I hope that you both have a wonderful time and take home great memories!

• Thanks 1

Just now, ggTexasGal said:

Your vacation sounds wonderful. I hope that you both have a wonderful time and take home great memories!

THANKS! I do a little planning every day, little things like researching some of the new ports and what there is to do, watching youtube travel videos on how to pack lightly, checking the shore excursions on my bookings to see what new things pop up - I already have 9 booked - and checking what time sunrise and sunset is for each port against what time we arrive and depart. Loved watching the NCL bridge cams as the ships moved up the West Coast and made note of where they docked. It's a lot of fun! 

• Like 1

THANKS! I do a little planning every day, little things like researching some of the new ports and what there is to do, watching youtube travel videos on how to pack lightly, checking the shore excursions on my bookings to see what new things pop up - I already have 9 booked - and checking what time sunrise and sunset is for each port against what time we arrive and depart. Loved watching the NCL bridge cams as the ships moved up the West Coast and made note of where they docked. It's a lot of fun! 

It seems that you have things well managed and you are set-up to have a grand time.

Again, wishing the best!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Shorts are allowed in all Fiji g rooms for all meals except Le Bistro and Ocean Pacific MDR for dinner. 

• Like 1